hmm?
"...And the guy thats on the ground, that needs some help, you dont walk up and kick him. If you do that you better be wearing shoes for a while. 'Cause you know what? Trade places with him.. he'll pick you up." Stevie Ray Vaughan
on a humbucker, i heard the cover makes the sound warmer because the cover. thus, bare pickup sounds treblier. for the tele pickup, i heard it shields it from radio frequency. for strats, i personally think it's the same except the ease of putting it in the guitar.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
if heard a few people claim that it makes it a little mellower, but the difference wouldn't really be noticeable enough to get them or not get them for anything other than cosmetic reasons.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if heard a few people claim that it makes it a little mellower, but the difference wouldn't really be noticeable enough to get them or not get them for anything other than cosmetic reasons.

The real question is, do they look cool enough to spend $10 on? And the answer is "yes" if your guitar is a classic Gibby shape, and "no" if it isn't.
They do slightly affect the sound, but you'd only tell if you A/B'ed the same guitar with and without covers. Clapton shimmied his off to get a bit more output back in the Bluesbreakers day.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Thanks all
"...And the guy thats on the ground, that needs some help, you dont walk up and kick him. If you do that you better be wearing shoes for a while. 'Cause you know what? Trade places with him.. he'll pick you up." Stevie Ray Vaughan
They dont really do ANYTHING, considering the sound comes from the pole pieces which are sticking out of the cover
Quote by -heartbreaker-
They dont really do ANYTHING, considering the sound comes from the pole pieces which are sticking out of the cover

He means covered humbuckers, I assume. Like on most Les Pauls.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by -heartbreaker-

Uh... no?

The sound comes from the copper wires in the pickups, actually. The magnetic field comes from the magnets, which have pole pieces, which do not in fact stick out of the cover; those are screws which hold the covers on. I'm not 100% clear on covers, but I do know that you're pretty much blowing a lot of hot air.
only 6 pole out of 12 on a humbucker is showing...
that's half.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Kurapica
He means covered humbuckers, I assume. Like on most Les Pauls.

Those have pole pieces on the outside of them. (the screws)

Quote by ECistheBest
only 6 pole out of 12 on a humbucker is showing...
that's half.

You're right....I forgot about that.
Try touching each part of the pickup with something metal and tell me where the sound comes from
Also, compare the sound of covered/open coil on the same pickup and tell us of the difference you notice
The diff is basically non-existant
Erm, touching it with metal won't work.

This is how pickups work:

The pickups are magnets (obviously),
The strings are current carrying conducters moving within the magnetic field,
The strings cut lines of magnetic flux,
A current is induced in the pickup,
This current is the signal which makes all those lovely sounds when amplified.

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

You can tell which part is active if it makes sound against metal, that way you know which parts are picking up sounds from the strings

I'm no expert, you can all believe what you want.
I'm telling you, there is almost NO difference
Quote by -heartbreaker-
You can tell which part is active if it makes sound against metal, that way you know which parts are picking up sounds from the strings

I'm no expert, you can all believe what you want.
I'm telling you, there is almost NO difference

there is dude. bare pickups sound a little clearer than covered ones.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It softens it a little but to be honest it's not something that you would be able to distinguish that much. It's like turning up the bass a bit on the amp.

To be honest in my opinion it's completely aesthetic. Do whatever looks best because the slight difference in tone can easily be compensated with your amp if it even needs any adjusting at all!
The only way they'd make a difference is if they were ferromagnetic.

Uhhh lol?

It's simple electromagnetic induction that makes a pickup work. The magnetic field from the pickup magnets gets deformed by the ferromagnetic strings moving through the field. That deformation is a flux (change) which causes a current in the coils.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Okay, some people need to brush up on their physics.

Pickups work of electromagnetic induction – in lamens terms, when iron is waved around in a magnetic field it produces a current in the coil. Pickup covers are aluminium or something like that. No iron = no interaction with the magnetic field = no change in sound.

Any perceived difference in sound is 100% placebo. End.
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
Last edited by Insolent at Jun 27, 2007,
I contacted Tim over at Bareknuckles when I ordered my Miracle Man set, and asked him the exact same question about going with covers or not. He said that covers would "round the treble and bass response slightly, warming the tone". You physics experts should set him straight.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by aleister
The real question is, do they look cool enough to spend $10 on? And the answer is "yes" if your guitar is a classic Gibby shape, and "no" if it isn't.

An HH telecaster also looks awesome with nickel covers, especially if it's all black.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Bare Knuckle know their stuff. Though the sound difference exists, it shouldn't be noticeable. Unless you're a tone-nazi