Hi All,

A friend of mine just bought an e-acoustic guitar (Romanian well known brand) which he claims sound good except for a strange problem : the low E and the high E strings sound muffled compared to the other strings when plugged in.
Unplugged everything is fine.
Thru the speakers though,those 2 strings are like non-existant.
What could cause this ?

Thanks.
Strings are new and he checked all the controls,I just have the confirmation now.
Thx for the answers.
At this point I'm thinking : could it be the pickup ? And why those two strings and not others ?
Well you see those two strings are farthest away from the center...

Not serious^^^ Sorry, but I have nothing.
) Good one though.Ok,he will check the pickup though and we'll see.
I was thinking there may be some other causes other than this obvious ones,but ...it seems not.
Quote by Blood0NyourLips
) Good one though.Ok,he will check the pickup though and we'll see.
I was thinking there may be some other causes other than this obvious ones,but ...it seems not.

To check a very commom cause for this sort of problem is easy.
First tune the guitar and measure the intonation on the 12th fret. Write down the results.
Then take the strings off the tuning posts to get access to the bridge piece. You must be able to lift it out of its slot with no effort. If you hold the guitar upside down it should fall out by gravity alone. (Be carefull. The pick up strip may dislocate also and has to be put back in its place before you put back the bridge piece)
If you have to use any kind of force to pull this part out there is a good chance that you located the cause of the problem. Correct it by sanding off the bridge piece. If it sticks on the outer sides, sand off both sides by the same amount. If it sticks on the faces, sand off the side facing the bottom edge when the notes on the 12th fret were a bit sharpish, and sand off the side facing the soundhole if the intonation there was a twit on the flat side. If the intonation was spot on, sand off the same amount from both sides.
In fact the change in string length will be minute and may just as well be neglected. I would take it into account though, just to make sure you don't accidentaly enhance any existing deviation from perfect intonation.
If it is only when plugged in , it has to be a rolloff problem in the pickup or preamp.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jun 28, 2007,
I doubt it, but let's not jump into undue conclusions.
Of course plugging it in another amp using another cord is a quick test that should always be done first when trying to trace electrical guitar problems. I naturally assumed this had already been done.
Only when possible problems outside the guitar are ruled out, go for the bridge fitting first. Not only is this a simple test, but also it also tackles the most common cause for problems like this, showing up often immidiately after purchase or after a string change. (One addition to my post above: If it is not too tight in its slot, check if the underside of the bridge piece is straight)
Only if no obvious defects show up in the bridge or pick-up fitting, I'd turn my attention to the electronics, just to keep working systematically towards a solution.
No Marcel i was talking of the preamp or pick up in the guitar as it is acc/elec it has to have a pre amp usually built into the graphic. Or the actual piezo pickup itself one or the other having a rolloff problem. I cant see how it can be a saddle prob as (if reported correctly by the original poster) it doesnt have a problem when unplugged.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Sorry dixi, but it may very well be that a saddle is mounted in such a way that it has no problem at all transferring vibrations to the sound board, but fails to get the message through to the piezo strip. In fact this is exactly what to be expected when a bridge piece fits its slot too tightly.
Nevertheless. Your guess is as good as mine, but guessing doesn't get one to the solution. Ruling out possibilities by systematically testing them is the only way to go forward. It is not that I am convinced that the saddle fitting is at fault; I only think that right now it's the best working hypothesis to get onward.
Hi Marcel yep Im in total agreeance with you (as usual) I may have read too much into the posters abillities but i thought the bridge & strings had been checked & confirmation was posted in a earlier post. But according to the poster (who doesnt own the guitar)[that's sus in itself]
Quote by BloodOnYourLips
Strings are new and he checked all the controls,I just have the confirmation now.
Thx for the answers.
At this point I'm thinking : could it be the pickup ? And why those two strings and not others ?
I highlighted , in his quote, the part i thought pertinant. But i would have thought all the controls, meant just that. but you are probably right , Im well aware of the drama a tight fitting saddle can cause. Just that it has been my experiance that it can be any other string than the big 'E' the tension & size virtually make big 'E' sit & bed almost reguardless of a tight fitting saddle.

My guess sight unseen is that he (or the mate) changed the strings & stuffed up the seating of the piezo. MInd you if it were me that would have been checked & ruled out before a UG thread was started. LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!