I need a new guitar, but not because I'm unhappy with my Jackson. Just the opposite; I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to it. I'm going to college in the fall, and dorm rooms are not the most secure place. And even if my SLSMG doesn't get stolen, it will be played by others...with greasy hands, no less. So I was wondering if anyone could suggest a cheap guitar (up to like $200 or so) that I could take to school just to practice on (no gigging or recording, I'll break out the Jackson for those situations). I have some spare EMGs sitting around so don't worry about the electronics; I'm just looking for a guitar that will allow me to practice and keep my metal chops up. NO FENDERS, please. My only only other preference would be for a Tune-O-Matic style bridge, for Floyd Roses give me nightmares. Thanks.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (EMG 81/85)
Peavey 6505+
old Marshall 4x12
ISP decimator
MXR 10-band equalizer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Foxx Clean Machine
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone
member, electro-harmonix users' guild
corts are pretty versatile especially the g series. you can pick up a decent second hand one for about 200 on ebay.
uh.. some used ibanez rg, i got a thru neckkker for $300
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
A cheap Epiphone. They are good guitars and you can get some of them really cheap.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
try stuff like Stagg , epiphone , squire , you know , something cheap but playable . oh yeah , and dont go buy a new one , buy a nice cheap one !
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
Hey thanks for all the recommendations. What I'll probably end up doing is just going to 'music go round' or some used place like that and buying something cheap that I can paint and replace all the electronics in. I'm also planning on drilling a hole in the body somewhere, so I can lock it up with a bike lock or something.
Peavey 6505+
old Marshall 4x12
ISP decimator
MXR 10-band equalizer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Foxx Clean Machine
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone
What about that string through RG- I think it's the RG321? Maybe look for a used one if it's too expensive new. Also, perhaps check out Agile/SX (www.rondomusic.net I think).

EDIT: I also don't think your dorm room is actually going to be as insecure as you think it is. I've never met somebody who had a problem with people stealing stuff.
Quote by bones5051
. I'm also planning on drilling a hole in the body somewhere, so I can lock it up with a bike lock or something.

Holy crap dude !! sounds like you guys are gonna have one hell of a time !

i would say , if you still want a really nice cheap guitar that sounds killer , go for stagg and replace all the hardware on it as you go .
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
Quote by t3mp
Holy crap dude!! sounds like you guys are gonna have one hell of a time!

Haha yeah man, it's going to be sweet. I'll post some pics along the way if it's brutal enough.

What do you all think about this?
Peavey 6505+
old Marshall 4x12
ISP decimator
MXR 10-band equalizer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Foxx Clean Machine
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone
Last edited by bones5051 at Jun 28, 2007,
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
my friend has one trust me, its more like a toy.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^Are you going to be bringing your 6505 to the dorm room too?

Nah, I think I'm going to just play through a little Cube or something for the sake of those around me that aren't metal fans. My roommate is the other guitarist in our band, though, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
Peavey 6505+
old Marshall 4x12
ISP decimator
MXR 10-band equalizer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Foxx Clean Machine
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone
^Okay, just wondering, because I doubt very many people would be happy with you if you were playing through that all day. And also because I'd be quite confused why you were concerned about your guitar but not your amp.

But still, I'm not so sure your room will be as insecure as you think. Also, apparently, you know your roommate already and he also plays guitar, so he knows how it goes with gear (meaning he'll lock the room, won't let people play your stuff, etc.). I wouldn't be too worried about bringing your Jackson with you, so long as you keep it cased when you're not playing it.

EDIT: Perhaps just get a case that has a lock (most of them do) and then whenever you're not playing it, lock the case, then use a bike chain lock to chain the case to your bed or something.
I like the idea of drilling a hole through it to chain it up haha

Yeah just go to a pawn shop or used guitar place and pick an old beater that you can just **** with. $50 should get you something reasonably playable.
Alright thanks for the advice, gibsonpenguin. My case does have a lock on it, so that may work. We'll see. I'd still like to buy a cheap guitar to sand, paint, and replace the electronics/hardware, just for the hell of it.
Peavey 6505+
old Marshall 4x12
ISP decimator
MXR 10-band equalizer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Foxx Clean Machine
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone
I say just grab one of the cheapest Jacksons you can buy, they're right around the $200 mark, and will still be a Jackson (albeit, cheap). The ultimate problem with Jackson really is the low end guitars, there just aren't any, LTD and Ibanez have waaay more guitars in that price range. Honestly, I'm in the same boat, I spent all this money on nice crap, and now I'm too scared to take it with me.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
corts are pretty versatile especially the g series. you can pick up a decent second hand one for about 200 on ebay.

+1, but after you get it you may be shocked at the quality and not want to let people touch it But, they are built very sturdy, I dropped mine on concrete and not a single scratch. Broke the plastic tip off the wammy bar though Also check out Epiphone Les Paul Juniors, I played one before and the neck seemed all right for a $100 guitar.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
what school are you going to? for wat its worth, i take all my guitar stuff to my dorm. never had any problems. most ppl walk by and see it next to my mini fridge and dk wtf it is so they just keep walking. hell, you can get your gear insured which might be cheaper than buying a new guitar haha. if your roommate is the other guitarist in your band then you wont have to worry about your roommate stealing your chit. just lock your door when you leave.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_squier_hello_kitty_stratocaster_electric_guitar?full_sku=512071%2e218

Imagine the stage presence you would have if you used that to gig with too!
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_squier_hello_kitty_stratocaster_electric_guitar?full_sku=512071%2e218

haha yes. why the hell has no one recommended that yet?
Peavey 6505+
old Marshall 4x12
ISP decimator
MXR 10-band equalizer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Foxx Clean Machine
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone
Quote by bones5051
haha yes. why the hell has no one recommended that yet?

Sadly, it's been done. But it's still a cool idea :-D
Quote by Hakael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtm7lV8RcI8

Really, I'd just look for a decent deal in local pawn shops. You can usually find a decent guitar for pretty cheap.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by Yngwi3
Meh to shredding Feel in the groove all the way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjF1fev4Cf8

Brilliant, ! Love the dude's playing, too!
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Last edited by MuffinMan at Jun 28, 2007,
I think this video shows CLEARLY:
Guitar < Amp

When looking for tone
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Yeah just go to a pawn shop or used guitar place and pick an old beater that you can just **** with. $50 should get you something reasonably playable.

I don't know about finding something for $50, but I'd definitely be hitting up the local Craig's List and pawn shops and seeing what comes my way. Rather than targeting a specific guitar, I'd be looking to jump on the best deal I could find.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.