Hey guys, I've been asked today to play guitar for a big school awards assembly thingy on Thursday, but I honestly don't know what sort of stuff to play.

It'll have to be exciting enough to keep people interested because it'll just be me, and not overly heavy metal or else people won't like it because the parents of students will be there as well.
Funny words.
will you be singing too?
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
play some classic rock. that'll keep both the parents and students entertained. Plus it should offer a cool solo that's not too metal or anything
play something easy you dont wanna mess up at all so go for something with a slower solo
and if u live in the uk play a black sabbath song like war pigs or somethin
i think that you should play either "nutshell" by alice in chains or "crash" by dave mathews band. either of those would be pretty good. good luck
Dee.
"...And the guy thats on the ground, that needs some help, you dont walk up and kick him. If you do that you better be wearing shoes for a while. 'Cause you know what? Trade places with him.. he'll pick you up." Stevie Ray Vaughan
Quote by FRDesign
The godfather theme

That's actually a really good idea

And nah, I won't be singing haha, but yeah, some Sabbath would probably work rather well.
Funny words.
Johnny B. Goode!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Play an up beat song to keep the audience's attention. Try Pride and Joy by SRV or Tush by ZZ Top! Good Luck. Tape your performance and Youtube it!!!!
Improv?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Tuesdays Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Free bird? Maybe the national anthem ;p
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Buckethead:

Welcome to Bucketheadland

Binge And Grab ( instrumental )
Ibanez RGA 121 w/ SD SH-6b & SH-2n Jazz
Ibanez RGA 121
Epiphone G-400 w/ EMG 81&60A
Fender Stratocaster Original 1978 Sunburst
Alvarez Acoustic DY-85

Fender G-Dec 8" 15W

VOX AD120VT 2*12" 120W

KORG AX1500G
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
That's actually a really good idea

And nah, I won't be singing haha, but yeah, some Sabbath would probably work rather well.

Lol god don't play sabbath. People will get so bored sitting listening to you play the same stupid boring riffs without any backing.

Play something tasteful from Steve vai or Eric clapton, Jimi hendrix, just someone like that- stuff you can improve to. Show your talent if you have any
Lenny - SRV.
u'll get the audience, and u'll get the chicks later.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Derek trucks style improvising?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I'd say something well known by Hendrix or Europa by Carlos Santana (very nice smooth song) i suggest you check it out
Surfing with the Alien! sorry, had to. National Anthem with a little improv Hendrix style would be rockin.
Jackson Soloist SL-3
Squire Strat
Crate XT120R
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Dunlop Crybaby
Half the dudes here aren't helping. Play some classic rock, don't try to impress the three metalheads in your school. Play something you can nail some emotion with, and then something slightly energetic. The dude above said Hotel California, I'd go with that on my list.
Quote by Afromentioned
Half the dudes here aren't helping. Play some classic rock, don't try to impress the three metalheads in your school. Play something you can nail some emotion with, and then something slightly energetic. The dude above said Hotel California, I'd go with that on my list.

Hotel California would be cool.
Quote by swe_fender
Buckethead:

Welcome to Bucketheadland

Binge And Grab ( instrumental )

That's a good song.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
ERUPTION!!!im just jokin...unless u want to play that.but otherwise aint talkin about love by van halen or all along that watchtower
Quote by Rush_fan2112
i want to walk down the streets of a very large, populized city (one like toronto, or new york) wearing a wonder woman costume and eating a stick of butter

Quote by figsandbobo
I can eat a 16" no problem.
Midnight by Joe Satriani. Everyone will be amazed by your 1337 tapping skills.
Quote by jetsrule281
Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix.

That is also a crowd pleaser. Fairly easy to.
Be cool.
Pink Floyd. Maybe Another Brick In the Wall or Money. Those songs are well known and will keep almost everybody interested.
Jessica by the Allman Brothers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Is it this Thursday (today...)?

Cause that would be cool, seeing as everyone's still giving suggestions.

Anyway, if not... whatever you do, make sure to use a backing track!
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Hey guys, I've been asked today to play guitar for a big school awards assembly thingy on Thursday, but I honestly don't know what sort of stuff to play.

It'll have to be exciting enough to keep people interested because it'll just be me, and not overly heavy metal or else people won't like it because the parents of students will be there as well.

I was gonna say play something heavy and loud cause parents don't like that stuff
Purple Haze, or Four Horsemen.
Maybe even master of puppets.
Those songs aren't THAT heavy.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...