My head, Some model Randall, is currently being played through a Crate combo amp. However, when I tried using my friend's Marshall cab to substitute, it didn't work. What gives? Could it be that I need a cab with it's own power? Was the resistance off? What?
Probably something to do with the Ohms settings.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
resistance would stop the amp from working entirely? Huh. Well, I'd better figure out how to change it then, if I can.
ohms may not match up- i dont see why that would stop it working entirely but....
What Marshall cab is it? once you find out the amount of ohms the cab has, then you should be able to adjust it accordingly on the back of your Randall with a switch that is usually changeable between 4, 8 and 16 ohms.

If you can't get the ohms to match up, then don't try it, because you can severely damage both pieces of equipment.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
im assuming you played it through an MG cab
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Ohms not matching may make it not work at all if the Speakers are a lower amount of Ohms than the head.

If they're higher, you would blow the speakers instantaneously.

Either way it results in not hearing anything.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
^ Theres the answer lol
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
SO I guess my head had higher ohms than the cab, because we plugged in another head after and used that one (leading me to believe that the speakers weren't blown). It was sort of embarrassing though, it was before a little show at my friend's graduation party.
I'm not sure I have a switch, at least none that I've ever seen. Should it say somewhere on the back of the head the Resistance?
Quote by TehNez
Ohms not matching may make it not work at all if the Speakers are a lower amount of Ohms than the head.

If they're higher, you would blow the speakers instantaneously.

Either way it results in not hearing anything.

what?

maybe it's late and I'm just not understanding you, but that makes no sense at all to me. First, it depends if he's got a SS or tube amp with impedance matching output transformer. If it's SS, it shouldn't hurt it at all, even with mismatch ohms, it just may not put out the rated power. SS heads usually have a max or min impedance rating.

With tube heads, if you use a lower impedance speaker than the head is expecting, it can cook the output transformer from too much current. There will be less power mismatching in either direction however. If you use a higher impedance speaker than the amp is expecting, it pushes less current, and can change the sound due the output tranny running cooler.

Blowing the speakers is usually too much wattage or massive clipping, not mismatched ohms. It's the OT's that usually die from mismatched ohms.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yeah if it's a solid state, the mis-matched ohms (while certainly not good for either piece of equipment) shouldn't damage the head. If the speaker was rated at 16 ohms, and the SS head output is rated at 8 ohms, neither would be instantaneously damaged (and you'd still get a sound). If the reverse was true, I'm not sure what would happen. There might be some damage caused, but you'd still get sound. Tube amps, however, are a totally different story and I can't comment there, sorry.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (EMG 81/85)
Peavey 6505+
old Marshall 4x12
ISP decimator
MXR 10-band equalizer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Foxx Clean Machine
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone
member, electro-harmonix users' guild
It's solid state, and no matter what I did, it wouldn't make any noise. Actually, it did, but it wasn't audible unless my ear was right next to the amp.
So. Yeah.