Page 1 of 2
Just felt like making a thread on the topic of different styles of punk riffs and guitar styles, discuss different scales, intervals, whatever.

For example, lots of riffs i make are powerchords used fourths and half steps apart, like this:

e-------------------------------------|
b-------------------------------------|
g----------55-5-555-66-6-666----------|
d-44-4-444-55-5-555-66-6-666-66-6-666-|
a-44-4-444-33-3-333-44-4-444-66-6-666-|
E-22-2-222-------------------44-4-444-|

i seriously have no idea what scale or key or anything that riff is but i like it.

so, talk about punk guitar.
NOW!
chords, and f*ck off, the only true genres that deserve the guitar names on it are metal, blues, rock, hardcore and jazz, not your "genre" punk

i seriously have no idea what scale or key or anything that riff is but i like it.

thare's my point, you dont have a **** on theory, you just make idit chords and idiot words in your songs, and you suck. that's why punk doesn't deserve to be called a genre
Last edited by ldnovelo2 at Jun 26, 2007,
Punk is mostly power chords for modern punk, and for the older ones (ramones, The clash, Ect) Its just a couple of chords over and over.
The ramones use the same 3 chords for most of their songs, A, D ,and E
and what the hell is that guys problem. Punk definately uses guitar, making it guitar music by common sense. Narrow minded conformist neo freak.
Last edited by Ian_Hendrix at Jun 26, 2007,
Quote by ldnovelo2
chords, and f*ck off, the only true genres that deserve the guitar names on it are metal, blues, rock, hardcore and jazz, not your "genre" punk

====D

This is a dildo. Please feel free to shove it up your bum hole
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by ldnovelo2

i think the TC hit a nerve in this guy
There is more than one thing i have to say...
Quote by RizzoWashburn
====D

i dont shove that ****, but you really do (<every day and night), so go shove it
Quote by RizzoWashburn
====D

Quote by ldnovelo2
i dont shove that ****, but you really do (<every day and night), so go shove it

beautiful comeback.
Last edited by kickabadger at Jun 26, 2007,
Quote by ldnovelo2

possibly the most idiotic comment on ug
so what if punk isnt the most guitar oriented music ever
dont post in the thread if u hate it so much
but now that u did
go suck a penis u gay a** homophobic b*tch
Quote by Ian_Hendrix
Punk is mostly power chords for modern punk, and for the older ones (ramones, The clash, Ect) Its just a couple of chords over and over.
The ramones use the same 3 chords for most of their songs, A, D ,and E
and what the hell is that guys problem. Punk definately uses guitar, making it guitar music by common sense. Narrow minded conformist neo freak.

hey you dick full of sh*t face, i agree with the first part of your comment, it's just idiot powerchords, and punk might use guitar, but just for that ****, and i fell the right to say that punk guitarrists are the worst guitarrists

1.- no theory (on most)
2.- repetitive chords
3.- lacking ability (no becomes the greatest plucking some chords)
4.- no harmonies, no sense of song, just saying things (not singing) against everyone including you, punks, so f*ck off
I'm wating for Brian to see this thread
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by pucci6d6
possibly the most idiotic comment on ug
so what if punk isnt the most guitar oriented music ever
dont post in the thread if u hate it so much
but now that u did

yes, i might be homophobic, thats why im afriad of you

and sucking penis isn't my job, but i bet you have done it and want me to try, but i say, no
Quote by ldnovelo2

and sucking penis isn't my job, but i bet you have done it and want me to try, but i say, no

seriously i just LOVE your comebacks.
Quote by ldnovelo2

thare's my point, you dont have a **** on theory, you just make idit chords and idiot words in your songs, and you suck. that's why punk doesn't deserve to be called a genre

internet tough guy alert people like that make me glad i'm not into metal

Quote by pucci6d6

And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Yeah Metallica, talk about idiots. How can you go around saying punk is bad when you listen to Metallica...seriously. They're almost as close to Spinal Tap as you can get. All the YEAH-YAHS don't sound idiotic at all. They're so good. Some Kind Of Monster isn't idiotic at all...wait, when was the last time a punk band brought in a mediator so they can all get along and work out they're issues. And how is metal not repetitive. Most metal songs just play the same riff for a few minutes, have some show off play a solo that sounds just like every other metal solo, and then play the same riff some more.

How can you call any kind of music idiotic? Gawd. Has anybody else ever noticed that metal fans are generally the most immature people you'll ever meet? "Dick full of **** face?" You saying somethings idiotic is a pretty good example of someone contradicting themselves.
Quote by ldnovelo2

if thats mmy job then my girlfriend is..a guy?
wait no i know shes not so sorry to spoil ur fantasies
now get out of the punk thrread since u hate punk
Quote by kickabadger
seriously i just LOVE your comebacks.

i know! seriously hes so good at them...
Quote by ldnovelo2

seriously, just die.

