Page 1 of 3
Okay, so I was just wondering if there were any various trends in quality/sound on old Fender Bassmen.

There's a guy on my local craigslist selling one used for....$100. I've emailed him asking more information about it, but so far, all I know is that it looks like this:

So, I'll hopefully be finding more about it soon, but I was just wondering if there were any years that were especially good or especially bad (like how a lot of 70s strats aren't that good because of the CBS buyout or something).

I mean, $100 sounds like too good a deal to pass up, but I don't really know anything about them, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well for a $100 i would buy that on the spot. But I believe CBS Bassmans were designed for limited or little break-up, so its an awesome clean up. But im not totally sure about that.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Oh jeeeez, I just got an email back from the person who is selling them...

She has absolutely no idea what she has... Her ex-boyfriend moved out and didn't take these with her (the listing includes a Carvin guitar for $200 and a GT-6 that I don't particularly want).
Jump on the deal then! That looks like a blackface early 60's bassman to me, they're great if that's what that is!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^I'm going to go check the stuff out. I might pick up the Carvin too. Again, $200, just seems like too good a deal to pass up. It's black with a 24 fret maple neck, that looks set. HSS setup, with I think a master volume, independent tones for each pup, and there's four switches, which, my best guess would be a coil split/tap for the humbucker (I forget which is which) and in/out of phase for each pickup.
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/bassman_bf.html

Lucky...

These amps are the ones that produce the much sought after "Fender Sparkle." Unlike the CBS 70's Bassmans, they don't have the ****ty anti-overdrive circuit that tries to clean up the signal at high volumes. Those Bassmans are still great, but most people are more into the overdriven tone of old amps. Go for it!
Last edited by NotAJock2Day at Jun 27, 2007,
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^I'm going to go check the stuff out. I might pick up the Carvin too. Again, $200, just seems like too good a deal to pass up. It's black with a 24 fret maple neck, that looks set. HSS setup, with I think a master volume, independent tones for each pup, and there's four switches, which, my best guess would be a coil split/tap for the humbucker (I forget which is which) and in/out of phase for each pickup.

GARGL!

If you ain't buying it, link it to me please.. >.>
^If I don't buy it, I would, although I'm not so sure she'd be willing to ship to Denmark.

It seems kind of weird that this is a combo, as most of the ones I've seen online have been heads. Or are the heads just more common or something? And if it really is what it appears to be, then jesus, I'm going to have a lot of trouble restraining myself when I get there.
where are you located? if she wont send to Denmark you could link me if you dont get it
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
where are you located? if she wont send to Denmark you could link me if you dont get it

Haha, I'm in northern Virginia, right next to Washington DC. I'm waiting for her to email me back about when/where I can go look at everything. I'm also wondering if my girlfriend would understand me looking at this gear for a bit tonight instead of hanging out with her (although I could just see her afterwards... whatever, I'll worry about that when it comes up).
I know, Denmark is far off, but I'm going on vacation to L.A. then Portland in a week, so I might be able to look at it. Where does she live?
Argh, opposite side of the country. Maybe she'd ship it... Again, if you don't want the Carvin, please link, otherwise, enjoy your bargain :-)
Oh, and off topic, but how is your DA5? What do you play on it, and have you compared it to a Microcube? I'm looking for a battery amp.. :-)
Buy it without hesitation. Even if it doesn't turn on, you'll make a big profit selling it on eBay.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Dammit! Somebody's coming to her house at 6:15 to look at the stuff, and I'd be going at 6:45... I don't know if I'll be so lucky... / / /

EDIT: And Harwood, I have the DA15, which is the 15 watt version, it's not battery powered. I didn't give the DA5 or the microcube very much of a test because I was looking at something a bit bigger, so I'm not really sure which is better.
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at Jun 27, 2007,
Show up early. With cash.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yep, listen to Slats, show up early, say you had an appointment and had to come early and show her cash.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by slatsmania
Show up early. With cash.

