Hi....

Ive recently slowly started to play lead and eventually would love to develop good speed. But i have this feeling i'm using the wrong technique ....so here's my doubt ..
when it comes to shredding , would it be wiser to use a combination of picking , hammer ons and pull offs to play fast licks or use only picking ? ....

Cuz all this while i have been only using picking and i have a feeling i am going in the wrong direction, i mean ....can you really play fast by using only picking ?
You should try and learn how to do both. So learn to play fast purely picking and learn to play fast by using legato, so that you are more versatile in your playing
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Shreadding? First, learn to spell.

Then, learn all of Paul Gilbert.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Speed up by slowing down.
Use a metronome, learn to play accurately at a slow to moderate pace and gradually speed it up.
The key is to maintain accuracy while gaining speed. A great DVD/ book is Petrucci's Rock Discipline. It will make you a better player.

Another piece of advice, make each note count. I would rather hear a well though out 3 or 5 note lick than someone screaming through a meaningless scale.up and down the neck.
Just my opinion.
Heritage H150 Rio Pups, Dean Soltero SL, Dean Hardtail Select with Mustaine Active Pups,
Randall RT 2/50, Peavey Rockmaster, Voodoo Labs Preamp, Carvin Quad, Rocktron Piranha, Intellifex . AVatar 2x12
Peavey Classic 30, Vox ADVT 30,
Pod X3live
Rock Discipline rules
Heritage H150 Rio Pups, Dean Soltero SL, Dean Hardtail Select with Mustaine Active Pups,
Randall RT 2/50, Peavey Rockmaster, Voodoo Labs Preamp, Carvin Quad, Rocktron Piranha, Intellifex . AVatar 2x12
Peavey Classic 30, Vox ADVT 30,
Pod X3live
Yeah, Vai's workout works. But 10 hours is ridiculous . Theres no way you can fit all of those exercises, and get better with them in 10 hours. Its basically Spend 5 minutes on this exercise, then 5 minutes on the next." It leaves no time for improvement.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Rock Discipline has my vote. Tis great for improving technique. I do the warm up exercises every day they do really work.
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT