Ok, I'm soon to be purcahsing my recording equipment (I hope) and I am wondering:

-Should I go with a mixerless setup or should I get a mixer.

This is where I hope you guys can help me out. To help me answer this:

-Which is cheaper?

-Which sounds better?

-Which is easier to manipulate?

Im planning on recording my band (Electric, Bass, Drums, Vocals). We usually play Metal (Heavy, Nu, Pure) so thats what we will be mainly recording. My budget isn't huge, probably $1000 AUS Maximum. Cheaper is better.

If you could help it would be much appreciated,
Cheers
++Guns Don't Kill People++

++Fish Do++
Get an 8 channel mixer that interfaces via firewire or usb2 (whichever your computer has).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Im in much the same boat as you.... What ive found is a 16 track Zoom recorder, 8 input, and you can link it to your computer to mix/edit it how you want via cubase....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if you plan on recording drums you need a mixer.

So I can't just line the drums in from a Mic plugged into a USB interface?

++Fish Do++
Quote by Chevron05
So I can't just line the drums in from a Mic plugged into a USB interface?

you need at least three mics to record drums properly, thats like the bare minimum, recordig with one mic usually does not sound good and it's really hard to get the levels right.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok, So I need a mixer.

Whats a quality but fairly cheap mixer? I need about, 5 lines (3 mics, 2 guitars).

Another question:

-Do I need a midi controller keyboard?

++Fish Do++
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Well.. Recording them well with all the separate micing and panning
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

thats a lie.

you could get a soundcard with preamps. Everything else will then become software based. I think this is a cheaper alternative and sound just as good.
Quote by CircleThisCity
thats a lie.

you could get a soundcard with preamps. Everything else will then become software based. I think this is a cheaper alternative and sound just as good.

I've never seen a sound card with enough simultaneously available mic inputs that wasn't pro level (and thus pretty damn expensive)

Last.fm
I recently purchased a Korg D888.

It's a simple to use, all-in-one unit with 8 inputs. Has a built-in 40 gig hard drive. You mix right on the machine, and transfer the finished product via USB2 to your computer. Nice in that you don't need your computer around to record. Pretty compact and portable, too, although mine's been in the same spot since I bought it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I recently purchased a Korg D888.

It's a simple to use, all-in-one unit with 8 inputs. Has a built-in 40 gig hard drive. You mix right on the machine, and transfer the finished product via USB2 to your computer. Nice in that you don't need your computer around to record. Pretty compact and portable, too, although mine's been in the same spot since I bought it.

my bands rhythm guitarist has one of those, I highly recommend it.

Last.fm
Guys would this work? It's kinda shoddy so let me know if its at all possible.

-I use my amp as my Effects processor (Onboard effects)

-Buy the M-Audiophile sound card I've been looking at

-Buy a mixer (This will take the most searching for)

-Use my 400W stereo as my output monitors. It has a mega-woofer and the likes. I could plug the mixer in through the audio out socket.

-Scavenge software from somewhere (anyone know a place?) or use FL Studio (would this work as I am already getting the mixer?)

So its kinda like:

Fl Studio
^
My Computer
^
M-Audio Soundcard
^
Mixer < Stereo (lined to mixer by Audio in socket)
^
Amp (Lined to mixer by recording out socket)
^
MyGuitar

So what do you know about this? Could it work or is it stupid?

Cheers

++Fish Do++
^ Yeah, i think that should work.
What soundcard are you looking at? M-Audio are usually thought to be pretty good, but not so if you're looking to use it for anything else other than recordings
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
you shouldn't use normal speakers for mixing. Monitors are built special so that they don't color the sound like speakers one would use to listen to music.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ok but the stereo has, audio settings, CD settings, mp3 settings and radio setting. You don't think It would work on the Audio In? And another question, would this blow the speakers?

@ Yngwi3:
Im getting the M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

So will FL studio be enough to get me by?

++Fish Do++
it wouldn't blow the speakers or do anything bad to them. Its just that however you mix your music with stereo speakers will probably sound way different on any other equipment.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
So is it wise to invest in monitors? Or should I just try it out and if its crapola, then I'll go buy some monitors?

Cheers

++Fish Do++