Hi

A friend of mine has a ibanez S120 with a Sat pro tremolo. A few days ago, he decided to change the strings. He replaced tha old strings with a heavier gauge, which was regular 010 - 046. The old strings had a lighter gauge.

Now, when he tuned the guitar, The tremolo floated very high compared to the old strings. So much so that the guitar was unplayable. So he called me for help and i told him to tighten the strings from under the guitar. He tightened them to the max without result.

Here is the current situation:

What can we do to make the tremolo float with the guitar again?
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
do you mean an SA120? If you change the springs from

III to  /I\
III    / I \
III   /  I  \

i.e. take the two outer springs and attach them to the 2 inner hooks. then you'll increase the tension further.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jun 28, 2007,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
do you mean an SA120? If you change the springs from

III to  /I\
III / I \
III / I \

i.e. take the two outer springs and attach them to the 2 inner hooks. then you'll increase the tension further.

which posistion is tightest?
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
see the way there's 5 hooks on the claw plate thing

and the springs are attached to the outer hooks and the middle one,

move the 2 outer springs to the inner 2 hooks

That probably won't make a huge difference to the amount of tension but it might just be enough for you. If that doesn't work go with madpickins suggestion and add a spring
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jun 28, 2007,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
see the way there's 5 hooks on the claw plate thing

and the springs are attached to the outer hooks and the middle one,

move the 2 outer springs to the inner 2 hooks

I tried this, but it didn't really make a difference.

And about adding a string to the tremolo.. Do I have to order the string from a Ibanez factory?
I thought Ibanez always made sure there was a plastic bag containing everything needed for the setup, including springs, accompanied with the guitar?

If not, then you should, indeed.
Quote by Y00p
I thought Ibanez always made sure there was a plastic bag containing everything needed for the setup, including springs, accompanied with the guitar?

If not, then you should, indeed.

Gues thats my only option yes.
Thanks for replying
once you tightened the springs did u try retuning?

coz tightening the springs means the strings will get tighter... therefore u will have to loosen the strings bringing the bridge lower
yeh i had the same problem.. i just got another spring for mine and it fixed it
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Yeah you really need to add another. My Strat was set up floating with the fan setup on 9's, and when I changed to 10s it was impossibly high, adding a spring calmed it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Dude just go off to the guitar shop and ask for tremolo springs.
Any will work.
Adding an extra spring is the only way to go