Page 1 of 2
How do all you shred players set your tone? I use a marshall and have bass 3/4, treble just over half and full reverb and gain. I don't know what contour does but I have that just over half too. I get an avenged sevenfold/trivium type metal shred sound but I'd rather get something like Yngwie or Symphony X.
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
agreed. and what kind of amp do you have that has a contour? mine's bass around 3/4, mids around half (speaker is insanely middy, sounds like a wah pedal when it's turned up more than that), and treble around half, i get enough treble from my guitar (all of 'em are solid maple.)

gain's around 3, but my amp is either all or nothing gainwise. master volume's up, though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Lord_Xian
How do all you shred players set your tone? I use a marshall and have bass 3/4, treble just over half and full reverb and gain. I don't know what contour does but I have that just over half too. I get an avenged sevenfold/trivium type metal shred sound but I'd rather get something like Yngwie or Symphony X.

you're doomed man
I don't have the best gear, so what I try to do is to make the tone the least annoying that I can. I do this by cutting the treble down to 3 or so, boosting the mids to 6-7, and putting the bass just over 5. This will give you an Yngwie sound if you play loud. I also have the gain at just over 5 as well. I use a compressor too.
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
^ I believe with those settings what you'll hear will be mush.

there's no such thing called a shred tone, if you find yourself playing better with a certain tonal palette, your technique's probably loose.

it's amazing how little distortion you need to be able to get a smooth overdriven solo tone. Unless you play in a rather typical metal band and want specifically metal-oriented guitar sounds, start off with a clean guitar sound and then dial in the gain (from your stompbox/FX) or if you're going straight thru the amp, dial it in there. The idea, for me personally, is to retain as much of the guitar's natural sound as possible.

From personal experience, I've seen keeping a slightly scooped amp setting coupled with an EQ unit to tweak the mids, works really well. I also dial in a decent amount of presence (and this is very much dependent upon the sort of cabinet/speaker head that you're using) to get rid of the "boxed in" sound that one might get, sorta keeps your guitar sound a lil' more vibrant.

from there on, add chorus, reverb as appropriate. I usually don't add too much compression, and keep the difference between attack and sustain levels fairly small. I also dial in some ambient delay to make my lead sound more pronounced.
Last edited by Axegrinder#9 at Jun 27, 2007,
Quote by Axegrinder#9
^ I believe with those settings what you'll hear will be mush.

The thing is, if I put the treble at 5 (12 o'clock), the amp sounds like scraping a metal can across asphalt. I'm kinding choosing the lesser of two evils. Do you have any advice for me on this problem? By the way, I have a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt.
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
Quote by tubab0y
agreed. and what kind of amp do you have that has a contour? mine's bass around 3/4, mids around half (speaker is insanely middy, sounds like a wah pedal when it's turned up more than that), and treble around half, i get enough treble from my guitar (all of 'em are solid maple.)

gain's around 3, but my amp is either all or nothing gainwise. master volume's up, though.

I have a Marshall Valvestate 30.

You guys all seem pretty appauled at my settings, do you think if I knocked down the gain and reverb I'd have a less messy sounding sweep pick? I know I should make it less messy by practice.
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
Quote by Lord_Xian
I have a Marshall Valvestate 30.

You guys all seem pretty appauled at my settings, do you think if I knocked down the gain and reverb I'd have a less messy sounding sweep pick? I know I should make it less messy by practice.

Take lots of the reverd out of your sound, for fast passages it just makes your playing sound like mush, too much echo etc...

And yes, if your sweeping is messy without 'verb you need to practice more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by flamencogod
I don't use any reverb at all... too 80's for my tastes.

It's the snare sound with lots of reverb that makes the 80's sound.
personally, tone settings I change depending on the environment. Having the same settings for my bedroom (very small room), a practice area, and on a stage (with other musicians, like bass players) is bound to be a bit disastrous. Sure, scooping the mids and cranking bass to 9 and gain to 8 might sound great in your bedroom but when your bass player starts playing you'll be stepping into his zone, so to speak and you'll get mush.

I like to start off with all knobs on 5, and change accordingly. Keep in mind i have a line 6 flextone so if you have a nice tube amp... you might go about this differently.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Stratwizard
So, you're not bothered by the fact that you don't have consistent practice/performing conditions?

Eh... Who has?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
A lot of people have. Or at least should have when you practice. Then again, at least my live playing suffers if I do dramatic changes on the tone in every different "venue".
Well, I don't know about you, but I can't crank my laney in my bedroom... Nor can I use the same EQ settings for performing with other live musicians in a venue or in my bedroom, as they'd sound totally different in both situations.

The point of changing your settings to a live venue is getting it to project well and filling the voids left by the other instruments. Noone said you had to do drastic modifications either... By changing the settings, if this makes sense, you're trying to get your amp to adjust to the surroundings so that it sounds like your bedroom tone but without losing volume, dynamics, all that stuff...

If you've got a scooped mid setting in your bedroom and you use it with a bassplayer you'll barely hear yourself, as the guitar is a mid-frequency instrument. But say you like a scooped mid setting in your bedroom, once you dial in some more mids live it'll still sound like scooped mids because the bass is taking up that place as well, but you'll hear yourself more, etc...

But you know all this... So I'm quite surprised at your post, as I don't agree with it at all. Nor do I see how it's even possible.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
I personally rarely ever change the settings on my amp. Mostly because I never use it at home, though. Computers FTW!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
That is not what I'm talking about. I guess you kinda misunderstood me there or I misunderstood Night Lights. What I'm saying is that when you change your tone a lot when you practice, your practicing also becomes inconsistent because the way you hear yourself affects your playing. This applies to the live situation too.

