Hi guys, I'm not really a regular in the bass section, in fact I'm about to take it up. I'm already a guitar player, and I've made an order for a Mexican Jazz bass.

What I need now is an amp - for around £150, perhaps stretching to £200. I understand that I'm not going to get a great amp for that price - but I want something that won't completely ruin my sound. Plus, I won't need it for gigging or such - just bedroom practice.

I'll be playing mostly QOTSA, some rock, funk, jazz, blues, etc.

So...The question is...can you help out?

Cheers.

Ooh, also, yes, I can go used.
I see a lot of Peaveyy TNT's knocking around the used market for £150-ish. Not my favourite amp (I prefer Laney/Ashdown), but £150 for that much amp is pretty good.

The used market is fickle, though. You might be better off looking at one of the smaller Laney RB's. Personally, I'd say stay well away from Marshall, whose practice combo's are positively criminal for what you get.

EDIT: Damn you smb, you ninja!
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Ashdown electric blue, either the 12-180 or the 15-180. You could go with the others but with the ashdown you'll find that you really just won't have to buy a better one for a while, like until you start actually gigging. Other than that, avoid behringer like a plague.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
I like the Electric Blue series too, actually. Definately get the 15"er, though. Makes all the difference.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I gig with the 1x15 electric blue at the moment and it holds up un-miced
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Caustic
I see a lot of Peaveyy TNT's knocking around the used market for £150-ish. Not my favourite amp (I prefer Laney/Ashdown), but £150 for that much amp is pretty good.

The used market is fickle, though. You might be better off looking at one of the smaller Laney RB's. Personally, I'd say stay well away from Marshall, whose practice combo's are positively criminal for what you get.

EDIT: Damn you smb, you ninja!

Haha

I second everything this guy has said though. He's recommended all the right stuff
About €225.
mmmmmm i dont think there are any good amps on that price....... there are amps.......but not good ones.......anything in that price range must be about the same.......maybe the fender rumble 60?
All of the amps I mentioned (cheap / used Ashdown, Laney RB's and used Peavey TNT's) are all excellent for that range. I didn't think of Fender Rumbles, but they're fairly good too.

Remember he's only looking for a bedroom amp too. He can get a damn fine low-wattage amp for that much.
if its not for gigging.....although you could play a smaller gig with them..... the fender rumble 60 and the ones caustic mentioned are pretty decent...