Page 1 of 2
talk about sXe music, sXe lifestyle, pretty much whatever having to do with straight edge and/or hardcore punk.
this does NOT belong in ska / punk
Quote by xburnitdownx
what the hell? free box??
Quote by xinal

hardcore punk and straightedge are totally associated together man.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
why? straight edge is a form of punk music and a lifestyle originating in punk. plus, minor threat were straight edge. thats reason enough for any post to be worthy of punk forum.
seriously i havent heard much circle jerks and i cant tell if that's sarcasm or not but i like what i've heard haha.
Circle Jerks aren't straight-edge. They're like anti-straight-edge.

Aren't (westcoast) Youth Brigade straight-edge? If so then they're the only straight-edge band I like, that I know of. And I've heard good things about Gorilla Buiscits but I haven't heard them.

I don't think it should be counted as a style of music though, it's just a personal thing that people in bands go by. I don't even belive it's truly a "philosophy." I think it should just be a word that describes people who don't drink (or moderatly drink at the legal age), don't do drugs (except for medicines), or have pre-marital sex.

I am in no way straight-edge.
Quote by the glue man
I think it should just be a word that describes people who don't drink (or moderatly drink at the legal age), don't do drugs (except for medicines), or have pre-marital sex.

ahahaha
Do you guys think Minor Threat and the Circle Jerks should be grouped in the same category? They're both "hardcore" but have totally different views on some things.

Smells Like Teen Spirit just came on the radio. I lolled.

Nothing to do with anything. Sorry.
Quote by the glue man
Do you guys think Minor Threat and the Circle Jerks should be grouped in the same category? They're both "hardcore" but have totally different views on some things.

Smells Like Teen Spirit just came on the radio. I lolled.

Nothing to do with anything. Sorry.

funny nonetheless.

oh and i think straight edge punk is a different thing of punk cuz it's so different in views and whatnot.
Quote by sargasm
It's not punk if it's not fueled by heroin.

not necessarily... my hatred is plenty fuel....
I just saw a thing on the HBO show Big Love about sXe, here's how they were portrayed:

The tattoo is a right of passage, the beat up the kid because of his paligamist parents, they don't like gay people, they think you're with them or against them, and they use Hitler style excuses for violence.

I think this was quite accurate to how most Straight Edgers are.
Quote by pinheadslts75
I just saw a thing on the HBO show Big Love about sXe, here's how they were portrayed:

The tattoo is a right of passage, the beat up the kid because of his paligamist parents, they don't like gay people, they think you're with them or against them, and they use Hitler style excuses for violence.

I think this was quite accurate to how most Straight Edgers are.

meh well i think of straight edge as like ian mackaye's style ya know.

but i am violent. not hitler style. but violent.

and i dont mind gay people.
I don't mind violence, but if you use religion as your excuse for it, then you deserve to be shot, hung upside down, and paraded through the streets of Rome like the fascist you are.
Quote by pinheadslts75
I don't mind violence, but if you use religion as your excuse for it, then you deserve to be shot, hung upside down, and paraded through the streets of Rome like the fascist you are.

hahaha nice, nice.

the only religion i dont like is the kind of christianity that cant accept any diversity so they're always trying to shove their BS down your throat. i HATE that.
I'm against organized religion as a whole. I don't agree with many ideals and contradictions that are present in all religions that are accesible to the public.
the whole sxe "movement" is bull**** to me. I mean, i think its good that they have that outlook on life with trying to be good and stuff but dont make it some stupid thing that gets its own genre in music and gives a bunch of trendy baseball hat and hoodie wearing karate-seizure having scene kids a reason to jump each other and "stand up for your beliefs" and all that other supposed deep meanings hardcore kids think they stand for. if youre straightedge then thats really good for you but noone else cares, you dont need to fly it on tee shirts and try to make it a stupid click gang kind of thing.
Quote by pinheadslts75
I'm against organized religion as a whole. I don't agree with many ideals and contradictions that are present in all religions that are accesible to the public.

screamingcheeto you're right the "movement" or whatever is pretty much BS i'm just talking about like sXe in punk music and like the original straight edge not the crap like you're talking about like "being good" and whatever.
I don't know a single straight edge punk. Straight edge hardcore kids- yes, but punk, no.

I think that there are some pretty big straight edge threads in the Hardcore forum so you might want to check there.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
I don't know a single straight edge punk. Straight edge hardcore kids- yes, but punk, no.

I think that there are some pretty big straight edge threads in the Hardcore forum so you might want to check there.

no no no hardcore.
Quote by kickabadger
meh well i think of straight edge as like ian mackaye's style ya know.

but i am violent. not hitler style. but violent.

and i dont mind gay people.

But Ian MacKaye's style was about moderation, not cutting it out of your life completely. He drinks.

