hey, im going to be purchasing a laptop from a UK based website.

i have no idea what a good laptop is, i don't know **** when it comes to computers

what's the best laptop in the 550 pounds tops?
i dont know the deal with the UK or pounds, but i have a Dell Inspiron E1505 (using it right now) and i think its an exellent laptop. its not that expensive in USD so i really dont know
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
well what do you want it to do? work? media?
what do you want? Mac? (although you wont get one around 550 lol) PC?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by rage6945
i dont know the deal with the UK or pounds, but i have a Dell Inspiron E1505 (using it right now) and i think its an exellent laptop. its not that expensive in USD so i really dont know

thats for the info, i'll look it up.

EDIT: it doesnt show on the website. maybe its the 1501?

Quote by Yngwi3
well what do you want it to do? work? media?
what do you want? Mac? (although you wont get one around 550 lol) PC?

just like media, such as music and movies, but also good for video games. im not a hardcore gamer, but it would be nice to kick back once in a while if you know what i mean
Last edited by jpetrucci5655 at Jun 27, 2007,
Mac book, try to get one used as they are quite expensive.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
Mac book, try to get one used as they are quite expensive.

well the thing is i don't know anything about macs, plus most softwares don't work with them, so i'd much rather go with a PC
im not a hardcore computer user.

EDIT: also, is 1.6 GHz any good? what should i be looking for?
this one is pretty good, especially for the price
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/128355

2gb RAM...
160gb HD
not a bad sized screen
built-in wireless

only problem is intergrated graphics, so if you wanted to install games onto it or do some media editing (which I don't personally recommend for a laptop anyway) it wouldn't do the job that well
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by jpetrucci5655
well the thing is i don't know anything about macs, plus most softwares don't work with them

I think Mac can now use any Windows XP (but not Vista) software. So pretty much every game except for Halo 2 and Shadowrun.

As for creating music, Mac is a lot better. And it's also much simpler and secure, better for someone who doesn't use a computer a lot.

That being said, Macs are very expensive, I don't know if you can get one for 550 pounds
Quote by jpetrucci5655
well the thing is i don't know anything about macs, plus most softwares don't work with them, so i'd much rather go with a PC
im not a hardcore computer user.

EDIT: also, is 1.6 GHz any good? what should i be looking for?

1.6GHz is not very good no, try and get 2.0 at least, you'll feel the performance.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Yngwi3
this one is pretty good, especially for the price
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/128355

2gb RAM...
160gb HD
not a bad sized screen
built-in wireless

only problem is intergrated graphics, so if you wanted to install games onto it or do some media editing (which I don't personally recommend for a laptop anyway) it wouldn't do the job that well

i forgot to mention i'll be buying an external hard drive or around 300 to 500 gigs. so i'd rather have a good graphic card than a big HD.
i'll definently keep that one in mind, thanks.

what about this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amazing-Spec-Packard-Bell-Laptop-P4-3GHz-DVDRW-1GB_W0QQitemZ200121808939QQihZ010QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
3 GHz sound nice, especially since i heard it's what makes a computer go fast.
Go with a HP laptop. You can get really good spec ones from £450 upwards. We had one in staples, a G5056ea, with 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 1.73 pentium dual core, MS works, vista premium, the lot, for £449.99. The only problem was the graphics was 128mb shared, but it really wasn't noticable.

You can get a mac if you want, but you'll need to save up a lot more, and the cheapest macbook you can get is probably only half the spec of the G5056, and can be almost double the price.

Edit: If you can stretch your budget a little

HP dv6299ea

God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Last edited by MattIgoe0108 at Jun 27, 2007,
go to tescos. you can get 1gb ram, 80gig hd, with vista, for about £350
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by MattIgoe0108
Go with a HP laptop. You can get really good spec ones from £450 upwards. We had one in staples, a G5056ea, with 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 1.73 pentium dual core, MS works, vista premium, the lot, for £449.99. The only problem was the graphics was 128mb shared, but it really wasn't noticable.

