ok so maybe this shouldn't be in basics, but i'm getting better at hammers and pulls but i still can't seem to get any of thunderstruck down. can anyone give some advice for this particular song or some more detailed tips? i mean it'd be good to have the advice otherwise but right now i have a craving for thunder thanks!

PS - tried search bar, won't work at the moment. if there is another thread like this please post link.
in the live at donnington dvd, im pretty sure angus one hand taps the intro, this is pretty obvious cuz his right hand is in the air when hes playing it
Swag

Schecter Blackjack C-1/C-7
Ovation Balladeer
Mesa F30
DanL Chorus
Bad Horsie Wah
EB Volume Pedal
Quote by tunasband
isnt the whole song picked...? no hammer ons or pull offs...? at least not in the intro....

i heard it's actually a one handed tapping thing, but that makes no sense to me, i learned to play it picked and that's how i play it...
1. MAke sure you are playing it on the B-string. A bunch of idiots in my old guitar class palyed it on the E-string
2.Practice the hammer ons, then the pull offs
oh and yea, you can pick it, but it sounds a hell of a lot more authentic Angus Young if you hammer on and pull off
It's definitely tapping. What exactly do you need help on? Make sure you're making a slight pulling motion off of the string and not just lifting your finger up, and that you're tapping the string hard enough. If you accidentally hit other strings while practicing, make sure you mute those with your right hand.
i'm having a bit of trouble muting other strings (because of my thumb cast) but im having trouble hammering the top note, what fingers would you reccomend for each? just the intro btw. i tried picking all of it but i'm not that good yet.
i use pointer and pinky for the first two, and when you hit the 12th fret id use pinky ring middle ring middle pointer ring pointer ringer pointer middle
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by tunasband
isnt the whole song picked...? no hammer ons or pull offs...? at least not in the intro....

The video and during shows Angus plays it one handed so I assume that's how it is on the album......If you mute the E and G then you can really over-do your hammer and pulls for a more distinct sound....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I've seen a friend play it with a pick and it sounds fine

but i think Angus does tap though ,,
R.I.P Dimebag Darrell (1966-2004) . He Came To Rock And Rocked Like No Other!

Looking for a band in california in need of a guitarist (any genre mostly metal)--(SoCal otherwise its fine) PM ME

Add Me!
My Myspace!
angus taps it on the album, but he had only B string on his guitar to record that part... i think he mostly picks it live, he just taps the beggining to show off a bit...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
on the record, every note is picked, but live and in the video angus taps it. fact.
there's NO tapping as such, just left-hand hammer ons. You can pick it or play it that way, Angus does both - but live he'll usually do it left-handed for show with his right hand stuck up in the air, looking somewhat like a scholboy who wants to be excused from class....with an SG.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I always play it using hammer ons and pull offs and use my picking hand to mute the e and g strings. That way you can really exaggerate the pull off motion without getting unwanted string noise.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
ive never actually thought of using hammer ons and pull offs in the intro Oo...I gotta try that...sounds fairly plausible with a lot of gain
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by gnrlover1
on the record, every note is picked, but live and in the video angus taps it. fact.

Hi
on the album angus hammer ons and pulls of the intro but live he picks it personally i couldnt play it without picking till i started tappin and now its soo easy for me to play it with one hand so i would suggest you do a whole ton of double tapping exersises
Quote by FearTheD
i had sex with abraham lincolns dog at the last supper

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
KurtSlashJimi, you are the most metal man who has started a thread all night

R.I.P.(Rock In Peace)
Randy Rhoads & Dime Bag Darrel
Quote by SuperDuperSlash
in the live at donnington dvd, im pretty sure angus one hand taps the intro, this is pretty obvious cuz his right hand is in the air when hes playing it

ive got donnigton tooo but i thought he picked it hold on a sec ill watch it right now
Quote by FearTheD

Quote by I'm_Guitarded

R.I.P.(Rock In Peace)
he picks it at donnington 100% sure im watchin it right now and he puts his hand in the air before he starts playing
Quote by FearTheD

Quote by I'm_Guitarded

R.I.P.(Rock In Peace)
On the album, he picked the entire intro. He put tape on the other 5 strings to keep them from ringing out. They discussed this in Guitar World a few months back.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
GNRlover and DaddyTwoFoot are right, it was picked on the album, and depending on the concert footage you watch it is either picked or hammered-on and pulled-off. The way I play it is to hammer-on and pull-off for the intro, and any time the intro lick is repeated in the song, I pick it. People love that one-handed playing.

Now, as far as actually working the song so that it sounds good...

Here's what worked for me, I used my picking hand thumb and index finger to mute the G and e strings, then used my fingering hand to hammer-on and pull-off the intro. About a week of practice later, and you don't need to mute the strings, and you're ready to impress some friends!!!
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
GNRlover and DaddyTwoFoot are right, it was picked on the album, and depending on the concert footage you watch it is either picked or hammered-on and pulled-off. The way I play it is to hammer-on and pull-off for the intro, and any time the intro lick is repeated in the song, I pick it. People love that one-handed playing.

Now, as far as actually working the song so that it sounds good...

Here's what worked for me, I used my picking hand thumb and index finger to mute the G and e strings, then used my fingering hand to hammer-on and pull-off the intro. About a week of practice later, and you don't need to mute the strings, and you're ready to impress some friends!!!

Yeah, I did it the exact same way.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by gnrlover1

Angus wrote it originally as hammer-ons and such, but they changed it in the studio to picking. In live performances, he just taps it for show.