gotta know ur pentatonics and some "dime scales" like:
|-11-12-15-| on every string
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
harmoic minor's modes espicially phrygian dominantpentatonic blues phrygian mode but the scale doesnt matter its just what proggression your playing over
In theory you can apply any scale to any genre, there are no "metal scales" as such

But having said that minor scales are the most often used most commonly the minor pentatonic scales

But be creative dude lol
Diminished
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by sajuuk
In theory you can apply any scale to any genre, there are no "metal scales" as such

But having said that minor scales are the most often used most commonly the minor pentatonic scales

But be creative dude lol

Yeah, I'am just learning scales and was curious on what are most used in metal thanks.
If you want to play music in any genre that was born from the blues, you need to learn the minor pentatonic scale to better grasp what's going on. You might as well learn which notes are blue notes in the minor pentatonic scale too, because those notes can be the difference between a good solo and a great solo.

Again, there are not specific scales for each genre. You can throw blue notes into a metal song if you want. In A440 western music, there are basically only 12 notes anyway.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
yeah like all these other guys say learn the pentatonic shapes and then get modes n **** down n then go for arpeggios just dont be like every other metal player n blast through thembe creative n shove in other ideas from different genres like jazz n fusion
Guitar:Gibson Les Paul Standard

Amp:Vox AC30

Everyone listen to MGMT
Quote by geetarguy92
yeah like all these other guys say learn the pentatonic shapes and then get modes n **** down n then go for arpeggios just dont be like every other metal player n blast through thembe creative n shove in other ideas from different genres like jazz n fusion

How would he be creative by taking ideas from other genres and putting it into metal?
Isnt taking something the opposite of creativity?
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Slaytanic6606
How would he be creative by taking ideas from other genres and putting it into metal?
Isnt taking something the opposite of creativity?

No. If artists never took ideas from their predecessors we wouldn't have most of the music we have today. Blues artists stole from traditional African music, rock artists stole from blues artists, metal artists stole from rock artists and classical composers, Steve Vai stole from the traditional folk music of some Eastern European countries.

Quote by Pablo Picasso
Good artists borrow. Great artists steal.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by Your41Plague12
Diminished

+10. If you really want a maniacal dark sound.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Quote by sajuuk

But be creative dude lol

Exactly. I've seen people rip out some awesome Lydian solos in the middle of a song, and make it fit perfectly, there are no specific metal solos.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Pentactonic and Blues scales will give you a classic heavy metal tone. Everyone from Kirk Hammett of Metallica to Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin uses pentactonics and blues scales and everyone knows how different they sound. It's such a well rounded versatile scale.

Major Scale is really nice too. Eddie Van Halen loves the Major scale. It's not as easy to write stuff with the Major Scale as the Blues scale but it's a great scale.

You also want to learn your modes and stuff too.
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic
Phrygian
Aeolian
Locrian
Ionian
Harmonic Minor
Melodic Minor (1-2-b3-4-5-6-7)
Phrygian Dominant (1-b2-3-4-5-b6-b7)
Hungarian Minor (1-2-b3-#4-5-b6-7)
Locrian Natural 6 (1-b2-b3-4-b5-6-b7)
Diminished (1-b2-b3-b4-b5-b6-bb7)