Page 1 of 2
UG’s Official Music Theory Based Song-Writing Contest: THE THIRD ONE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Please Check This Page For Updates***

UG’s Official Music Theory Based Song-Writing Contest

The idea of this competition is too write a song in the mode of the major scale that I give you. This time it shall be:

The Mixolydian Mode (by popular request)

This is just like the Major Scale but with a flatteneed 7th degree.

It goes like this:

Mixolydian

|o|-|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|o|-|
|-|o|o|-|-|
|o|-|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|

|--------------------------------------------10-12-14-|
|-----------------------------------10-12-13----------|
|-----------------------------11-12-------------------|
|--------------------10-12-14-------------------------|
|-----------10-12-14----------------------------------|
|--10-12-14-------------------------------------------|

For those that don’t know.

The Mixolydian has a wide range of uses: blues (if you do this please stick to the scale though, cos blues has no rules), it's great for psychedelic sounding things, or "happy prog". but it's up to you.

Song Rules:- It can be in any key (e.g. A Mixolydian, C Mixoplydian, Eb Mixolydian)

- The chord progression can contain chords other than the root chord, but your progression/riff must clearly resolve to the root note
- You can us passing tones (e.g. blue notes) but don’t use them heavily, and not at all in the chords if you can help it
- It can be in any genre, any length
- Vocals are optional
- You CAN use Guitar Pro/Powertab to enter but make sure you include a MIDI version so those without can listen. Also you will probably have a better chance if you at least record the guitars
- Must be your own work, and must be recorded specifically for the contest, so no just pulling out an old track that happens to fit the bill

Entry Rules:

- All entries must be posted to your myspace/dmusic/whatever by the 21th July
- If there is a problem with contestants we can extend this. I also recommend you encourage others to compete as hardly anyone visits these forums.
- There is no limit to how many can enter.

- PLEASE IF YOU DO SIGN UP, JUDGE OR PARTICIPANT, TRY AND STAY TRUE YOUR WORD, IF YOU CAN'T DO IT THEN PLEASE SAY ALSO

Finished entries will be judged by me and anyone else who wants to judge. We can have a maximum of 3 judges.

Fun Rules :
Have fun (yes it is a rule)

Partipants:
- Bluesrocker101
- Allstrats726 - "Meander Man"
- Jimmysaint - "Mix Mode Switch"
- Ch715Dallat
- Robin May - "Mixotrog"
- Bluemoon05
- mrmo - "The New Kid In Town"
- metalmaster362 (out)
- Ash_2608 - "Happy Rock"

Judges:
- Sam i am
- Gallagher2006
Last edited by sam i am at Jul 27, 2007,
Im in. I love mixolydian.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I'm in :-)
What is a scale? How to work out scales.. What chords to use.. What are modes & where to find them.. ALL CAN BE FOUND AT www.robinmay.co.uk

PLUS - free backing tracks!!
in this time ill actually try make something good so i dont hurt your ears or bored you by going to chilled. me thinks it will be some metal something short tho maybe 2-3 minutes
Last edited by ch715dallat at Jun 28, 2007,
wassup all.. of course you can count me in!

should be interesting, ive never done anything with the mixolydian mode.. but ive always wanted to.. so we'll see what i can come up with.

peace
Hi Sam

The rules need editing - suggests any key and gives all Dorian examples, and it states the comp ends on 12th June :-}
What is a scale? How to work out scales.. What chords to use.. What are modes & where to find them.. ALL CAN BE FOUND AT www.robinmay.co.uk

Thanks Robin. Thought I'd changed it all from when I pasted it in.

And to ch715 - I'll be interested to see a metal piece using the mixolydian mode.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9789968#post9789968

tis what i have come up with yesterday so ill pretty much be recording that as it is. just need to get some decent drums made out in beatcraft so i can get recording its nothing special but its better than my last entry thats for sure

Edit: screw that, redoing it tomorrow sorry sam ive only bein playing for a small amount of time so im still grasping this theory business

edit: hell no, you know what i did, i got mixed up between dorian and mixolydian, what a dumb ****er i am
Last edited by ch715dallat at Jun 30, 2007,
I'll do something I think

Though I've never done anything like this before so I'm not sure how well I will do.
It's fine, even if you've done anything like this sit's a good way to learn.

And if you have any questions, about recording or the music theory, feel free to ask.
im pulling out unless i find some free time to write something right for this.

sorryyyyyyyyy
no im pumped about this one i've already got a song written and ready, words and all!
bee yatch
jp is in then. and Chris is out.... well let us know if you do write something good.

And i've written a decent song in mixolydian so if we get some more judges maybe i could enter....
Sam, if you've written something and want to join in, then why don't we get creative about how it's judged? Maybe we could all vote on aspects of each others recordings or something? :-)

damn.. i hope i find time to do this. im swamped with work lately... but i refuse to pull out rock out with yo **** out
OK - here's my entry. Comes in at just under two minutes....so at least I aint gonna be boring the judges!

Click Here to listen

It's called 'MixoTrog' - and even though it's so short, I managed to squeeze in a key-change

All comments & feedback appreciated - so if you have a listen then please let us know what you think..

Mrmo - your in. Robin's entry is received as well.

And about the judging, I suppose the we could try everyone choosing a top 3, and doing it Eurovision style. However there are problems with this - we have to rely on everyone voting, and should someone who hasn't bothered voting be allowed to win? I'll see what the others think....
Hi Sam

I'd be up for the Euro-thing as you suggest.

It would seem fair to state clearly (in the rules) that all entrants have to vote if they are to be in the running.. but I guess you'd need some lee-way to give folks time - like they could be away or something and judging would therefore take a little longer.

I'm happy to come up with a score sheet in Word if you want - so marks out of 10 for recording, playing etc as per the criteria you specified in the last comp. A sheet can be mailed to each entrant - then all sent back to you for final scoring.

If that worked smoothly then the same format could be used for future comps - and then you're always free to join in!

What does everyone else think?

Last edited by Robin May at Jul 5, 2007,
I won't be able to continue this one guys. Sorry. I'm busy all next week and this weekend.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I'm happy if the judges postpone the deadline for a week if it means Blues Rocker and Chris can re-join the comp.....just a thought :-}

ill be in this, if theres still room
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Welcome MetalMaster :-)

You need to move fairly fast - as the comp finishes on the 21st. There's definitely room :-)

Metalmaster is in! But hurry up, 4 days left.

That goes for the rest of you - I think I'll PM everone. Unfortuanetly it loloks like we may have to have another extension....
Think I'm gonna take a shot at this as well. Could do with incorporating some new scales into my playing. Will see what I can come up with by tomorrow evening...
Right, Here's what I've come up with:

Happy Rock

Another short one, since I haven't-had-time/couldn't-be-bothered to make a full on song. Actually liked this scale a lot. Got some nice sounds just by soloing over some powerchords that could be added thanks to the flat seventh. Think I might actually use this a lot more in my playing. It let me give an almost pentatonic rock edge to some happier riffs and chords (thus the name).
Drums and Bass were made using Nuendo's LM-7 Drum Machine and VB-1 Virtual Bass Unit.

Let me know what you think guys!
Nice Tunes Gents!!

Ash - it does what it says on the tin: Made me smile :-)

Mrmo - Nice tapping and the main riff sounds very Hendrixesque ;-)

Great compositions - Excellent job all round!!

:-)

OK, thanks for the entries, we now have enough to justify judging! (yay?)

Extra commendation to ash for getting it done so quickly as well. I've had no answer from the other contestants.....
Page 1 of 2