Hey guys,
I'm looking for a decent practise Cabinet for my Hiwatt Custom 50.
Doesn't need to be that powerful (30-50W is really sufficient), but preferrably it would be one that carries the HiWatt tone as clean as possible, without adding its own characteristics.

Seeing as I spent enought money on the Hiwatt, I'm a bit short on money right now, so it mustn't be that expensive as well. I probably can't get both the really clean tone and a low price in one, so I don't mind it having some drawbacks
I imagine you'd be very happy with a 1x12 fitted with a Celestion V30. You could get a name brand cab from Mesa or Orange, or maybe get something on the cheap from Avatar.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks for the replies.
TheDev01dOne: I wouldn't know where to start building my own amp. I can see me trying that in the (far) distant future, but I'd probably blow my amp right now trying

slatsmania: I was indeed thinking about getting the Orange 1x12 cabinet, which is fitted with a Celestion speaker. However, I've read they're sorta 'heavy'; I mainly play blues and Pink Floyd, so I would be needing something lighter, or is my information incorrect?
I was also looking at the VOX V212BN the other day, seems OK, opinions?
wouldn't you need at least 50watts so that the cab could handle the head?

I think they're expensive but fane speakers were in original hiwatt cabs i think. Although, i also wouldn't really know what places do them, so kinda unhelpful actualy
Good point on the 50W.

Combining the info you guys gave me, it looks like the Fame 2x12 might be a good buy. Celestion V30 speakers, 120W (I'm guessing 2x60W?).
Quote by Ansur
I was indeed thinking about getting the Orange 1x12 cabinet, which is fitted with a Celestion speaker. However, I've read they're sorta 'heavy'; I mainly play blues and Pink Floyd, so I would be needing something lighter, or is my information incorrect?
I was also looking at the VOX V212BN the other day, seems OK, opinions?

"Heavy" and "lighter" as in sounding? Orange amps are great for those bands, I'd imagine their cab with your amp would work fine. They will give you a firm bottom end. The Vox looks like a noice choice, too, but for a practice cab, I figured a 1x12 would be the most practical.

Isn't Fame a budget brand? Just keep in mind you get what you pay for.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you really want to reproduce the hiwatt, and have absolutely no coloring of tone, and the least amount of distortion, you'd have to go with PA speakers. Guitar speakers do everything you were trying to avoid. Maybe it would be best to get an unloaded ear candy cab and fit them with some good 12 inch PA's.

I think the Legends are guitar and PA suited, and maybe earcandy carries them.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^I think guitar amps need some colouring from the speakers; it would probably sound pretty boring without.
^Definitely.

But that's not what the TS was asking for. I mean, I'm all for nice, tone coloring speakers, but the TS asked for non coloring speakers I guess.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
^Definitely.

But that's not what the TS was asking for. I mean, I'm all for nice, tone coloring speakers, but the TS asked for non coloring speakers I guess.

Sure, but some guitar speakers with a very flat frequency response is probably much better.
Quote by slatsmania
"Heavy" and "lighter" as in sounding?
Yes, indeed. Sorry for that.
Quote by slatsmania
Isn't Fame a budget brand? Just keep in mind you get what you pay for.
Indeed, they aren't that well known. But I'm guessing that the actual sound isn't that much influenced from their cab construction, and that a celestion placed in their cab or in an Orange one won't make that much of a difference? Or am I completely wrong here?

Quote by Reincaster
I think the Legends are guitar and PA suited, and maybe earcandy carries them.
Interesting suggestion, though while I need to check it out more thoroughly, I'm afraid they are a good deal above my budget.
Quote by mr_hankey
Sure, but some guitar speakers with a very flat frequency response is probably much better.

Which is why I suggested the legends? The company recommends them in bass (for the 15 incher), keyboard, pa and guitar amps.

Vade sells cabs with legends.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster

Sort of. I probably didn't express myself very well. I don't mind having some colouring, bit I'm trying to prevent buying a cab that e.g. always puts focus on the bass signal or adds a crunchy touch.
Quote by Ansur
But I'm guessing that the actual sound isn't that much influenced from their cab construction, and that a celestion placed in their cab or in an Orange one won't make that much of a difference? Or am I completely wrong here?

Materials and construction make a huge difference. Lots of cabs feature V30's, but they all have different qualities.

Quote by Ansur
I don't mind having some colouring, bit I'm trying to prevent buying a cab that e.g. always puts focus on the bass signal or adds a crunchy touch.

A cab/speaker won't add crunch (unless you count potential speaker distortion), but the design of the cab could have a huge impact on bass response and such. Metal guys generally like closed back V30 cabs for a tighter sound and more bottom end. A classic rock player will probably prefer something open backed with a speaker closely rated to the amp.

A V30 in a ported/open back cab would probably be a nice middle ground, and one that would put forth the best qualities of the amp without influencing it much in either direction.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks for the info, really learning much here!
I'm still tempted to buy that Fame amp, even though its less known; it has all the requirements you say I should take into consideration. Of course, I'll test it thoroughly in the shop before buying Other candidates are the Orange 1x12 and the aforementioned Vox (though the latter two don't have Celestion V30's).