well, my basic setup is an epiphone sg starter pack, which is a popular choice for beginners. i've been playing for around half a year and i can definitely notice that i'm not getting that raw sound i'd like (mainly hard rock riffs of acdc, zepp, etc). i've been considering getting the vox ad30vt because of good reviews and good features, something that'll last me a long time. i'm not considering a marshall or anything else that's recommended for hard rock since the features on this vox amp are definitely worth the price alone.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959&src=3SOSWXXB

however, will my sound really change with this amp? my guitar itself is an epiphone sg, so it's not exactly cream of the crop. however, the amp that came with the package is pretty bad which is no surprise. so will my sound be drastically better with the new amp but same guitar? thanks!
If you use a starter amp then I'd say it will make a big difference in sound because an amp is like 80% of your tone, i don't know much about this amp so i can't really say whether it would benefit you or not.
The change will be so drastic, that you will bleed from your eyes.

Are you set on that amp or are you willing to take any other suggestions? And if so, what is your spending limit?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

a change in amp is probably IMO the biggest changes you can make to alter your tone.
Cream fan club member #11.
sure, i'm open to more suggestions. i just like this one because of it supposedly emulates the sound of a tube powered amps and its features. my limits are around $200 - $250ish and i'd prefer it to be small enough to carry around to gigs (under 30 lbs).
yeah the Vox is good for almost all types of music apart from high gain metal, so it should do you well.

And yeah, an amp change is the most you can do to alter your sound
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
the vox is an awesome amp. the absolute best for the money. i got mine for 240. definately get it. its so much louder than a starter package amp. is yours like 10 or 15watts. if it is the 30 will blow your mind on how much louder it can go
Quote by sirgika
i just like this one because of it supposedly emulates the sound of a tube powered amps and its features.

it actually is a tube amp. atleast thats what the guy who sold me mine said
Quote by Sage
it actually is a tube amp. atleast thats what the guy who sold me mine said

It has a tube in it, but it really doesnt affect the tone of the amp.

But for the price they are awesome amps, especially if you plan on carrying it around all the time.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

its actually not a tube amp. its a SS modeling amp with a tube in the poweramp.
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Quote by SublimeGuitar
It has a tube in it, but it really doesnt affect the tone of the amp.

But for the price they are awesome amps, especially if you plan on carrying it around all the time.

the tube does have an effect on the tone of the valvetronix. they dont suffer from the traditional "turn it up past noon and it sounds horrible" solid state syndrome.