Okay, my Ibanez is scaring me now! I have a Floyd Rose with it, and the neck has started to creak when you raise the bar. I mean when you go for a dive, and just as its about to rest off at level again, the neck starts to creak and "pop". I dont want to screw up the neck, but I dont know whats making these noises. It wouldnt be that much of a problem either, but it comes through my amP! What happened?
Is it not your springs catching and then loosening off to quick?

Mine used to do that til I oiled them a little.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
check to make sure the neck bolts are tight, and check the (2) screws or bolts under the 3 locking pads that hold the locking nut on the neck, and make sure they are snug. Also check to make sure the string retainer after the locking nut is low enough, that it's forcing the strings to angle over the top of the locking nut. Look in Mad's FR setup thread for a pic.

EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 26, 2007,
sounds a bit like the strings slipping through the locking nuts to me...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
yeah I have a yamaha that doesnt have a locking nut but it made a pop noise when the strings used to start going over the nut
Quote by mcw00t
sounds a bit like the strings slipping through the locking nuts to me...

I think thats what it is. Ive tried without the nut clamp on and the sound sint there. Whats the prognosis then? Tighten more? Because I dont think I should overtighten, but if I leave them much more loose, the strings will slip out of tuen, and it would defeat the purpose. Help?
Quote by nedthehead
I think thats what it is. Ive tried without the nut clamp on and the sound sint there. Whats the prognosis then? Tighten more? Because I dont think I should overtighten, but if I leave them much more loose, the strings will slip out of tuen, and it would defeat the purpose. Help?

did you check the string retainer like I suggested? That should be pushing the strings down until they rest in the little V's at the top of the locking nut. That should help if the strings are slipping under the pads. Also make sure the pads are aligned correctly, they are flat on only 2 edges.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
How low should the string retainer be? I think mine is low, but not sure. Should the strings be touching the neck?
Quote by nedthehead
How low should the string retainer be? I think mine is low, but not sure. Should the strings be touching the neck?

I've never had them that low, but close. Look at the last picture in Madpickin03's thread.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

See how the the retainer is taking the strings far enough down, where they are complete completely seated on the locking nut.

You should post in there, he may have some more suggestions.
amp clips
amp vids