Of course you have to change the EQ settings a little in the live situation as the acoustics in different venues vary but that's more of the mixer's worry than yours.
Quote by Stratwizard
That is not what I'm talking about. I guess you kinda misunderstood me there or I misunderstood Night Lights. What I'm saying is that when you change your tone a lot when you practice, your practicing also becomes inconsistent because the way you hear yourself affects your playing. This applies to the live situation too.

Of course you have to change the EQ settings a little in the live situation as the acoustics in different venues vary but that's more of the mixer's worry than yours.

Like the mixer gives a **** how good you sound

But yeah, I think you misunderstood the original post, to be honest.

Click.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
yo do NOT **** with the mixer guy! during gigs, that's the first guy who I buy drinks for or smoke up. that's the one guy who can bring summon death upon your playing.

Yeah, but he still doesn't give a ****, usually

Click.
As someone who's only ever had the chance to practice with a sh!tty Line6 Spider II 15-watter, coupled with a cheap 'Nez SA160QMTR, I've been wondering how I would go about (some day) getting that familiar 'rounded' shred tone that guys like 'Trucci, Batio, Gilbert and the like get. Is it their amps, pedals, guitar wood or everything combined? You all know the stuff I'm talking about – that smooth neck pickup tone which sounds so gorgeous with a touch of delay. I try that stuff through my gear (neck single coil, bleurgh..) and it sounds like a scraping, hollow mess. I've accepted the fact that no amount of settings can make any of it sound good. *sigh*

Maybe one day I'll own some sick tube amp (Marshall? Laney? Mesa? etc.?) with a pedal (TubeScreamer? Overdrive? Distortion?), and dominate...
Quote by Stratwizard
So, you're not bothered by the fact that you don't have consistent practice/performing conditions?

whaaat?

Within my practice condition i DO keep it constant unless its practicing clean or distorted. I don't think i've said otherwise. Unless you disagree with my statement that it is ideal to change settings depending on the environment?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Personally, I don't scoop my mids much, if at all. I find that scooping the mids gives my tone a "hollow" sound that doesn't suit any of my desires. Adding mids gives me a fuller, more rounded tone that is much more pleasing to my ears. Also, experiment with your guitar's tone and volume knobs, and perhaps pickup height. Don't limit everything to your amp and effects.
Quote by DaFjory
As someone who's only ever had the chance to practice with a sh!tty Line6 Spider II 15-watter, coupled with a cheap 'Nez SA160QMTR, I've been wondering how I would go about (some day) getting that familiar 'rounded' shred tone that guys like 'Trucci, Batio, Gilbert and the like get. Is it their amps, pedals, guitar wood or everything combined? You all know the stuff I'm talking about – that smooth neck pickup tone which sounds so gorgeous with a touch of delay. I try that stuff through my gear (neck single coil, bleurgh..) and it sounds like a scraping, hollow mess. I've accepted the fact that no amount of settings can make any of it sound good. *sigh*

Maybe one day I'll own some sick tube amp (Marshall? Laney? Mesa? etc.?) with a pedal (TubeScreamer? Overdrive? Distortion?), and dominate...

Sounds pretty much like you're just describing a tube amp. Though... Batio? Really?

Click.
You'll never get an accurate, gig-ready representation of Petrucci's sound without a tube amp.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Ah yes, Trucci's tone is very organic and warm. I'd love to have something like that for a generic neck pickup shred tone. But also, for slow stuff using the bridge, I'd like this tone in particular:

http://rapidshare.com/files/41730082/batio_sciencefiction.mp3.html

Now, to me, that is beyond gorgeous. The way the note sort of gargles and goes "waaaaooooowwwww" when it's sustaining. It's very rich. With my cheap solid state box of crap, if I play that same note, all it does is sustain and nothing else. There's no flavour, no character. Is that what they call compression or clipping of the signal? Would a tube amp or a pedal into a tube amp give me that sound I want? Bear in mind that I could never risk cranking an amp because I value my hearing too much (got tinnitus already, unfortunately). So if this overdrive business is all about cranking amps, then is another way of getting that aforementioned sound?
Well, I guess tastes differ... And ears mature.

Personally I don't like that tone at all. That's just a solidstate buzz to me. I prefer any good tube amp that makes a note go into harmonics when sustaining after a bend for example, mmmmmm.

It sounds to me like you're underestimating the power of good vibrato, though.

Click.
I'm too lazy to listen to the soundclip, but I know that I would take my tube amp over virtually any other any day of the week. The way it feedbacks harmonically, the warmth, how organic it is, there's definitely a reason people prefer tube.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Yes! Argh. Boo to you lot. :P

Well then, what about this lovely Morse tone from 4 Minutes To Live:

http://rapidshare.com/files/41777682/morse_4minutes.mp3.html

Loads of delay and volume swells, obviously, but is that the overdriven 'tube sound' everyone raves about? Or is it only achievable with a pedal. I'm having a hard time understanding what constitutes a "brilliant tube tone" as opposed to a "soul-less solid state tone".
The understanding comes with time and experience of plenty **** amps and a few good ones Nothing much you can do. I'll listen to the soundfile later, but knowing Morse's tone, most of the time I'm not a big fan either, though it'll be a hell of a lot closer than Batio.

Click.
Quote by tubab0y
That's still far from the 'tube tone' everyone wants.

Here, listen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t25AOSxZZkI

That's 6L6 tube tone though, I don't want that. I don't like Mesa style tones very much. British yo.

I love the sound of the glassy, airy, breathing tone you get when you've got a good guitar, good pickups with a humbucker-single coil split option, a good amp and you just roll the volume knob back ever so slightly to get the nice twangy very sensitive to pick attack sound like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SZj5JFoy42w

Or, of course, Guthrie's Hellcat tone: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DL0qRcKo5FM&mode=related&search=

Click.
Page 1 of 2