You can get a mac if you want, but you'll need to save up a lot more, and the cheapest macbook you can get is probably only half the spec of the G5056, and can be almost double the price.

yeah, my mom works at HP, and she obviously says they are the greatest.

but it's hard when i see this for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amazing-Spec-Packard-Bell-Laptop-P4-3GHz-DVDRW-2GB_W0QQitemZ200121808940QQihZ010QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

does refurbished mean it's broken?
Quote by MattIgoe0108

Edit: If you can stretch your budget a little

HP dv6299ea

isn't 1.66 GHz a bit low for that price? or am i getting something completly wrong and don't really understand that the GHz mean?
1.66 isnt the fastest available, but its by no means slow, especially as a dual-core. Its only very recently they've moved up into 1.7 and 1.8 dual cores in laptops in my experience, with macs being the fastest having 2.0Ghz processors normally.

The Packard bell listed isn't a dual core processor you see, therefore, comparitively, you can get about 3.12 Ghz out of that HP when utilizing both cores.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
oh okay. so i'm looking for dual core around 1.7 then?

the HP one looks nice then, it has a small HD which i am buying a 500 gig external HD for anyway, and i guess a good graphics card
Oh god........save up your money and get the MAC. I just got a macbook pro and it's the best thing i've ever done. Unless you plan on gaming all the time, the mac is much easier to use imo, just takes getting used to compared to windows. It's super user friendly and the software that comes with it is magnificent.
www.ebaumsworld.com

check out garrison acoustic guitars
Quote by pete1529
Oh god........save up your money and get the MAC. I just got a macbook pro and it's the best thing i've ever done. Unless you plan on gaming all the time, the mac is much easier to use imo, just takes getting used to compared to windows. It's super user friendly and the software that comes with it is magnificent.

i can't just save, my parents are paying for it. i'm selling my desktop and they are adding the difference of the price into the laptop.
why can't you just save? Hold of buying it for a bit.......duh.....man, you're a loser
www.ebaumsworld.com

Quote by jpetrucci5655
well the thing is i don't know anything about macs, plus most softwares don't work with them

I beg to differ, there is the same amount of software for PC as for Mac.

Accer and HP have some pretty decents laptops, though.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Quote by rage6945

I'm sitting on an Dell Inspiron 6400 ^^
Quote by Xodah
I beg to differ, there is the same amount of software for PC as for Mac.

Accer and HP have some pretty decents laptops, though.

Bs. Lots of software and games are not compitable with mac.
Quote by jpetrucci5655
hey, im going to be purchasing a laptop from a UK based website.

i have no idea what a good laptop is, i don't know **** when it comes to computers

what's the best laptop in the 550 pounds tops?

i dont think they make laptops that are that heavy

i would stick with a pc, though.
Quote by pete1529
why can't you just save? Hold of buying it for a bit.......duh.....man, you're a loser

because my parents dont want to spend that much and i dont want to change everything because it'll be a tiny bit better, if that.
as i've said, i'm not a hardcore computer user.
maybe you completely misunderstood me. I SAID THAT "YOU" COULD SAVE THE DIFFERENCE........NOT MOM AND DAD. I'm not a hardcore user either, but I want something that will run efficiently and without bugs and that's super user friendly........I use mine for school and music, that's it. A mac is the way to go, it's saving a little and getting something you'll like for a while, instead of splurging now and getting something ****ty.

I'm with you %100 campbell.........I've always been hardcore PC, until i tried the MAC. I won't be buying a PC again.
www.ebaumsworld.com

Last edited by pete1529 at Jun 27, 2007,
Quote by jpetrucci5655
because my parents dont want to spend that much and i dont want to change everything because it'll be a tiny bit better, if that.
as i've said, i'm not a hardcore computer user.

Go to any store near-by and get a light laptop with at least 1 gig of ram and a dual core processor. Don't worry too much about the ghz if your gonna by a dual core. If you want really good computer then get a custom one off the internet. ibuypower.com or a similar site.
Quote by jpetrucci5655

I would say that's a good computer for the price, but try to find one without Vista and with a video card so it doesn't bum off of the 1gb memmory.