EDIT: i think the prick left, so lets talk about some punk guitar shall we?
Quote by pucci6d6
if thats mmy job then my girlfriend is..a guy?
wait no i know shes not so sorry to spoil ur fantasies
now get out of the punk thrread since u hate punk

you girl friend is not a guy(YOU DONT EVEN HAVE) but your boyfriend is a dude, a dude with a big dick you suck, and i dont wanna be in your dick sucking fantasies, bye
Quote by ldnovelo2
you girl friend is not a guy(YOU DONT EVEN HAVE) but your boyfriend is a dude, a dude with a big dick you suck, and i dont wanna be in your dick sucking fantasies, bye

i'm gonna write down these from now on.
Quote by ldnovelo2
hey you dick full of sh*t face, i agree with the first part of your comment, it's just idiot powerchords, and punk might use guitar, but just for that ****, and i fell the right to say that punk guitarrists are the worst guitarrists

1.- no theory (on most)
2.- repetitive chords
3.- lacking ability (no becomes the greatest plucking some chords)
4.- no harmonies, no sense of song, just saying things (not singing) against everyone including you, punks, so f*ck off

have you ever heard punk?
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
well back on topic, what settings do you guys use one your amp to get a good deep distortion?

if been fiddling around with it but with out my pedals i just cant get a good sound. i guess my amp may just be to clean...
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
Quote by BostonLacrosse
well back on topic, what settings do you guys use one your amp to get a good deep distortion?

if been fiddling around with it but with out my pedals i just cant get a good sound. i guess my amp may just be to clean...

well i usually just crank till i get a natural distortion, but when practicing and stuff i usualy use 3 to 5 (occasionally up to 7 when needed) on my distortion, and my tonal settings are always
high-6
mid-8
low-10
with a epi les paul jr and/or dad's 54 gibson les paul gold top
Anywho, ignoring mr. douchebag, I think punk guitar is starting to become a little more complicated. Most bands have switched from barre chords to power chords, but a lot of punk guitarists have been exploring other genres of music. A lot of punk nowadays has more solos and more "hard rock based" leads. I've also noticed that instead of the traditional 3-chord punk guitar, a lot of bands have been using 4-chords
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by kickabadger
well i usually just crank till i get a natural distortion, but when practicing and stuff i usualy use 3 to 5 (occasionally up to 7 when needed) on my distortion, and my tonal settings are always
high-6
mid-8
low-10
with a epi les paul jr and/or dad's 54 gibson les paul gold top

alright cool man thanks ill give that a try
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
Quote by BostonLacrosse
alright cool man thanks ill give that a try

welcome. make sure to do lotsa pick slides btw hahahahaha.
You guys are pretty new so you might not be aware, but you can use this thread if you want to discuss amp settings and such.

Hopefully this thread hasn't completely gone down the drain. This would be a nice place to discuss punk guitar theory.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
^ good idea rizzo, but remember we already haveo ne of those threads.

i find the amount of ADD in this forum is scary, like worse than my lack of atten.........ooh a butterfly!
Quote by original=punk
^ good idea rizzo, but remember we already haveo ne of those threads.

i find the amount of ADD in this forum is scary, like worse than my lack of atten.........ooh a butterfly!

WHERE!!!???
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
You guys are pretty new so you might not be aware, but you can use this thread if you want to discuss amp settings and such.

Hopefully this thread hasn't completely gone down the drain. This would be a nice place to discuss punk guitar theory.

fish.

and that's what i intended this to be, like a punk guitar and bass theory kinda thread.
that idiot kinda ruined it tho...
Quote by kickabadger
dont worry i've been here before lots.

you're probably gonna get banned for having multiple accounts...
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
you're probably gonna get banned for having multiple accounts...

er i never posted that...?
Aw, damn, I missed a good thread
Anyway, I like to use the minor pentatonic scale. I find it works quite well for making super cool punx riffs. And then I play some barre chords. Sometimes I like to use open chords too. And then for solos I usually just screw around with a minor scale, and use a bunch of bends and hammer ons/pull offs.
Also, I usually just use a bit of overdrive. Like Brian says, punx don't use distortion.
My amp settings are usually:
Bass - 4
Mid - 10
Treble - 7
Gain - 5
Channel Volume - 10
And then a tad bit of reverb to help get more of an East Bay Ray tone.
And then I set my guitar to the middle position and turn my neck pickup down to 4 or 5 so it's not too bassy.
And that's how be a punx rawk guitar hero .
Page 1 of 2