Hi I'm just a begining guitarist and I'm ready to perform some solos, but I'm not real sure on how I should go about it. I know alot of artists use pedals for their solos. Does this make it easier? Also any simple techniques to get me started would be great. Thanks, I'm sorry if this thread has been done a million times but I need to know how to do a proper solo if I'm going to progress.
You might want a distortion pedal to make the guitar come out a little more, but you dont NEED any pedals.

EDIT: Maybe a delay too.
Pedals make everything better if you know how to use them. If you suck with them though, just stay away. You don't really need pedals for a good solo, really depends on what you aim for. And if you're just beggining, work on your scales and stuff before even thinking about pedals.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
all it does is change the sound
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
yeah distortion would be a plus since notes come out more and make them more audible, if you want to make some stuff stand out you could use a wah pedal ie eric clapton, jimi hendrix
Effect pedals just change the sound and add effects, hence the name. You don't need them at all. But for different sounds you could use pedals.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Epiphone Studio 10 amp
Line 6 PodXT - Should've got the PodXT live
Click for charity.
cant go wrong with distortion
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
You don't need any pedals to perform solos unless you're doing RATM-kinda stuff. All you need is skills.
If you are just beginning I advise against any type of pedals (except maby an OD if you have a tube amp, but its not necessary) because it is best to learn and play solos well before you start using pedals. Once you get good at un effected solos then you might realise that you dont need pedals. I will give you a couple examples.

Look up David Gilmour for a very tasteful use of pedals. notice how they enhance and compliment his playing.

Look up Les Paul (the guitarist not the guitar) and you will find a guitarist who is amazingly good and he doesnt even need pedals.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Quote by Hoppusorange
You don't need any pedals to perform solos unless you're doing RATM-kinda stuff. All you need is skills.

+1

Learn without pedals. Don't rely on effects to cover up your sloppy playing.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Maggot66
Maybe an overdrive or wah?

I wouldnt reccomend a wah to someone whos just starting, because it can be tough to solo and do interesting things with the wah to. (i mean more than just trill wahing and bass/treble boost)

He might be worried more with how the wah sounds than the actual solo.
Quote by funkbass369
all it does is change the sound

pretty much. you can add more sustain as well but mostly just changes the sound. it wont make you any better. i just like to use a bit of overdrive and some reverb on my amp. nothing to fancy but i play mostly blues. you can make good solos clean with no pedals but if you want a certain sound then you need a pedal. like if you like metal i dont think you would play clean.
There's alot of solos I like by various artists. I guess I will start learning without using any pedals then. But eventually what I 'd really like to learn is the solo sound that say Kirk Hammet uses on the song the Four Horseman. I love that solo. Is he using distortion through that entire song or does he use wah too?
There's only distortion in the four horsemen solos. He used his modified Marshall with a tubescreamer for that album.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
i only use my tubescreamer, and my wah for my songs i play.

tubescreamer is always on, so it's like... haha part of the amp.

wah, u know what to do with lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
pretty much. you can add more sustain as well but mostly just changes the sound. it wont make you any better. i just like to use a bit of overdrive and some reverb on my amp. nothing to fancy but i play mostly blues. you can make good solos clean with no pedals but if you want a certain sound then you need a pedal. like if you like metal i dont think you would play clean.

YAY I WAS QUOTED...unfortunately i wasn't sigged...=/
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Never try and buy your way to good skill. It all comes with practice and patience. You cant buy a pedal and then play like your favorite guitar god immediately.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
NOt necessarily.

Just look at Angus Young.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by bluesrocker101
Never try and buy your way to good skill. It all comes with practice and patience. You cant buy a pedal and then play like your favorite guitar god immediately.

Although since a lot of Guitar Gods do use pedals it helps I'm thinking more Satch, Vai here, virtuoso (sp?) guitarists. But tbh unless your going to try and learn a specific solo that uses an effect dramatically throughout (Think Enter Sandman, the wah is shameful yet oh so sweet...) then you should be able to do fine without it. Except a distortion pedal if your amp doesn't do distortion that's pretty much a nessasesity for rock/metal solos.

EDIT: Btw blues i'm not disagreeing with you at all, im just saying if you want a particular sound that someone does pedals are often a must.... They obviously dont improve your playing in the slightest, unfortunatly Except this one really cool pedal:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNLfa1VPwo

I think this is the right video, my nets messing up and won't let me watch it but thats the name of it... Check it out, you'd be amazed at the difference! (If its the right one )
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Last edited by Peanut1614 at Jun 27, 2007,
You should definitely get your chops up first, but three pedals I've seen in most guitarists setups are the Ibanez Tubescreamer, Digitech Whammy, and of course, the Dunlop Crybaby Wah.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by Peanut1614
Although since a lot of Guitar Gods do use pedals it helps I'm thinking more Satch, Vai here, virtuoso (sp?) guitarists. But tbh unless your going to try and learn a specific solo that uses an effect dramatically throughout (Think Enter Sandman, the wah is shameful yet oh so sweet...) then you should be able to do fine without it. Except a distortion pedal if your amp doesn't do distortion that's pretty much a nessasesity for rock/metal solos.

EDIT: Btw blues i'm not disagreeing with you at all, im just saying if you want a particular sound that someone does pedals are often a must.... They obviously dont improve your playing in the slightest, unfortunatly Except this one really cool pedal:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNLfa1VPwo

I think this is the right video, my nets messing up and won't let me watch it but thats the name of it... Check it out, you'd be amazed at the difference! (If its the right one )

i hope you realise that video isnt real.

Yeah, well what I was really talking about was really speed and technique. You cant buy a pedal to gain speed and cool technique. It will just add flavor and new sounds to you playing.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??