A'ight, much to my amusement [and relative comfort in re-affirming my own abilities] within this thread found here, I followed a couple of links through and came to this video:

Bass Tips #1 - Seemingly Presented By... Wooten?

Realistically, can one [or has] slap so far up the neck and achieved a good sound?

: /

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Is he retarded?
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

The thought did cross my mind ...

But as a legitimate question, slapping that far up?

wow, that guy sounds like he sucks.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
No most people don't slap that high although some do.

Ah ok. Any artists in particular? Video?

I think Wooten does that kind of slap when he mixes it with tapping on things like Norwegian Wood.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
i think he's kinda HIGH (only kinda??)...

wooten slaps sometimes that up actually (for different note pitches maybe?).. but its rare even for him!
Well that video was pathetic, but as for the question of slapping itself: I generally slap on the neck, usually at about the 24th fret, so he does it a bit higher, but slapping on the neck is fine generally speaking. It's just more comfortable for me to do it right on the bottom of the neck and I tend to get a better sound out of it that way.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by Ataxia
A'ight, much to my amusement [and relative comfort in re-affirming my own abilities] within this thread found here, I followed a couple of links through and came to this video:

Bass Tips #1 - Seemingly Presented By... Wooten?

Realistically, can one [or has] slap so far up the neck and achieved a good sound?

: /

This dude is a f***ing retard. But yeah it's a different sound if you slap on the neck. Sometimes it sounds kick ass, sometimes it sounds out of place. Experiment a little.
And for God's sake don't watch any video's by retarded cracked out junkies that suck!
Lmao-WTF no F*ck words
"whatever's comfortable with you, man." =P it's true though, if you find that somehow more comfortable than say right above the last fret on the neck or closer to the bridge, you probably should(assuming it sounds right).
I, personally, slap well above the neck, and right across her cheeks. THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID IT!

But seriously, most people tend to slap at the neck joint, but personally, I pick up a lot of harmonics around there. Then again, Larry Graham, the inventor of slap, slaps right at the bridge.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i play fretless and its hard to get good tone slaping unless its on the neck, but im generally right on the edge of it
He's actually kinda right. You do what's comfortable to you, and that's what he's doing.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
theres somethng in that guy's voice that makes him seem really sweet and innocent, kind of like Adam Sandler (when he isn't being shouty and annoying)
i usually slap towards the middle, like between the pickups... and i have to say, hes not good at slapping
Quote by webbtje
I'd give myself buttsecks, because I have a small penis.

www.myspace.com/southeastexit
My Band. Check it out.
its metal/electronica
You want to be slapping as close to the neck, because the sound of "slap bass" is caused by the string slapping the neck. If you play too far away from the neck you are going to lack tone.

Fitz, Graham usually plays by the bridge when is acentuating the pop more than the slap. this gives the pop a crisper sound. he is really thumbing the bass strings when he plays like that.

Really, there is no "right spot", and tone, as much as comfort, should dictate position. But for a beginner, definitely aim for by the neck.

This seems as good as any to watch the master at work.

You dont get more funky than this, kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbhxB7cGbw

Fcking slap machine.
im tempted to try this that far up
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Quote by enzoslashslash

But wait, there is far worse. Prepare yourself...

Break Stuff

doesn't slapping on the fretboard usually gives you nice slap harmonics (if you slap at the right place) ?
Quote by Ataxia

Break Stuff

It sounds like farts
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by DesolationRow0
i think he's kinda HIGH (only kinda??)...

wooten slaps sometimes that up actually (for different note pitches maybe?).. but its rare even for him!

on Meth?
Quote by Ataxia

Break Stuff

Why did you inflict this on me?
'Once you're dead you're made for life - you have to die
before they think you're worth anything'
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by BodaciousZac
Banned because I hate you now.

One day and Im hated