Is it wrong to just play tabs, and not chords? or to even completely avoid chords? just wanted to kno, cuz I don't like having to remember stuff, tabs arent that hard to remember,but chords....u have to learn the letters, and all that fun stuff(sarcasm), and it makes me really queasy thinking about it, don't kno why...if it helps any(don't think it will, but just in case) I like to play a lot of old skool green day and pennywise, and I have been playing for about 3 months, and am almost to the point where I can play rhythme guitar without much difficulty, but yet without much ease either
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
trust me...you need chords for every kind of music...even the ****ty ones like Green Day
I started without learning chords, big mistake. Learn basic chords Eg, C D A G E then learn minors then move onto barre chords. it will improve you playing.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Completely ignoring chords is possibly the worst thing any musician can do. Pianists and bassist included. They really are the music. You will learn more from one chord progression than you will from 10 tabs.
its school

and...i don't think music like that requires chords at all...so why bother with it...

but you hopefully will discover real music eventually which requires chords and scales and modes and so on
so LEARN YOUR CHORDS
if you plan on listening to some music some time soon

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
learn the chords...that's what i did

and yeah, it's helpful to any musician. i started out playing piano for like 5-6 years, and when i switched to guitar and learned chords, it made my piano playing a lot better.

ahh simple chords...those were the days
Quote by King_Arthur
Gibson guitar = $500 (guess)

Pack of strings = $5

Messing up your guitar with a bass string = Priceless
honestly, this question is preposterous. if you plan on being a proficient musician, learning chords is absolutely inevitable. music theory, chords, scales, all of these are there to help you not hurt you. they are the most important tools a skilled musician learns to work with. again, if you plan on advancing in your musical career, do not hesitate to learn, and take it slowly, nothing comes quickly. however, if all you plan on doing is being able to play powerchords all day and never advance from that, keep doing what you're doing
^-- didn't mean to be rude, but it's the truth.
thanx for the help, but u didn't need to criticize wat music I listen to
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
yeah, dude even punk<3<3 uses it i mean not often but like drama rama and peoplel ike them unles your doing like emo crap with random **** you dont need to lol
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
yeah, dude even punk<3<3 uses it i mean not often but like drama rama and peoplel like them
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
Quote by hobozach
thanx for the help, but u didn't need to criticize wat music I listen to

i have no problem with punk music, but i'd advise that you listen to a wide variety of styles to develop your own musical persona
Quote by Greg Harper
Completely ignoring chords is possibly the worst thing any musician can do.

not for a drummer
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Quote by Nemesis260
not for a drummer

Sure it is. Because all drummers are egotistical and want to learn every other instrument anyways
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
it wont be that hard to remember them. i thought that at first too but it really wasnt. you just have to practice them and eventually you dont even think about it.
Quote by greendayguitar
Sure it is. Because all drummers are egotistical and want to learn every other instrument anyways

yes it takes a truely talented person to play drums. if you didnt notice that was sarcasm , a waterhead could play drums. no offence to you waterheaded UGer's out there
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Learn everything.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Chords will help your finger dexterity and strengthen your hand. Although frustrating at first, you will be able to create chord shapes without even thinking about it after some time.
start off by playing basic chords like the ones linkin park uses.. hell i was able to play all their songs within 3 months into playing...
playing chords will help your fingering when you look at tabs. specially full bar chords (learning sweeps suck).

just do the basic stuff first. dont think you can do things faster by skipping important parts of guitar playing. chords come first so you can get fingering down, then go to building speed.

oh, and just so you know, real guitarists usually dont use tabs that much. they play by ear and sight. playing solely by tabs can really hurt your playing if someone you're playing with wants you to follow him in a song that you've never heard before. im sure he wont be happy if you have to tell him "hang on, let me go check the tabs for that." then leave him waiting.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Chords help your fingers to be 'smart'. Meaning they can move around and stuff. Instead of just playing 1234 really fast.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by hobozach
Is it wrong to just play tabs, and not chords? or to even completely avoid chords? just wanted to kno, cuz I don't like having to remember stuff, tabs arent that hard to remember,but chords....u have to learn the letters, and all that fun stuff(sarcasm), and it makes me really queasy thinking about it, don't kno why...if it helps any(don't think it will, but just in case) I like to play a lot of old skool green day and pennywise, and I have been playing for about 3 months, and am almost to the point where I can play rhythme guitar without much difficulty, but yet without much ease either

Wait... what?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
Wait... what?
Yeah heh, sent off a boggle in my mind as well, plus tabs often contain chords. Anyway, allow me to join this dog-pile. Learn your chords.

