We all know some of you out there don't like the old MGs, and thats been made pretty clear. For those of you who are proud owners of one but are a bit frustrated i'm letting you know my set up. I'll use the wonders of an analogue clock to describe where the settings should be cos i'm not near the amp to see it at the mo:

First and very importantly you need a decent distortion/overdrive effects pedal.
As you may see in my sig I own a Marshall Guv'nor (dist) and Jackhammer (o/d), which are damn good and can be picked up for as little as £30/£35.

Amp settings first, you'll have to use the clean channel on the amp with the effects pedal, put all the Clean settings up to max (gain, bass, mid, and treble). A slight bit of reverb 1-3 can help but this is optional. Make sure the digital tube emulator is switched on cos this improves the sound immensly. Keep the volume on the amp fairly low (at about 9 o'clock).

Guv'nor settings (distortion pedal): Gain - 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock-ish (adjust this to your preference), Deep - 12 o'clock, Mid - 12 o'clock, Bass 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock (i usually use it at about 3 o'clock for a heavier sound), Treble 3 o'clock, Volume - depends how near your neighbours are, I have mine on about 10 o'clock for practise.

or

Jackhammer settings (overdrive pedal): Gain - 12 o'clock-ish (once again to your preference, but much higher and you'll get a lot of background noise), Treble and Bass - 3 o'clock, Countour 9 to 10 o'clock, Frequency 1 to 2 o'clock.

I love the sound I get from my amp with these settings, i may adjust a couple of settings on the pedal (or gain on the amp) slightly depending on what I'm playing, particularily the gain on the pedal. Give these a try if you have an MG amp. Of course I'm not sure how this is effected by a different pickup (i use DiMarzio super distortion), a different guitar, different pedals, or a different type of MG. Give it a go anyways. (I'm expecting a string of replies from those who don't like MG's by the way)
When i'm in a shop next, i'll try it out with an open mind
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i can't fit anything else
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
A good amp does not require pedals and a ton faffing to get a usable tone.

It already has one.

I used to use pedals to try and coax something other than garbage of out of my old MG, it was ok for a while but after a while that gets just as repulsive to your ears as it always was.

The real answer is to upgrade and never look back.
Ibanez RG2570
Engl Screamer 50 Combo
Keeley Flexi TS-9
EH Metal Muff
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster