with the song playing, try different notes on the guitar to find the tonality of the song; what key it's in. this will be the note that the song resolves to. then do this for each chord in the song, and work out if each chord is major or minor. as for riffs, think if they're major, minor or pentatonic, and work them out by playing around within the scale.
just start tabbing songs that sound easy, silly but true.

I mean, if you hear that a guy is doing lots of stuff you can't play, it's worthless. You have to be able to play the song in the first place
Quote by deHufter
just start tabbing songs that sound easy, silly but true.

I mean, if you hear that a guy is doing lots of stuff you can't play, it's worthless. You have to be able to play the song in the first place

Hahahaha, that is so untrue. Give me the most insane solo and I can guarantee you I can tab it at the same time guaranteeing you I can't play it. You just need the right tools to do it; playing it is irrelevant if you do it right.
Quote by rcw110131
Hahahaha, that is so untrue. Give me the most insane solo and I can guarantee you I can tab it at the same time guaranteeing you I can't play it. You just need the right tools to do it; playing it is irrelevant if you do it right.

is that true!
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Yea I'd like to start tabbing too but I don't know which songs to start with??? Any suggestions?? Metal is what I like!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by PLUGINCHILD
is that true!

Yes, absolutely. With Adobe Audition, a nice tabbing program with playback (TabIt is the easiest to use), and a little knowledge you can tab practically anything. No joke.

EDIT: check out my Becoming The Dragon tab by Trivium. You think I can play some of those solos? Fuck no. Are they correct? You bet your ass they are.
Last edited by rcw110131 at Jun 28, 2007,
Quote by rcw110131

you're a loser when you only can play a song 60 BPM lower, especially when you tabbed that song
Quote by rcw110131

That may be true, but you laugh and make it sound like you could have tabbed a Jeff Loomis solo by ear.

I'm going to agree that without the aid of any kind of outside program you need to be somewhat able to play/familiar with the technqiues involved to tab a song.

That being said... the more you tab the more you learn to recognize certain techniques that would better enable you to tab more difficult songs in the future. You'll learn to disect certain sections of a song much faster than when you first started tabbing.
Also, learning to tab songs is a great way to help with your own song writing. (If you're into that sort of thing.)

There's been a lot of times that I've thought of a riff in my head and just went and tabbed it out. That way I don't necessarily have to stumble across a cool idea while playing my guitar. I could think of an entire song before I even sit down.
Try some 7 nation army songs, or nirvana songs as a beginner thing. Also Behtovans (omg spelling noob ) Moonlight Sonata is a great piece, just for the first bit to try and tab!

There are different ways of tabbing a song, if you know what key its in then it gets alot easier, there are also common progressions used throughout some types of music that can help and speed up your tabbing...
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Peanut1614
Try some 7 nation army songs, or nirvana songs as a beginner thing. Also Behtovans (omg spelling noob ) Moonlight Sonata is a great piece, just for the first bit to try and tab!

There are different ways of tabbing a song, if you know what key its in then it gets alot easier, there are also common progressions used throughout some types of music that can help and speed up your tabbing...

Seven Nation army, is a song.
Quote by Peanut1614
Try some 7 nation army songs, or nirvana songs as a beginner thing.
you mean White Stripes??
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Yeah, just learn some silversun pickups, white stripes, green day, or 30 seconds to mars, they're easy to figure out.
Money doesn't make you happy, I was just as happy with 48 million as I am with 50 million.