Hey,
I'm thinking of getting into pickup winding my own pickups, and I wanted to know a couple of things before I bought anything.

-Is it better to wind it actually by hand, or should I rig up a winding machine?
-When it comes to potting it, what is a good wax to buy?
-Theoretically, could I wind a pickup as good or better than duncans (if I hand wound them, and did everything right)?
-How much would it cost each (for materials), to wind a strat single coil?

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I hear hand wiring (untidy) sounds better then machine wound (tidy)

that's really all I know
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
well youd have to be carefull when winding them because i remember i looked at the wires from my squires stock pick ups and even if i tugged at the wire a bit it broke so yeah just a warning
i wouldn't really wind it up by hand... that sounds like so much work -__-"

i want to know the potting thing too. so i'll give a big bump!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I read somewhere that 'hand wound' pick-ups simply mean that the winding was begun by hand then finished with a winding machine, while a machine-wound pick-up was started and finished with a machine.

Then the writer went on to explain that low wound pick-ups, a mere 6,000 winds, would take hours and hours to do by hand, let alone overwound pick-ups (12,000+).
i prefer overwound pickups more, since they produce more bite.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well, handwinding seems to be the magic of bareknuckles and other boutique handwound pickups. I think it's called scatter winding techinically.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Hey,
I'm thinking of getting into pickup winding my own pickups, and I wanted to know a couple of things before I bought anything.

-Is it better to wind it actually by hand, or should I rig up a winding machine?
-When it comes to potting it, what is a good wax to buy?
-Theoretically, could I wind a pickup as good or better than duncans (if I hand wound them, and did everything right)?
-How much would it cost each (for materials), to wind a strat single coil?

Thanks!

You will need to have a winding machine of some sort thousands of turns by hand isn't going to be fun.

For wax potting the pickups the standards is to use a 80/20 mix of parrafin and beeswax.

With a bit of practise you could wind pickups better than duncans.

Cost depends on the type of pickup, what quantity you buy in and where you get it. Check out the stewmac kits for a rough guide.
i've heard that you can attach the pickup tom a drill bit and then hole the wire as it spins around.
will this work?
yoyoyuyo

Guitars.........................Amp.................Pedals (getting new)
Ibanez S470................Laney VC15.....Boss DS-1 (it's bad)
PRS SE Soapbar II
Ibanez aw15 acoustic
Handwound pickups have the wire fed onto the winder by hand, so the coils are not regular.

From the Bareknuckle website:

Scatterwinding by hand can be time consuming but it has many advantages over conventional machine winding, not least a far superior sound. When a coil is scatterwound, the wire isn't as close or even, layer on layer, as with a machine and this lowers the distributed capacitance that exists between the turns of the wire. Lower capacitance allows more top end through, the resonant peak increases slightly and the pickup has a flatter frequency response across its range. The result is a clearer, more open sound that has the impression of being louder purely by the amount of extra detail and dynamics present.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by darkarbiter7
Well, handwinding seems to be the magic of bareknuckles and other boutique handwound pickups. I think it's called scatter winding techinically.

The term scatter winding has different meanings to different people. Some say it's the same thing as hand winding and others say it's a machine set up to have a scatter pattern. I like to think of hand wound and scatter wound as being different.

To the threadstarter. You will need something to spin the pickup bobbin. I'd suggest a drill press or a laithe but I've seen a lot of other things used. Lots of people use a hand drill clamped to a table but I would only do that if I had to.

You want to guide the wire by hand. To start off you will probably want to make a wire tensoner out of some felt and a C clamp. Once you to a few pickups you will probably start pinching the wire in your fingers and won't need the clamp, but you are going to spend a day or 2 on your 1st pickup and you are going to break the wire and start over more times than you can count. A tensioner will help you break less wire.

Yes, you can make pickups that sound better than duncan. Duncan and DiMarzio pickups really arn't that great. They are not bad, but they are nothing special. Companies like swineshead and bare knuckles are great. Those are who you will be compairing yourself to.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by sgtpeppers
i've heard that you can attach the pickup tom a drill bit and then hole the wire as it spins around.
will this work?

yes, actually you can. there's a youtube video of it. look it up.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Done it. I had to rewind my Granada's single coil blade pickup by hand. It took the entire day of sitting out on the porch. 7500 turns. Every hundred, mark off a tally. Also, every thousand, check for continuity. It's a great way to kill a Saturday.
^ I've done it too. A tele neck pickup. It took me more than a week because my hands would hurt after winding for a few hours; so I had to keep resting for at least half a day.
Okay so being in the UK (as I know Corduroy is and he makes pickups) where woudl I go about getting say a pre made-unwound pickup? Or somethign simerlar.
Depends on what type of pickup you want to make. allparts has most of what you will need but they don't have everything you need for humbuckers. The parts that Allparts don't sell you can make yourself without too much effort. If you are making single coil pickups then allparts has everything you need.
Not taking any online orders.