Page 1 of 2
I'm 16 and in a year or two i should be thinking about applying for the marines however i don't class myself as fit enough. I can run about 6 miles without stopping (i've never timed myself though) I was a good boxer before but i quit due to a severe broken hand and since then my fitness has deteriorated.

So i'm asking anybody who has a history of being in the armed forces especialy the marines how i can improve my fitness without joining a gym (because there is no way i can afford it). The problem is my guitar practice takes over everything and i cannot bring myself to go out and run. I mean like a schedule for exercise, like when is best to go running and for how long.

I also want to increase my upper body strength as i have a few older friends who i don't see much anymore who have joined the marines that tell me upper body strength is crucial. So any good exercises that i can do to improve this area?

One more thing (slightly less important) how do i convince my girlfriend that joining the marines is what i want to do and won't make a bad person out of me? when i tell her i'm going to start training she gets all short tempered and tells me that she doesn't want me to leave her etc.....

thanks a lot
No idea on the fitness but as for the girlfriend, tis your life not hers. Don't let her run it for you. My (ex)girlfriend was telling me to take a gap year so we could go to university together. Then got pissed at me for saying I want to go to Cardiff not Southampton. Anyway, don't let your girl run your life when you are 16.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
one question...................... why the **** would you join the marines.............
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by rage6945
one question...................... why the **** would you join the marines.............

+1

unless you really want discipline.
like my friend who is addicted to everything.
Quote by rage6945

Why wouldn't he? Honourable profession.
I've also been thinking about a military career. Seems like something I might enjoy doing.
You'll only make it through if you truly want to be a marine. Or unless it's easy for you.
Yea dude you must be crazy to join any branch of the military these days. Do you really wanna go be someone's bitch for 4 years? Wait, the government's bitch. That's even worse. It's like signing away your freedom and possibly your life. It's not worth it in my opinion. But if you really want to do it, start doing pushups. I think 6 miles straight is pretty good conditioning, I wouldn't worry about that part. But just do pushups for your upper body.
Quote by Retro Rocker

so is being a doctor, or dentist, or lawyer, or owning a business
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by Alix_D
If the Marines is anything like our army, on paper it's a job with huge benefits and well paid.

He lives in Hull...
But yeah, I think our marines have more elite training than the regular army, don't they?

Quote by rage6945
so is being a doctor, or dentist, or lawyer, or owning a business

I guess we just think differently. I'd rather be there to defend my country so that other people could do those things. Although no way in hell is owning a few cake stores as honourable as being a marine
Slightly ironic really, since I'll be going into law if I don't go into the military.
Last edited by Retro Rocker at Jun 26, 2007,
Go for it. Glad to see someone's supporting our country.
I would reccommend training and try running alittle longer, in the army, they run for about 10 miles, and I think the Marine standards are a little higher.
Creator and member # 1 of the "UREH UREH" Club. PM me to join.
why would i join the marines? because someone has to

thanks for all your constructive comments, i still need to work out how long i should run for and how often :S
Quote by Retro Rocker
He lives in Hull...
But yeah, I think our marines have more elite training than the regular army, don't they?

Well 'Marines' is more of an american term, you never hear them mentioned here! They get 32 weeks of training, the longest in the country.
thanks for that, i may try asking my friends when they get out however thats a long while... does nobody do regular exercise and can point me in the right direction?
If you want to build upper body strength then lift weights, push ups, sit ups etc. Just make sure that you evenly strengthen your left and right side and that you don't only work on your chest and abs, You want to have equal strength in your shoulders and back as well.
If your girlfriend is one of those controlling people who bitch and moan when you do something without their permission or without them, then I say you leave them. You don't need a domineering, power hungry bitch that won't let you be independent for a girlfriend.

Unless that's what you want.

But yeah, if you want to join the marines, go ahead. It's an honorable service to your country. Even if the one leading the country is an idiot *coughbushcough*
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
thanks for that advice, i'll try and do it in a morning if not maybe on a night... is before or after tea time best? or is morning on night better? or does it not make any difference whatsoever?

thanks
Marines do have higher standards. And you have to be able to swim.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
If your girlfriend is one of those controlling people who bitch and moan when you do something without their permission or without them, then I say you leave them. You don't need a domineering, power hungry bitch that won't let you be independent for a girlfriend.

Unless that's what you want.

But yeah, if you want to join the marines, go ahead. It's an honorable service to your country. Even if the one leading the country is an idiot *coughbushcough*

You think Bush is bad? Tommorrow our Prime Minister will be SCOTTISH!
Quote by defcab
Yea dude you must be crazy to join any branch of the military these days. Do you really wanna go be someone's bitch for 4 years? Wait, the government's bitch. That's even worse. It's like signing away your freedom and possibly your life. It's not worth it in my opinion. But if you really want to do it, start doing pushups. I think 6 miles straight is pretty good conditioning, I wouldn't worry about that part. But just do pushups for your upper body.

thats one thins ppl that want to join the marines dont get...mst of the time i dont asnwer when people ask me but its the person next to you...thats what its all about is the person on your left and right. there the people you can depend on, you cn count on, and there brothers and sisters to you. i have to quote the book fallen angels here: peewee siad something along the lines of this: "its great. we all get hte same thing. back home we were **** ppor. when one of my friends got a new stereo, i got nothing. when someone got a new bike, i nidnt get nothing. but here in the army we all get the same thing. u get boots. i get botts. he gets a gun, i get a gun"
so its a good tihing to do if you didnt have anything growing up. im done ranting now.
Quote by We'realltoBlame
And you have to be able to swim.