An easy thing to do is just practice chords and chord transitions with your fretting hand while you, say, watch television. I do this silently since my girlfriend is often around and complains when I play and watch TV at the same time. It's not very demanding in terms of time or attention...

And if you're uneasy about chords, it makes me think maybe you're uneasy about learning theory as well. Do that too. Wrap your mind around the music and it will pay large dividends in the long run.

I've passed up my brother in a month of playing, and he's been at it for almost a year. Why? I think it has to do with the fact that all he does is tab and play guitar hero. I taught him chords AND basic theory in my 2nd week of playing, fancy that.
playing music or tabs without knowing chords is like writing without knowing to read
Quote by Khoshaba
yeah, dude even punk<3<3 uses it i mean not often but like drama rama and peoplel like them

Punk = Power chords like crazy.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Trust me if you ever want to really play the guitar you're gonna have to know chords.

You're also gonna have to learn to tune your guitar so don't forget that one. I thought it was harder learning which string when played open was D than remembering which chord was G.

yes it takes a truely talented person to play drums. if you didnt notice that was sarcasm , a waterhead could play drums.

What the hell people? Can any of you actually play drums? wait no, let me refraise that, can any of you actually play drums well? Hate to tell you this, but drums are harder to play than you think, so unless you kno what your talkin about, shut it.

Luvs and Kisses,
emo cookie
"Penis"
"That's right kids, I said penis"
:stickpoke
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Last edited by Emo Cookie at Jun 28, 2007,
only BB King can pull that off...

learn em...

you'll thank us
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Learn the stuff, you have too. Its not hard, and its fun. When you are able to jam with someone, thats when the fun begins, all because you took the time to learn some of this basic stuff.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Emo Cookie
What the hell people? Can any of you actually play drums? wait no, let me refraise that, can any of you actually play drums well? Hate to tell you this, but drums are harder to play than you think, so unless you kno what your talkin about, shut it.

Luvs and Kisses,
emo cookie

It's called a joke.

I completely respect how difficult it actually is to play drums. I can play some basic and some moderate stuff, and my band's drummer can play some pretty difficult stuff. No, it's not easy, I know that. But if you look at my post, and compare it to a stereotypical drummer, it makes sense. A stereotypical drummer tries to play every instrument involved in the band. My drummer does. He bought a guitar, and plays that even though he has no sense of timing on a guitar. He also attempts bass. Take a look at the "Most annoying things band members do" thread in Bandleading. The top two are plays while talking, and tries to show you how to play.

It's a joke. Get over it.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
most drummers never get past the into level and this is mostly due to bad timing.

I know this b/c i used to be a drummer, not b/c i had bad timing, i had to get rid of my drums b/c i went to college, i need to buy another set in the near future.

to make this not spam.

OP; youve gotta learn chords, or else youll be stuck playing "come as you are" for the rest of your playing days.
"TONE ADDICT"
Is the topic starter and the rest of you guys referring to open position chords, where you learn a different finger placement for each chord, or are you referring to barre chords and power chords?
chords are pretty hard to learn but once you know what they are you can remember them off by heart and beable to to strum D E C etc... with no problems
My Gear
-----------------------
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Gould G-15 Practice amp(Loud though)
Behringer FX100
Wetern Acoustic
Spanish Acoustic
Quote by SnoDog
Is the topic starter and the rest of you guys referring to open position chords, where you learn a different finger placement for each chord, or are you referring to barre chords and power chords?
Chords are chords, but power chords are probably a little less vital (well, depending on what bands you like). You need to learn basic open and barre chords to be able to play C-B.

Basic open chords are easy to learn, it's just the transitions that take practice. Barre chords are harder still in both aspects, but practice is key... I couldn't even keep the strings down with one finger when I first started playing, let alone fret the chord with my other fingers.
Learn chords! It will really help in the long run, especially for rhythm guitar. If you don't know chords and try reading tab, you'll be memorizing note combinations, note by note. Which is like reading a book one letter at a time. Learning chords is like learning words. Once you know the words you read a book one word at a time... and then become proficiently fast at reading tab. Learning chords can even assist you in finding arpeggios which are just chords played one string at a time, if you can learn to identify them. And like everyone else is saying, it really helps your fingers.
Gear:
- G&L Tribute Series Legacy Guitar
- Behringer V-tone GM108 15-watt amp