to record drums should i spend the 150 on drum mics

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-PRO7-7Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=270749

or could i get a better set up that is more versatile that will still make my drums sound really good.

ive got 157 dollars to spend
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
go for it. i've heard they're not too shabby for the price.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
$150 isn't enough. You'll need a mixer, unless you already have one with 7 XLR inputs with phantom power. If you need a mixer, I suggest the SoundTech PMX200R. There's no panning but it's cheap.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
look into mackie mixers as they are a good start but for recording you cant beat the price of the Yamaha MG series mixers. Great preamps and phantom power.
3 band eq
panning on all channels
good parts
great construction
extremely low noise
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And to record the drums properly, you're going to need 5-6 mics aswell.

LIES!!!

I'm recording with three mics. Two cardioid condenser mics on boom stands hanging over the kit, left and right. And one dynamic cardioid in the bass drum to capture the lows. The recordings sound great.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
ive got a mixer, its a berhringer ub2222 fx its got 8 XLR inputs and 14 other inputs as well and ive got a fostex eight track recorder chill guys im not ****ing stupid.

im just worried about the mic situation. i could buy the drum mics then record drums with those and use the condenser mics to record guitars/vocals. or i could get three cheap dynamic mics for 20 bucks then buy two mxl 990s but i then i wouldn't have enough for stands. help.
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
Quote by guitar guy 6006
ive got a mixer, its a berhringer ub2222 fx its got 8 XLR inputs and 14 other inputs as well and ive got a fostex eight track recorder chill guys im not ****ing stupid.

im just worried about the mic situation. i could buy the drum mics then record drums with those and use the condenser mics to record guitars/vocals. or i could get three cheap dynamic mics for 20 bucks then buy two mxl 990s but i then i wouldn't have enough for stands. help.

Oh ok. Get the drum mics then, I have a CAD mic and it's great.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Id say save for triggers and a midi system.

no.
Quote by MightyAl

]
Quote by Muphin
LIES!!!

I'm recording with three mics. Two cardioid condenser mics on boom stands hanging over the kit, left and right. And one dynamic cardioid in the bass drum to capture the lows. The recordings sound great.

How does it sound? Got any sound-clips?

We were always told to get the best quality recording to use:
Two for the Bass drum;
Two for the toms;
One for the snare;
One for the Cymbals.
Quote by buckethead_jr
How does it sound? Got any sound-clips?

We were always told to get the best quality recording to use:
Two for the Bass drum;
Two for the toms;
One for the snare;
One for the Cymbals.

No clips The drummer is not willing to get his fat lazy ass over here.

I can tell you that you do not need to mic each drum individually. A pair of overheads will pick up the entire kit very well. The only need for close mics are to capture more attack, so there is usually a dynamic mic on the snare to get that punchiness, and a mic infront of the kick to get the nice boom.

Even if you have a mic on every drum and cymbal, the location of the kit and the quality of the room will still be the most important factors in the recording.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^ Well, our drummer uses quite a big kit and we tried using less mics but the general quality decreased and some parts were drowned out by the cymbals.
And like you said, there was less attack in the sound, which we really liked.

I'm gonna try different positioning of the mics and use less to get a similar sound to what we have now, cause i absolutely love that.
While you certainly can get good/decent results with fewer mics - most high quality drum recordings these days use at least one mic per part of kit, but that is speaking from a more professional standpoint - it can be done with fewer.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Muphin
No clips The drummer is not willing to get his fat lazy ass over here.

I can tell you that you do not need to mic each drum individually. A pair of overheads will pick up the entire kit very well. The only need for close mics are to capture more attack, so there is usually a dynamic mic on the snare to get that punchiness, and a mic infront of the kick to get the nice boom.

Even if you have a mic on every drum and cymbal, the location of the kit and the quality of the room will still be the most important factors in the recording.

and how would you go about setting levels between each part of the kit?

in my opinion you should mic everything up.
Last edited by CircleThisCity at Jun 30, 2007,
yeah i went ahead with the mic pack and im gonna see how that turns out cause you never know. I definitely went with the cheap way out so if all goes bad ill just keep saving and get a few higher quality condenser mics and see what i can do. I could probably use those two mics that they sent for overheads for instruments or at least vocals right? I figure I'll at least be able to use them all for something if the drum mics turn out bad.
Quote by MightyAl

]
they just got here and the quality is awesome!
Quote by MightyAl

]
Quote by CircleThisCity
and how would you go about setting levels between each part of the kit?

in my opinion you should mic everything up.

There is so much bleeding it doesn't matter anyways. The drums are all one instrument. Two overheads will capture everything. Close mics on the snare and bass will accent the two most important drums.

If you turn the gain up on a rack tom's close mic you'll be hearing more snare, and more of the rest of the toms anyways.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation