I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb or something for levels in a band. We have two guitars, a bass, and a drummer. And it always seems like we are having soundwars to out loud the other. So I was wondering if there was any rule of thumb or anything to get a good level and clean tight overall sound.

thanks
The biggest one: Don't turn up to match everyone else, have them turn down. Otherwise it turns into a big muddy mess. Only get as loud as you need to be heard over the drummer. Besides, much louder and you'll end up hurting your hearing.

Other than that, there are no real rules.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
We used to have the same problem- don't worry. It's not very 'pro' but all guitars and basses and bass snare and ride (drums) hit the same chord at the same time - i find G works best and there. Then keep the ratio right to get below the vocal if you get my drift.
Quote by Calgone
The biggest one: Don't turn up to match everyone else, have them turn down. Otherwise it turns into a big muddy mess. Only get as loud as you need to be heard over the drummer. Besides, much louder and you'll end up hurting your hearing.

Other than that, there are no real rules.

And what he said. Good point. Missed that.
yeah make sure its not all the same level, like both guitars arent the same, i do that a lot with my other guitarist, either im louder, or he is, never the same, otherwise it clashes HORRIBLY
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Listen to your favourite bands and gauge it from there. Every style of music will be different.

Whenever my band plays a show, I have to tell the soundguy to turn me (guitar) down and the bassist up because that's how our influences work.

Also, have contrasting tones for both guitarists. Try different EQ/pickup positions in order to make each instrument stick out.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Ahhh makes sense. Of course the lead needs to be louder and what not. Most live bands ive heard, the bass always seems to be prominent.
Quote by cray159
I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb or something for levels in a band. We have two guitars, a bass, and a drummer. And it always seems like we are having soundwars to out loud the other. So I was wondering if there was any rule of thumb or anything to get a good level and clean tight overall sound.

thanks

thats just stupid, one of you is gonna be like "i win haha i r pro!" and the others will quit and be like "**** you"
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue
thats just stupid, one of you is gonna be like "i win haha i r pro!" and the others will quit and be like "**** you"

Yes, Im aware that it is stupid. You sir are the master of the obvious.
Last edited by cray159 at Jun 27, 2007,