Anyway I think straightedge is a bit **** really, if I ever want to leave the booze alone, I'm not gonna call myself straightedge.
Quote by ScreamingCheeto
the whole sxe "movement" is bull**** to me. I mean, i think its good that they have that outlook on life with trying to be good and stuff but dont make it some stupid thing that gets its own genre in music and gives a bunch of trendy baseball hat and hoodie wearing karate-seizure having scene kids a reason to jump each other and "stand up for your beliefs" and all that other supposed deep meanings hardcore kids think they stand for. if youre straightedge then thats really good for you but noone else cares, you dont need to fly it on tee shirts and try to make it a stupid click gang kind of thing.

ok
STOP
you are entitled to your opinion.
but facts man!!!
genre of music, no, straightedge grew out of hardcore punk, therefore there are quite a few hardcore punk straightedge bands, because the members of these bands choose to promote there own sobriety.
"trendy baseball hat and hoodie wearing karate-seizure having scene kids"
no..just no
these are the type of people destroying what it means to listen to hardcore
there shouldnt be a fashion asociated with loving music, you should dress as you like, not as your told, and the whole "hardcore dancing" into which your refering...just shouldnt happen, what ever happened to going to a local show, moshing, leting yourself go and stagediving, singing along with the band! not beating up anybody within 5 feet of you!

i personaly believe that if you want to promote the edge. do it in your own way,
do not try and force it upon other people, it should be a choice, not a rule. i see these people beating the crap out of people for driking.its ridiculous! you cant beat up the majority of the world just because they enjoy a drink, by all means stand up for yourself, but dont go giving a positive movement a bad name!

oh and the whole gang thing.
theres none of that **** here in england,
because we dont have any fags like you associated (baseball cap etc)
we have people who know what they like, respect the edge, respect hardcore and respect themselfs!

afterall, hardcore is meant to be a brotherhood
Any straight-edge punk is a friend of mine
Quote by xstraightedgex

we have people who know what they like, respect the edge, respect hardcore and respect themselfs!

afterall, hardcore is meant to be a brotherhood

Bollocks, I've seen loads of hardcore kiddies with baseball/fidel castro caps and hoodies. I dont think I've ever met anyone who listens to hardcore that didnt dress like that or in the fashioncore style. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

And also I find it funny how the majority of those kids that I've seen come from Hertfordshire, one of the richest, least ghettoized areas I know.
we had a thread on this a bit ago. i know, because i started it xD

and i'm not getting into this one, so i'll kindly step out
Quote by DanRev
Bollocks, I've seen loads of hardcore kiddies with baseball/fidel castro caps and hoodies. I dont think I've ever met anyone who listens to hardcore that didnt dress like that or in the fashioncore style. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

And also I find it funny how the majority of those kids that I've seen come from Hertfordshire, one of the richest, least ghettoized areas I know.

yeah, id look harder
im not goin off on one or owt
evry man there own and that
but, people that dress like that, i guarantee are the people that think that hardcore is about screeching guitars and growling vocals.
and its just not.

try looking up www.howsyouredge.com or something like that.
there isnt anybody that dresses like that
if u go on the interviews bit, theres pics from shows.
propper hardcore
haha, that looks kinda like a singer from a nyhc band
warzone or something
funny ****
like, a fat version of the cro mags singer
Quote by sargasm
It's not punk if it's not fueled by heroin.

Was that sarcasm? Cuz if it wasn't, that view is pretty messed up. So what if a punk isn't fuelled by drugs, it doesn't make him less punk in any way, does it?
Quote by Adarsh
Was that sarcasm? Cuz if it wasn't, that view is pretty messed up. So what if a punk isn't fuelled by drugs, it doesn't make him less punk in any way, does it?

look at who said it.
sargasm

kind of bares a resemblance to the word
SARCASM
Quote by xstraightedgex

So you're little hXc sXe crew doesn't like homosexuals?

I think "straight edge" is silly. There's nothing wrong with not doing drugs or drinking, but I think it's ridiculous to go around bragging that you're "sXe." It seems like more of a fashion or trend to me. I mean, I could go to Hot Topic and buy a shirt that says "Straight Edge." That's sounds like trendy fashion to me.
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.
Quote by yeahyeah

You got that right.

There were straight edge punks a looooooooooooong time ago.
I used to see a bunch of punks with mohawks and liberty spikes with Xs on their hands.

The guitarist in my 80's punk band was like that, but he grew his mohawk in and had long hair and was into Motorhead, Plasmatics, UK82 ,'77 punk and pub rock.
He never wore a hoodie in his life.

Quote by the glue man
I think there should just be a word that describes people who don't drink (or moderatly drink at the legal age), don't do drugs (except for medicines), or have pre-marital sex.

I changed one word of what you wrote, because it sums up how I feel.

I be a punk rocker who doesn't drink, or do drugs (but feel strongly that hemp should be legal) and I don't fornicate.

I hate every band that has ever been "straight edge" barring Government Issue, so the "straight edge" tag doesn't fit.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
What about sexy? Ian Mackaye's head is really shiny. sXe actually means sexy, Ian's head.
Quote by sargasm

Which is funny because the hardcore scene, much like school sports, owes a decent portion of it's membership to repressed homosexuals.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Quote by neidnarb11890
So you're little hXc sXe crew doesn't like homosexuals?

I think "straight edge" is silly. There's nothing wrong with not doing drugs or drinking, but I think it's ridiculous to go around bragging that you're "sXe." It seems like more of a fashion or trend to me. I mean, I could go to Hot Topic and buy a shirt that says "Straight Edge." That's sounds like trendy fashion to me.

crew, ****in idiot.
only little scene kid american arseholes that dont know what hardcore is about call themselfs "crews"
i got nothing agains homos, im sayin faggits, like u, a little pussy that doesnt know **** about what there talkin about and jumps to conclusions,
its not about the clothes u wear,
its not about bragging
its not about ****!
its about wanting to live a healthy ****ing life.
if none of u can see that then **** you all
Page 1 of 2