Title speaks for itself im planning to build a guitar these forums have been a huge help in gathering information. Still I have some unanswered questions and concerns that have prompted me to post here. Im getting ready to order a body on the 30th and im stuck unable to decide on the tremolo setup recessed or non. I hear non-recessed can be a pain to maintain and make alternate tuning very tedious (this will be the first guitar ive ever owned with a trem system). I hear there are way to block a recessed trem (ie. evh used to use a quarter).

I dont plan on having blocked all the time so in a way I just feel going non-recessed ill be limiting my options later on. Second issue being pickups and routing. Pickups I was debating going hss but the look dosent appeal to me so ive opted for sss. I like the sounds of humbuckers however. Now I know no stacked single can produce a true hum sound but as close as possible is fine. I took a look at dimarzio pickups namely the chopper ( since i managed to find a video of it on youtub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adf0daS9JFw). It has part of the sound im looking for but as far as the neck and mid pickup I have no idea what to match up with it.

To help sound my music taste are vh, queen, mars volta, pink floyd. Hell anyway this post it getting too long and I've got work tommorow any advice would be much appreciated peace.
the link to the youtube video you posted doesn't work....

I don't have much knowledge on trem systems, so I can't really help you there, but as for the pickups, if you want a real humbucker sound but don't like the HSS look, you may as well go with an HSS set up for the sound you want at the expense of a little loss of good looking.... ness. That is, unless you like the sound of the chopper, then you should just go with that.For the other two pickups,maybe a dimarzio blue velvet or seymour duncan SSL-1 or 2?
if thought about hsh that may be a possibility in the future(which is one reason in particular that im ordering a top routed body so the change up is easy). However I find sss more aesthetically pleasing (ive gotta play it I may as well like how it looks). So im trying to simply get the best sound possible from a sss setup.

Pickups for this thing are the only thing im still debating there are a load of options ive gotta narrow down.
Quote by jinxdguitar
Title speaks for itself im planning to build a guitar these forums have been a huge help in gathering information. Still I have some unanswered questions and concerns that have prompted me to post here. Im getting ready to order a body on the 30th and im stuck unable to decide on the tremolo setup recessed or non. I hear non-recessed can be a pain to maintain and make alternate tuning very tedious (this will be the first guitar ive ever owned with a trem system). I hear there are way to block a recessed trem (ie. evh used to use a quarter).

I dont plan on having blocked all the time so in a way I just feel going non-recessed ill be limiting my options later on. Second issue being pickups and routing. Pickups I was debating going hss but the look dosent appeal to me so ive opted for sss. I like the sounds of humbuckers however. Now I know no stacked single can produce a true hum sound but as close as possible is fine. I took a look at dimarzio pickups namely the chopper ( since i managed to find a video of it on youtub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adf0daS9JFw). It has part of the sound im looking for but as far as the neck and mid pickup I have no idea what to match up with it.

To help sound my music taste are vh, queen, mars volta, pink floyd. Hell anyway this post it getting too long and I've got work tommorow any advice would be much appreciated peace.

Non-recessed trems are the ones that are easy to maintain, recessed ones are the ones which have issues with stability.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club