I am surprised no one has made a thread on this man.

With songs like Time Makes Two, Right Next Door (Because of Me), Up in the Sky, and several others, he's worth checking out.

Discuss...?
Member of the grammar nazis.

Quote by Firenze

I remember the first time I "shaved" my pubes. I'm not gonna go into details, but I will tell you this: to this day, I don't understand why I thought using a combat knife would be a good idea...
Hmm well let's keep this one around for the ones that don't know.

My favorite album is Time Will Tell.

Quote by Firenze

I remember the first time I "shaved" my pubes. I'm not gonna go into details, but I will tell you this: to this day, I don't understand why I thought using a combat knife would be a good idea...
Anyone seen him on crossroads guitar festival with time makes two?Great song and he really is a very good singer
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by matt92l
Anyone seen him on crossroads guitar festival with time makes two?Great song and he really is a very good singer

Yeah I thought he was great. I wish they would have included more of his solo set on the dvd. I thought he was great on Sweet Home Chicago too. I think if Buddy Guy stopped mid-song and pointed to me like that, I wouldn't be able to move, let alone rip a great solo like Cray did.
Quote by matt92l
Anyone seen him on crossroads guitar festival with time makes two? Great song and he really is a very good singer.

Yeah, he did that brilliantly. I saw him support Eric Clapton at the NEC in Birmingham a while back, and he was fantastic. I seem to remember him having his guitar very high up.. I think he did this on the Crossroads DVD too? Seems to suit him, though. Great vocals, and his playing seemed so effortless when I saw him play. Truly top notch.
Quote by holybassbatman!
Most people on UG are teenage boys who think that the only way they can assert their 'dominancy' is by making others feel low and bossing them around. More than likely in real life they are subject to bullying.
True?

Yeah he does have his strap pretty high, and was amazing on Crossroads. Everyone on Crossroads was, I couldn't spot a single mistake on anyone's part. Although the Indian guy I'm not sure you could tell.

Quote by Firenze

I've seen him live four times, he's one of my absolute favorites. I've always been partial to 'Dont Be Afraid of the Dark' (1988), and 'I Was Warned' (1992). And I really enjoy his older records such as 'Bad Influence' (1982) and 'False Accusations' (1985).

I actually own two of his signature Strat's. They are probably the absolute best guitars you can get for the money, and I love them to death. One in Sunburst, the other in Violet.

Gotta love the Cray.
WyldeGibsonPlyr you have a lot of fender guitars.. I can only imagine how many Gibsons you have ....

As you can probably tell I enjoy Mr Robert Cray. Some of his songs aren't very bluesy but they're still great songs. Time Makes Two is my favourite for sure just for the simplicity of it and the way he rocks the solo.

Ceck out the video of Cray and Clapton playing 'Old love' on yout00b. Great stuff, he's so relaxed and just rockin' it. Shame Clapton's so much louder and overpowers him.
I saw him support clapton last fall, and I have the crossroads dvd. He is outstanding no doubt.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
you guys no how far he reaches on the neck for time makes two? its like 1st fret on the low e and 6th fret on the high e and b strings. its intense.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
^^ It's pretty hard. I can kinda do it on a Gibson scale neck but I have no chance on my Tele I haveto take my pinky off real quick then put it back.

He looks like he has really big hands though, he does it with ease.
The dude's an amazing player, no matter what genre you listen to you have to fess up to that.

EDIT:Here is some videos of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRVCnxE0G-Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-QktSM93E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxIgyqT4z4

Quote by Firenze

Last edited by gibson_lover_ga at Jun 28, 2007,
Quote by noah22791
I saw him support clapton last fall, and I have the crossroads dvd. He is outstanding no doubt.

Me too. I saw Cray open for Clapton in Michigan, but I wish Cray would've had a longer set. It was awesome but too short.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
the only album i have is 'midnight stroll', i really like it. must check out some of the others mentioned above as well.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
"Love From Across The Pond" is an amazing album. He seems to really be in his element as a live performer. Great singing and sweet solos. He just needs to work on his between song chatter instead of saying "Like this on the next one.." before every single song.

Also just got "Showdown!" with Cray, Albert Collins and Johnny Copeland. It's hard to tell the 3 apart (Except the singing) but it's still a good album.

I think he should do a whole album of "duets" like with other blues guys, I'd love to hear that.
I'm a big fan of Robert Cray, I saw him supporting Clapton last year. I really enjoy his rhythm playing in particular, he uses lots of great chord extensions that give his tunes a really funky feel.
In my opinion: Great guitarist, great singer....really, really...really naff songwriter.

I mean I like a few o his songs (Time makes two for sure) but his songs and lyrics I think they're just....awful.

"It's consequences, for me and you! Consequences..."

lol
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by aetherspear
you guys no how far he reaches on the neck for time makes two? its like 1st fret on the low e and 6th fret on the high e and b strings. its intense.

I tried that the other day, I can do it on my Rhoads, barely, without moving my hand back and forth but man it hurts.

I dunno if I could do it on a strat.

Quote by Firenze

Dunno how common this knowledge is, but I just saw him on the Hail! Hail! Rock 'N Roll Chuck Berry special, they did a duet on Brown Eyed Handsome man. Pretty good, too.

Quote by Firenze

Yeah, i saw him play on the roof of the Gibson Guitar Center here in Memphis, and the show was amazing...we left a little early and you could hear him playin the last song all the way down Beale St.....SO awesome.
Quote by meh!
In my opinion: Great guitarist, great singer....really, really...really naff songwriter.

I mean I like a few o his songs (Time makes two for sure) but his songs and lyrics I think they're just....awful.

"It's consequences, for me and you! Consequences..."

lol

I would agree...he writes terrible songs, but he can sing and play his guitar very well.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Jackolas
What? omg leave him alone. He writes great songs!

Seconded.

Right Next Door (Because of Me)
Time Makes Two
Foul Play
Fantasized
Up in the Sky...

All amazing songs, that last one in particular.

Quote by Firenze

Quote by gibson_lover_ga
Seconded.

Right Next Door (Because of Me)
Time Makes Two
Foul Play
Fantasized
Up in the Sky...

All amazing songs, that last one in particular.

I said, he writes a few good songs.

Most them *are* naff as hell, don't know how you can disagre lol.

Just listen to the lyrics to "consequences" or, in fact, almost all the songs on the album with consequences on it.

:p
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
I said, he writes a few good songs.

Most them *are* naff as hell, don't know how you can disagre lol.

Just listen to the lyrics to "consequences" or, in fact, almost all the songs on the album with consequences on it.

:p

Hell I like all of Time Will Tell and Strong Persuader.

Quote by Firenze

Today I borrowed about 25 CDs from my uncle to rip to my computer.. So I whacked on John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" album first and it got to track 3 'Same old blues again'.. The guitar solo started and I was all "Ooh, Robert Cray?" after the first lick.. So I flicked to the booklet and sure enough it was Robert Cray pwning a solo all over JLH.

This is a pretty pointless story I guess but it just goes to show the benefits of finding YOUR own tone for blues.

Anyway, Killer song and the solo is awesome. Get it if you haven't got it already.