Read that link I posted, swimming isn't one of their tests. If you can't swim/have weak swimming abilities they help you improve, but it isn't totally nessessary to be accepted.

Quote by 3nemy
thanks for that advice, i'll try and do it in a morning if not maybe on a night... is before or after tea time best? or is morning on night better? or does it not make any difference whatsoever?

thanks

Before meals, I think. As well as making sure you get the most out of your food (which I recommend you eat alot of, in a balanced diet) it will help to better your mental determination.
IE, you could be hungry and tired before setting off on a run, or it may be raining etc. If you can't bring yourself to go out and do it because of some minor discomfort you know that the marines won't be the best career for you. Just dont over-do it

Have you got a family member who owns any training equipment?
Or, if possible, you might be able to prove to your parents that you're determined about this and get them to pay for your gym membership? I know it's a long-shot, but meh. I'm kinda in the same position. College will make things easier with 30 big ones a week, but I'm going job hunting tomorrow anyway.
Quote by Retro Rocker

Sorry.. but.. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
I'd say just think twice about it. Do you really know what these wars going on today are all about? Don't do it just because someone tells you to.

And no, getting your friends killed, or even getting yourself killed is not fun. I don't really think that killing anyone else is a lot of fun either.

Just make sure you know that you support what you are going to do.
i'm not doing because i want to fight a worthwhile war, because frankly alix d is right, as from tomorrow our country is going to be run by a retard. I'm doing it because i have the attitude of a soldier (according to my carreers advisor) nothing puts me off doing something, if there is a risk of death i'll do it. The marines is the job for me
One thing I do know for sure, because I did the assault course at(I think) 40 Commando's base in(again, i think) Taunton about 6-7 years ago. I forget how fast a Marine is supposed to do it(carrying a rifle, 20lbs in your webbing and wearing a helmet), but it's f*cking murder - especially the bit at the end, where you have to do a 200-yard sprint, with a fully kitted out man in a firemans carry.
For the marines, stamina > brute strength.
Quote by 3nemy
i'm not doing because i want to fight a worthwhile war, because frankly alix d is right, as from tomorrow our country is going to be run by a retard. I'm doing it because i have the attitude of a soldier (according to my carreers advisor) nothing puts me off doing something, if there is a risk of death i'll do it. The marines is the job for me

You kind of scare me. You want to become a soldier because you want to kill people?
I think your career advisor should be put away.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

Check it out
Quote by Retro Rocker
Go die. Seriously.

That was a real honourable thing to say...

Check it out
He wants to play CS in real life DUH!

Dude it's not like CS.. if you die there's like no respawn point and FF is ALWAYS on
i'm not sure about the military in your country, but in ours... trust me... if you're in reasonable shape... then basic training will put you in the shape they want you... you don't have to do too much prep before hand.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
i don't know how this thread became a discussion about me personally however like people have said previously, you need to really want to be in the marines and be sure you can put up with any situation which i can so lets sitck to my training please
Kk well if you want upper body strength do hand stand pushups. If you can't do one you'll have to train just standing on your hands at first. When you can do 10... you should be feel more than confident.

Check it out
enough arguing, no flaming thanks
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Marines are pussies
Airborne Infantry ftw
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by 3nemy
i don't know how this thread became a discussion about me personally however like people have said previously, you need to really want to be in the marines and be sure you can put up with any situation which i can so lets sitck to my training please

I'll give you some advice from personal experiences. I'm about to finish my 5 years in the Marine Corps.

First off you don't need to worry about being in good shape. Marine boot camp is more of mental training, almost anyone can get through the physical training. It's basically 13 weeks of mind games so they can break you mentally. I saw the fatest guys lose tons of weight. I went weighing about 170 and left weighing around 155. So no matter what you're going to lose weight, and you'll be in pretty good shape after you leave. Also you don't need to worry about learning to swim (that is if you can't). You'll learn that there. I have known a lot of people who still don't know how to swim.

Also, you might want to think hard about this because you're going to be signing your life away for the next 8 years. I'm not trying to persuade you from doing it, but 8 years is a long time especially if you aren't 100% sure you want to do it. My brother enlisted last summer, and I spent at least a year or more trying to talk him out of it, and guess what...he hates it. There are a lot of downs, a few ups but you really get used to it.

By the way, bootcamp is the easy part...

You're right about one thing though, somebody needs to do it. For all the people that talk sh** about the military, just remember that they were probably too much of a puss to do it themselves. They take for granted that someone is sacrificing their freedom so they can live comfortably.
Last edited by fhjkalfhu at Jun 26, 2007,
Page 1 of 2