I understand every guitar is made up of different types of wood, but does it really matter what type of wood a guitar is made of?
Is there any "suggested" wood? Or does the type of wood pose no significance to the quality of the guitar?
All I know is, as far as electrics go (Sorry, I'm an electric man!) the wood really only matters on the fretboard. There's two dominating flavours of wood, rosewood and... some other one. They offer a different tone, but honestly it's a minimal difference at best. Most of your sound is determined by your pickups and amp.
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
This is an acoustic forum, so I'd assume they are asking about acoustics and not electrics. I'm not even going to touch this one, because someone is going to write an essay in response to it. I'm just going to leave it at "Dark Raven X is wrong."
Quote by Dark Raven X
All I know is, as far as electrics go (Sorry, I'm an electric man!) the wood really only matters on the fretboard. There's two dominating flavours of wood, rosewood and... some other one. They offer a different tone, but honestly it's a minimal difference at best. Most of your sound is determined by your pickups and amp.

Sory but body woods make a huge difference!!! aswell as pickups.
Thats what makes a Strat sound like a Strat and a Les Paul sound like a Les Paul,
It is even more crucial with acoustics If you get the chance to listen to say a Martin D28 and a Gibson J200, the two sound completly different. look at taylorguitars.com there is loads of info on all the different timbers used in acoustics.
Yeah, the woods in an electric are vital. EG, Agathis soudns ****, Mahogany, alder, ash etc sound good. And the Mahogany body is one of the things that seperates the tones of a les pual from a strat (which will generally have an alder body). Also pickups and stuff, but wood is a major thing. Fretboard mainly affects the playing surface for your fingers, and not really the tone.

Acoustic its probably even mroe vital as the wood is the only thing making the noise, instead of electric where the wood used, pickups, amps etc all affect the tone. In an acoustic its just the woods.
Solid wood is always better than laminate wood.
For the soundboard Spruce is the most common but Cedar is also used. You will probably come across a guitar with wood that isnt Spruce or Cedar, and that doesnt mean it is bad, just those two are the most common ones.
For the back and sides Mahogany and Rosewood are the most common. Both are good, Rosewood is in general more expensive so found more commonly in more expensive guitars. But obviously a good bit of mahogany will cost more and sound better than a ****ty peice of rosewood. Both are fantastic woods.
The fretboard is usually Rosewood or Ebony. Ebony is really dark and can be black in colour. It is also more expensive. Personally, I like rosewood better but once again, theyre both good and its preference.
Quote by Chad48309
I'm just going to leave it at "Dark Raven X is wrong."

QFT

Woods are the most important part of any acoustic guitar.

For side and back woods, generally harder woods such as fairly common Indian rosewood or more expensive and rare Brazilian rosewood are used. This amplifies the sound more as the vibrations from the strings are carried with less disturbance from the wood resonating oddly, although the actual effect on tone varies from wood to wood.

Laminates often used for backs and sides are cheaper versions of solid woods, consisting of several layers of wood being glued together. Although they're not as important as the top soundboard, they do damage the overall sound.

Top woods are the opposite. You want a soft wood that will resonate a lot and transfer as much sound as possible, most commonly used Cedar and Spruce. Again tone varies with different woods.

The main consideration here is solid or laminated tops. Solid wood soundboards will break down over time, resulting in a greater resonance and amplitude than laminates that are very stiff by comparison.

Body shape makes a big difference too but i can't be bothered I'll try and find the source i learnt this from a while back.
---------------------------------------------
This is the way the world ends;
not with a bang but a whimper