I don't like admitting it, but it's true.

I only started using my strat for less than a year. I've been playing for 2.5 years and for about...over 1.5 of that 2.5 years, I was playing classical guitar. Personally I didn't choose to play classical at first but I grew to love it. But I hate to admit that ever since I picked up my electric, I neglected my classical "training". I totally forgot how to play those pretty songs I learned lol.

Anyways..the only reason I started using my electric was because I had Jazz band for my senior year. That class certainly helped..but I didn't learn much as a guitar player.

And now I'm lost. They're so much I want to play but I don't really know what to do. I love my strat. The tone isn't that bad but I wish it could sound better. That's the main reason why I'm so lost with what to do. I have no clue what to do with my tone. Well..that and I have no clue about effects yet.

Right now, I feel overwhelm with what to do. Should I get a new amp or should I start buying pedals? I always I wanted to buy some pedals but they're rather..pricey. Since I just graduated, I just got some money . I truthfully don't know a lot about effects.

The only sound that come from my strat is "clean". Mostly..because I was in Jazz Band and that was the only sound I could play.

I need some help! Someone please explain about tone and effects to me? I've been reading about it but I'm still...a little lost.
Last edited by femme fatale at Jun 28, 2007,
Definitely a new amp, Strats can dirty up nicely if they have to so it's the amp that's letting you down - how much potentially have you got to spend and what kind of sound are you looking for?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well I'm not exactly loaded right now. I wasn't going to spend my money on a new amp because they're just so expensive. I'm willing to only fork out maybe..maybe 200 bucks right now. It's frustrating not to have money and a job :[

I want a nice light funky tone (John Frusciante) and also also a warm tone..not sure how to really put that (Slash)...and then there's another one that I can't explain. (Tony Iommi)
Pop down to a guitar shop and have a play with one of these then...i guarantee you'll want to take it home

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

check out the line 6 flextone III, this is the amp I have, It sounds awsome and you can get any sound out of it that u want.
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
check out the line 6 flextone III, this is the amp have, It sounds awsome and you can get any sound out of it that u want.

Last time I looked the Flextone was a shade over $200...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Pop down to a guitar shop and have a play with one of these then...i guarantee you'll want to take it home

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958

holy..motherchucker. I think I'm in love. I just listened to the sound bytes. I like them all excepted for number 1 and 6.

This really seems like a good deal too...hmmmmmmm....I'm tempted to buy it now
The Valvetronix is a really nice amp, they have nice-sounding amp models and some useable effects to muck around with (flanger, delay, chorus etc). The smaller, cheaper Voxes the DA series are nice too, sound isn't quite as good and there's a couple less features but they will run off batteries so you can sit on a hill or something if you feel that way inclined.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 28, 2007,
i 2nd the valvetronix. phenomenal little amps that are packed with all sorts of toys for absurd amounts of fun. you can dial in just about any kind of tone you can think of.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by steven seagull
The smaller, cheaper VOxes the DA series are nice too, sound isn't quite as good and there's a couple less features but they will run off batteries so you can sit on a hill or something if you feel that way inclined.

sigged.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by femme fatale
holy..motherchucker. I think I'm in love. I just listened to the sound bytes. I like them all excepted for number 1 and 6.

This really seems like a good deal too...hmmmmmmm....I'm tempted to buy it now

the last one sounded like a phase shifter - not a flanger... I had one in the 70's (old 'eh) and it sounds like my "old" small stone phase shifter.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Dave_Mc
sigged.

I can't belive you sigged a post with a typo
You're a twat, you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by femme fatale
I need some help! Someone please explain about tone and effects to me? I've been reading about it but I'm still...a little lost.

TONE.

Tone is the part of your sound coming from your amp that isn't pitch. Pitch is the note, tone is how it comes off... Hard to really explain it in words, but that first sentence should hit it pretty well.

Modifying your tone is the easy part. There are a bajillion kajillion ways to do it. Equalization (changing the boost or cut of certain frequencies in your sound; I'm sure you're familiar, with a high school band background) does a number on your sound. It can change your sound a lot, anywhere from cutting off the bass behind your power chords to scooping the mids out of your sound for a thinner, heavier tone altogether. If your amp has a Contour knob, you'll probably want to know what that does. Contour adjusts the range of the mid knob of your equalizer, so it changes how another knob affects your tone. Gain is pretty easy to describe, it's asecondary volume control, of sorts. Volume controls how loud your sound is, and Gain controls how much of your sound there is in that volume. Sort of. Gain makes your sound fuzzier, and brings your high end out.

That's about all for what's on your amp... As far as pedals, you should probably stay away from those until you've got a better amp. And by the time you need the influence on your tone that pedals can provide, you will probably also know what you're looking for.
Quote by steven seagull
I can't belive you sigged a post with a typo
You're a twat, you.

i'll fix it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by femme fatale
Well I'm not exactly loaded right now. I wasn't going to spend my money on a new amp because they're just so expensive. I'm willing to only fork out maybe..maybe 200 bucks right now. It's frustrating not to have money and a job :[

I want a nice light funky tone (John Frusciante) and also also a warm tone..not sure how to really put that (Slash)...and then there's another one that I can't explain. (Tony Iommi)

Well I think your strat could give you a tone you could use for RHCP GnR and Black Sabbath, but only a close tone to Frusciante. I'd say invest in a roland microcube, they're extremely versatile and it'll last as a bedroom practive amp.
Dickless.