so right now i have $300 dollars to spend on some crutial guitar gear. I need new pickups and a decent halfstack. theres a good looking Crate powerblock on ebay for $105. Id probably get cheap behringer cabinet for around $250 new. so my subtoatal would be $355 if i wanted to get a new amp. btw, the amp im running on now is a 30 watt vintage sears ministack with two 10" speakers.

so the other coice would be to get a EMG H4 passive pickup new for $80.
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
all crate halfstacks are usually dismissed- i personally havn't tried them, but those EMG's are terrible
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Get nothing.

Save your money for a cheaper tube combo. I came across a $450 100w tube combo yesterday, just look around.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
If you're gonna get anything decent with that money, spend it all on a set of active EMGs or save for a better stack.
Try Harley Benton cabs, they're very cheap and are equipped with celestions. A rehearsal facility I visited used them and they're excellent value for money.
Find them at www.thomann.de
ohai little sig.
if you're saving for "crucial" gear, don't cheap out on it
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The only thing you deffo need at the moment is a new amp - I wouldn't bother with the Powerblock though,or any stack TBH. You don't need one for starters, and anyting stack-like for that budget will be absolute pants. You could, however, get a decent used combo if you hunt around and are prepared to wait for a good deal....or you could just grab something like a Cube 30 or possibly the Tech 21 amp new. I've never played the Tech 21, but if it's essentially a Sansamp with a speaker it should sound pretty damn good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Those pickups are pretty weak and the powerblock should be only used as a backup amp .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why do you NEED new pickups?

because i still have stock pickups in my Les Paul. and thanks for the advice guys
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
^ oh noes stock pickups call the UN!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the zakk wylde 81/85 set for the lp here is some pics of mine

put the 85 in the neck and the 81 in the bridge for the zakk wylde tone and nick's
that is true black label tone!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
^
that blue quilt-top is beautiful, but he needs a better amp
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
what kind of amp do u have
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by clomon
Get the zakk wylde 81/85 set for the lp here is some pics of mine

put the 85 in the neck and the 81 in the bridge for the zakk wylde tone and nick's
that is true black label tone!

You're forgetting the most integral part of the "black label tone". Zakk's JCM800's.
Although on the latest stuff, he used a couple of Les Paul Jrs with P-90's through Roland JC-120 for cleans..
If you need new gear, don't get the bottom of the barrel stuff. Passive EMGs and an amp that sells for $99 new is something no one should ever have to consider buying. Save up your money for a nice amp. A nice combo will absolutely murder a crappy half-stack. New pickups won't make that much of a difference unless you've got a nice amp to bring out all the character and tone that a nice pickup has to offer.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
here is nicks bls tone camo emgs

Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
The Powerblock is only good if you want power without cost AND you're running some nice effects before it; a POD would be perfect. For anything else it's pretty shite.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."