hey everyone

i dont actually have an s470 but gettin it in $400s time
just want your opinion. what would you think if i put a dimarzio FRED in the bridge and a paf pro in the neck. i want a fred because i love satriani's powerful harmonics, and i like the paf pro on the bridge because i reckon it'll sound like dimebag's neck leads. i don't want somthing too powerful for the bridge because i stilll want some of the guitar's natural tone to shine. i play mostly hard rock, classic rock, and some cleans like the doors, but have a single coil for that which i might upgrade on www.guitarfetish.com.

btw, i saw on the ibanez website that you take off some springs or somthing from the back and it becomes fully floating. would you have to take the strings off to change this due to the tension? its confusing :S
The bridge is fully floating no matter what you do. The ZPS unit just stiffens it up and adds extra return force when you're using the bar. You can remove it, but I think you have to take the entire block out to do so (haven't done it to my s470...yet!). You'd probably sacrifice some tuning stability by taking it out. Not sure how by how much, though.

As for the pups, remember, Satriani uses a basswood guitar, so Freds in a JS1000/1200 will sound a little different than what they'd sound like in a mahogany s470. But if you're in the US, you can take advantage of Dimarzio's 30 day satisfaction guarantee and exchange the Fred for something else if you don't like it.

I'm going with a Mo' Joe and a PAF Joe for my older 540S Saber. Still haven't decided on what to use for my s470. I actually like the neck pup, but the bridge is way way too muddy for my tastes.

The FRED is still classified as a medium output pickup, so it shouldn't be too hot or sterile.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
ok thanks. i was gonna get the evolution, but i thought it might be a bit too hot
will be playing with school amps mostly. a few carvin tube's, and a peavey classic 50. mine is a mg15, (dont say it, i know) but i use a digitech df-7 for distortion.
Quote by forsaknazrael
An amp is like 80% of your tone. Don't worry about changihng pickups just yet...

10 percent gear, 90 percent player

On topic:
I think that you should go with your choices for pickups, for the kind of music you play it seems logical to get those kind of pickups ! Tell us about them after you get them too
Quote by EpiPaul
mine is a mg15, (dont say it, i know) but i use a digitech df-7 for distortion.

You won't notice a pickup change
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
You won't notice a pickup change

mmm... sorry mate. but i noticed a HUGE difference between stock epiphone pickups and a JB. same with the amps at school. guess i'll just go with an evo then if i don't like the stock pups.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, you noticed a huge different in output...of course. The JB is twice the output of a stock Epi pup. You'd have to be deaf to not notice. But to notice the subtle improvements in tone? An Alnico V magnet VS Alnico II? I don't think so.

Have you heard the stock s470 bridge pup? Swapping it out will make a difference :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
wait, is pup= pickup ?
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.