Here is the problem I have been having. I can usually pick up any rhythm part of any song with very little difficulty, but my soloing/lead is really hurting. I can play a lot of solos, but they are usually slow and not nearly as clean as I would like, and until just now I couldn't think of any particular reason why that might be, as I tend to practice for 2-3 hours a day.

As I was sitting here wondering what was going on, I realized that I never, ever use the strap on my guitars. This got me to thinking the I might be putting too much of the weight of the guitar on my fret hand, which could be slowing me down and limiting my fret hand flexibility somewhat, what with having to balance some of the guitar's weight on it and all.

Now I have never in my life taken an actual guitar lesson, so I'm really kinda figuring things out as I go. So I guess my question is, is it generally considered a good idea to wear the strap even when practicing, sitting down and all that? Would taking the weight off my fret hand maybe help some wit the problems I am having?
Well I wear the strap out of habit, but I don't think it would effect the weight much. I sit crosslegged when I play and the guitar just levels out on my lap. All the weight is on my lap.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
see i use the strap all the time... cause i got a gut, makes things easier to do, plus yes it does help keep some stress off your fretting hand as you play as well
I don't think wearing the strap would make too much of a difference. If you're sitting down, you're resting the weight of the guitar on your leg, your strap would just hang uselessly over your shoulders.

Try it and see if you improve, though.
do you play standing up or sitting down? using a strap sitting doesnt make much difference as you rest the guitar on your leg. with the solos, it just takes time. try learn a few different styles of song, and you should get soloing easier.
most of the weight should be on your leg when sitting any way. what kind of guitar do you have? most of the weight should be in the body.
hi there.....well , i think it firstly depends on how long have u been practising , .... i mean when i sometimes i come across a hard , fast blues solo, or any kind of solo that i kind actually do in the required speed, i leave it and say , i ve only been in the guitar buisness 4 just 2 years..... others have been in it for more than 10, others 20....u catchin my drift , so i say that its not fair that ,logically speaking, im not able 2 do what they have been practisin 4 far more years than me 2 do..... , so...have faith , be patient
well it shouldnt becuase i dont use a strap when i sit down and it doesnt affect my playing.
well it shouldnt becuase i dont use a strap when i sit down and it doesnt affect my playing.

and if your sitting down then the strap wont be taking any of the weight because it will go slack.

^ i made a whoopsie
i think that you are thinking about the strap problem way to much, sounds like you just started playing recently so like german said, just be patient and keep practicing things like scales/techniques and that sort of thing, the soloing will come
Member of the Seinfeld fan club --pm the_experience to join

I like chicken

My Gear:
Ibanez RG321MH
Ibanez JS100
Jay Turser JT-300
VOX AD50VT
Digitech RP14D
I have two guitars, a RG120 and a Peavey Raptor. Both are a tad on the heavy side (both seem heavier than either of my brother's guitars, a strat and a Dean of some sort) and since I practice sitting down in a chair, I notice when I don't hold the neck fairly tight the neck tends to sag down lower than I like it to be.

Of course, it could just be that I need more practice, it's just a little frustrating as I have no problems doing anything from power chords to fingerpicking to fast, bassline-esque stuff (not sure what the technique is called, but a good example is the second part of the opening to Master of Puppets, or Cowboys from Hell even). It's just solos and lead sections that are throwing me off.
Quote by robin142
do you play standing up or sitting down? using a strap sitting doesnt make much difference as you rest the guitar on your leg. with the solos, it just takes time. try learn a few different styles of song, and you should get soloing easier.

i agree with what he said.