Today, I have offically got a bass guitar(Renegade Jazz Bass copy) and an amp

I was wondering how you position your hand while playing. I've heard that some people rest their thumb on the pickups, and some rest their thumbs on the top string and some just float I guess...
And do you only use two fingers on the bass?
some basses actually come with a thumb rest

you can use all the fingers you want
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
well... i rest my fingers on the pickups all the time because my fingers are huge and i can reach the high strings with ease... plus i use all my fingers on both hands (at some point) to play...

some people rest their thumb on the "top" (actually lower) string to be able to play more comfortably, i dont do that because i have no necessity...
try to find how your fingers reach the strings better and in what positions you find sound cooler and are more comfortable for you...
i float, i found using my thumb resting on anything made playing very inaccurate and slower. so i trained myself to float and ive been alot more accurate
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Anchoring is the technical term for having a point where your hand is against the bass at all times.

I would suggest just doing whatever is comfortable for yuo and what lets you play to the best of your ability.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I usually anchor my thumb on one of the pups. Try it out and see which tone you prefer! It's all down to your preference as to what feels comfortable for you.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Most people rest there thumb on the pickup. It's what I do and I haven't ran into trouble. You can use all the fingers you want from 2-5 as long as you're not only using one then your clear. (If someone pulls the JJ card I'll flip).
i float, i found using my thumb resting on anything made playing very inaccurate and slower. so i trained myself to float and ive been alot more accurate

there are barely any people who play well like that! i wish i could!
im tellin oyu man, resting your thumb on something greatly decreases accuracy while playing a t a faster rate, swiching which string your hitting is much harder while your tumbs on something
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by DesolationRow0
there are barely any people who play well like that! i wish i could!

really? it didnt take me very long to learn. maybe 2 hours at most, its alot easier for me to float
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Actually it's just what you practise.

uhno man, i used to play resting on something, and when i switched i noticed my accuracy vastly inproved at greater speeds, slow speeds is all the same i suppose
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I usually anchor my thumb either on the pups or the E string, esp. on my Ibanez, since with the strings closer together, it mutes the E string from harmonically resonating with the other strings.

I was also taught to keep my right hand at a strict right angle to the strings, which if you are switching from playing, say, classical guitar, helps to get the right plucking motion appropriate for a bass.
Yeah, floating is a lot easier for me. And my pickups aren't big enough for my thumb to anchor.

What kind of songs would you use a pick for though?
i use picks for like....punk songs........ramones and stuff....i rarely have or use them though.... gotta buy some new ones..... i often lose them after having them for one day or so =(...
Quote by RockettBoy
Yeah, floating is a lot easier for me. And my pickups aren't big enough for my thumb to anchor.

i dont use a pick, pretty much ever, not even if the band im covering uses a pick
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Use a pick whenever you think the sound it produces fits the situation best. As for the right hand I float between the p/up, the E string and the A string, but sometimes I rest my wrist in the body or bridge if I'm doing classical style full hand finger picking.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at Jun 28, 2007,
Quote by bassman10101
uhno man, i used to play resting on something, and when i switched i noticed my accuracy vastly inproved at greater speeds, slow speeds is all the same i suppose

It's all about what's comfortable.
Quote by RockettBoy

i dont use a pick ever, not even if the band im covering uses a pick, but its all in what you prefer
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
gahh lagy computer, i keep posting things twice. and i suppose its whats comfortable, but floating seems to be the best way
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I try to keep my thumb opposed to my fingers at all times. It's never off to the side or floating in midair, as this stops the natural opposable thumb movement that all primates have. I rest my thumb on the pickup when playing on the E and A strings, and on the E string when I play the other three. This keeps it muted and my hand relaxed. I never put my thumb on the A or D strings, as it serves no purpose and cramps up my hand. And even though he's a metal bass god, don't EVER do what Cliff does and rest your palm on the top of the bass. I see a lot of bassists doing it, and it sounds like ****. Cliff's the only one who got away with it, so don't try it. Also, keep your thumb anchored and don't free-float it.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I rest my thumb on the lip of the neck, at the 22nd/23rd fret and mostly use 2 fingers, but sometimes 3.
I usually anchor my pinky when playing the top string and anchor my thumb on the top string for the other strings......bad habit but I've been playing for two months....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
When I play with fingers, I usually anchor my thumb on the neck pickup for the lower strings (I have a fiver), but I move my hand around and anchor my thumb on the end of the neck where it joins the body when I have to do extended playing on the upper strings, because it feels nicer that way. Do what's comfortable as long as it is not something like mountaindew88 said.
I anchor my thumb on the P pups and mostly reach over if i'm playing the D and G string. But if I'm playing those strings mainly I will use the walking thumb technique and anchor it on the A string.
signature
Floating between pickups I angle my hand on the corner of the pickups so I can tilt my hand, making string access much easier. I used to place my thumb on the string as well as keep my thumb parallel to the string, but that turned out to be a bad habit as resting my thumb on the string knocked it slightly out of tune and parallel placing apparently leads to bad bone structure.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

I usually anchor my thumb on my pickup, but with my small hands I'm forced to anchor my thumb on the E string to play the D and G. I also sometimes find myself anchoring my thumb on top of the body, which is quite a long stretch so I don't recommend it.
4 sure not anchoring can help u build speed and accuracy! But for those with small hands(like me)anchoring can be helpfull. Just don't do it on your pick-up because every time you nudge it(expecially live or recording) you hear it come out your amp.
My opinion anchoring on your pick-up is a very bad habit! Unless u like the sloppy sounds like in the Ramones, I guess it don't matter then!
you have 2 options, 1 you put your thumb on a pickup and use your index finger and your middle finger (optional)(a.ka.Anchoring) or you can use a pick, whatever is more comfterable
Last edited by Likecal at Jun 28, 2007,
My bass has a thumb rest, so it's pretty easy to use two fingers.

Whenever a song calls for a pick though, I use the back of my nail. (sometimes I use it anyway)