How early? How much cash? I'm glad I've been working at a restaurant, I love getting tips at the end of the night. Although it is kind of sketchy how much cash I have in my room.

Anyways, I wonder what the other guy's going to be like/he'll be pissed if some 18 year old punk (I'm not really a punk kid) comes and steals his good deal... If I can.
Hmm.. You want that amp! So call ahead and say that you're willing to bid higher, if necessary? If you can do that without sounding desperate, you might want to. Because if the guy before you knows anything about amps, which he probably does, he'd probably buy it on the spot..?

EDIT: Oops, misread the DA15, then. Thanks anyways.
I'd show by 5:45 the latest, with at least $100 ready to deal.

As for the other guy, it sucks to be him. Not like selling your friend an MG or anything, just some stranger you beat out.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Buy it without hesitation. It's a blackface Bassman you're getting for much less than what you could on eBay or anything else. Even if it doesn't turn on, you'd save a lot of money and/or make a huge profit on eBay if you ever want to sell it.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by slatsmania
I'd show by 5:45 the latest, with at least $100 ready to deal.

As for the other guy, it sucks to be him. Not like selling your friend an MG or anything, just some stranger you beat out.

Did you actually mean 5:45? Because my "appointment" to meet with her is at 6:45.

Okay, so I emailed her asking her if I could come any earlier. If not, then I'll shoot to be there around 6:30 and say that it was a lot easier to get there than I thought, or something. Hopefully, she'll say I can come earlier.

Pray for me. Please. haha
damn dude, you should have just went at 545 and said that you thought it was then, not 645
^She said she doesn't get home from work until around 6:00.

Basically, I don't know what to do. Show up early at like 5:45 and like, sit outside her apartment if she's not home and possibly run into the other guy- I mean what happens if we're both there and she's not?...or come at like 6:30, still possibly run into the other guy, and possibly/probably miss out on it.

Either way I'll probably be getting a nice Carvin out of it at least. How much do these Bassmen usually run for anyway?
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at Jun 27, 2007,
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^She said she doesn't get home from work until around 6:00.

Wait outside.
When I asked if I could get there at 6:00...

"Sure, you can come but I have to give first choice to my 6:15 appt as he contacted me first."

So even if I got there before him, she would give it to him first if he wanted it.
^Offer more money, or you're not getting it. You can be almost entirely sure that the other guy will buy it.
^Well, I know the other guy's most likely going to buy it. So what should I do? Email her and offer $150 or $200?
Just go early and say like "goddamn, my watch is playing up...well...while I'm here..."
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^She just said that even if I show up before him, she'll sell it to him because he contacted her first.

I'm slowly starting to give up hope on the whole thing. I should have known I'd never be that lucky.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^She just said that even if I show up before him, she'll sell it to him because he contacted her first.

I'm slowly starting to give up hope on the whole thing. I should have known I'd never be that lucky.

OK, I didn't want to resort to this...but do you know anywhere you can acquire rohypnol?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Kill him. It's the only sensible option.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Terribly sorry for the loss mate. Rarely do you ever get the chance to take advantage of a completely blind idiot throwing away a treasure....

But hey, at least you already have a pretty decent amp!
^But still.... A rather aggravating situation, don't you think? haha

I will probably be picking up the Carvin though, as the other dude wasn't interested in that, I don't think. I believe it's a DC135- neck through, 24 frets, HSS, it looks pretty nice.
go at 6:00 with 200 bucks. tell her you are prepared to offer her 150 for it right now paid in cash. if she refuses, offer 200. if she still refuses, just hope the guy coming at 6:15 is a complete idiot
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Tell her that you really need a new amp, and this one looks perfect for you. Then offfer more, like Inanez said. Just try and add emotion to your sales pitch.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
go at 6:00 with 200 bucks. tell her you are prepared to offer her 150 for it right now paid in cash. if she refuses, offer 200. if she still refuses, just hope the guy coming at 6:15 is a complete idiot

+64887

Maybe try crying a little if that doesn't work.
Page 1 of 3