Page 1 of 2
Well i went to go on Pandora like usual when i got this message:
A Day of Silence

Hi, it's Tim from Pandora,

I'm sorry to say that today Pandora, along with most Internet radio sites, is going off the air in observance of a Day Of Silence. We are doing this to bring to your attention a disastrous turn of events that threatens the existence of Pandora and all of internet radio. We need your help.

Ignoring all rationality and responding only to the lobbying of the RIAA, an arbitration committee in Washington DC has drastically increased the licensing fees Internet radio sites must pay to stream songs. Pandora's fees will triple, and are retroactive for eighteen months! Left unchanged by Congress, every day will be like today as internet radio sites start shutting down and the music dies.

A bill called the "Internet Radio Equality Act" has already been introduced in both the Senate (S. 1353) and House of Representatives (H.R. 2060) to fix the problem and save Internet radio--and Pandora--from obliteration.

I'd like to ask you to call your Congressional representatives today and ask them to become co-sponsors of the bill. It will only take a few minutes and you can find your Congresspersons and their phone numbers by entering your zip code here.

Your opinion matters to your representatives - so please take just a minute to call.

Visit www.savenetradio.org to continue following the fight to Save Internet Radio.

As always, and now more than ever, thank you for your support.

-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)

I don't know how long this has been happening, but i want to listen to Pandora

Petition is up

http://www.petitiononline.com/pandora8/petition.html
Last edited by enjoi91 at Jun 26, 2007,
ohh wow that would suck..
so wat does everyone gotta do?
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
I cant contact my local government guy because i dont live in america but i really want to help.Maybe you can put a petition because i really want to help
How do you make a Petition? oh and only 1/3 of my senators are approving it
I say an armed takeover of the RIAA is in order myself, they really need to stop with this sort of bullshit.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'm making a petition right now. It may help, it may not, but im still going to try. I just have one question and that is, how many people should we get to sign the petition?
1000 signatures?
2000 signatures?
Or someone else could make a petition you can make one at http://www.petitiononline.com (it's free just im unsure about what to put for everything)
Last edited by enjoi91 at Jun 26, 2007,
I'm sick of the RIAA. Tipper Gore's campaigning to further diminish freedom of speech while Al Gore's chasing Manbearpig and fighting global warming.

what a team!
Quote by enjoi91
I'm making a petition right now. It may help, it may not, but im still going to try. I just have one question and that is, how many people should we get to sign the petition?
1000 signatures?
2000 signatures?
Or someone else could make a petition you can make one at http://www.petitiononline.com (it's free just im unsure about what to put for everything)
I think about 5000
Quote by enjoi91
deadline = 4th of July?

it has to be before the bill is put up to vote.

Last.fm
Yeah, cause raising licensing prices is the best way to fight piracy and copyright infringement

Jackasses.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it has to be before the bill is put up to vote.

Ok never mind about that then(the july 4th thing)
edit: how do i know when the bill is up for vote? On pandora it already says that its been introduced to the senate and house of representatives.
Quote by Mad Marius
Yeah, cause raising licensing prices is the best way to fight piracy and copyright infringement

Jackasses.

the RIAA is less about fighting piracy and more about milking as much money as possible from from everyone, hence lawsuits against old ladies and pre-teens.

Last.fm
Quote by enjoi91
Ok never mind about that then(the july 4th thing)
edit: how do i know when the bill is up for vote? On pandora it already says that its been introduced to the senate and house of representatives.

if it's just been introduced you have anywhere from a few weeks to several months, try checking c-spans website.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the RIAA is less about fighting piracy and more about milking as much money as possible from from everyone, hence lawsuits against old ladies and pre-teens.

Oh. Well.

That's a relief...
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by enjoi91
I can't seem to find the date that they vote on the bill.

I'm sure the bill is still in committee so it's not on the agenda yet, that means you have some time, but keep track of its progress.

Last.fm
Quote by enjoi91
ok, so what to do until then...

start your petition, try to have it done in a month (a bill like this is unlikely to get rushed)

Last.fm
the industry will be dead in a few years because of those asshats.

i actually had a long conversation in my head today at work about the industry now and i've come to realize it will be flatlined within 5-10 years.

music is slowly going the way painting and all that has gone, out of the public eye.

which is ok though, at least the only ones who will buy it will be the ones who love it.
Quote by Avopeac
the industry will be dead in a few years because of those asshats.

i actually had a long conversation in my head today at work about the industry now and i've come to realize it will be flatlined within 5-10 years.

music is slowly going the way painting and all that has gone, out of the public eye.

which is ok though, at least the only ones who will buy it will be the ones who love it.

I don't think music is going to be out of the public eye just like that, though the current recording industry is likely to collapse under its own weight, the smaller labels are already getting more powerful.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I don't think music is going to be out of the public eye just like that, though the current recording industry is likely to collapse under its own weight, the smaller labels are already getting more powerful.

well i mean it's going to be nothing people think about all the time.

hits? they'll keep getting smaller and smaller.

but you're right about indies. we'll go back to regional scenes finally also.

bands in the south will sound entirely different from bands in the north and they'll still hear each other.
Quote by Avopeac
well i mean it's going to be nothing people think about all the time.

hits? they'll keep getting smaller and smaller.

but you're right about indies. we'll go back to regional scenes finally also.

bands in the south will sound entirely different from bands in the north and they'll still hear each other.

yeah I think the hits might get smaller, but not too small, my opinion is that it will most likely be similar to what it was like in the 50s and early 60s.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah I think the hits might get smaller, but not too small, my opinion is that it will most likely be similar to what it was like in the 50s and early 60s.

mhm, and with less money involved, you lose the sharks.

till it gets bigger (we all know it will) and it all repeats itself.

we'll see the first full cycle in our lifetime.
of course you also have the internet now, which is going to impact things in ways that still haven't been fully predicted yet. I think it's going to be a good time to be a music fan or a musician.

Last.fm
People! The time of reason has died. Its time for armed militia takeover of the U.S.A to stop this RIAA ****. Ok now i want everyone to get your hands on guns, then all of UG will meet outside the white house and take over this place, then we will name the country The United UG States of America, were music rules

But in all seriousness when will they stop trying to grab money, artists and record companys make enough as it is...
Wow. Where's the petition? It must be signed!
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Well, I'm not going to stand for this. If they close our radio stations, we'll build new ones!

I, personally, won't just let them close the UG radio which we all (should) know and love. This station has, over the past few days, opened my eyes to an entirely new world of music, and I'm going to try my damndest to keep it going, even if I have to donate 20 bucks a week every week for the life of the station!
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
This is bloody disgraceful, they are trying to rock the foundations of the internet, the bastards!
This only applies to sites within the US, right?
They might take down Pandora....
but remember on here....

This Is.........

UG RADIOOOOo!!!!!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by captainjackass
3/4 of my senators are already trying to save internet radio

Out of 4? There's two senators to a state.
Sent from my iPad.
Maybe one's schizophrenic.

did I spell that right?
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Page 1 of 2