I've recently decided to make a fretless guitar just for fun, and I was wondering what sort of varnish or what I should put on the fingerboard, because it will take alot more abuse than a normal fingerboard I assume. Rosewood fingerboard.

Or would something like this be enough?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Finishes_and_solvents/1/ColorTone_Fretboard_Finishing_Oil/Details.html#details

Thanks in advance
Last edited by SpamTheBox at Jun 28, 2007,
ususally you dont put anything on rosewood fretboards except for maybe some lemon oil.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
you don't need anything, but if you're willing to spend a bit of money, look into getting a metal one CNC'd or cover the one you have in carbon fiber (google it, you'll find lots.) either of these'll increase sustain, which you'll want, trust me.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I'm pretty sure you need a epoxy coat on the fretboard, or the strings will eat away at it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^i'm pretty sure you don't.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Okay, I looked for that carbon-fiber fingerboard, but I couldn't find anything. And is the sustain on the strings drastically reduced, like pizzicato strings, or just a little reduced. Also, I'm a little short on cash, so I doubt I would be able to afford either options, unless either of these can be scrounged from construction sites or the like.

To be on the safe side, the lemon oil would just strengthen the wood to make it more water resistant? No other effects?
Quote by tubab0y
^i'm pretty sure you don't.

I've looked around and never seen a wood, uncoated fretless fingerboard on a bass. Can't see any reason why it would be different for guitar.

And lemon oil helps replace the woods natural protective oils, so it doesn't dry out.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
umm...i own a fretless guitar with a plain rosewood fretboard?

and carbon fiber is cheap- look at something like this:
http://www.shopmaninc.com/carbonpage.html
you'd only need about 6 inches and some epoxy.

and sustain is dramatically shortened on unwound strings, not so much on wound.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
and you should use flatwound strings, they wont do much damage to the fretboard
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
eh, i've been fine with roundwound. i'm too cheap to shell out for flatwound. you get better sustain with roundwound anyways.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Oh, so the treble strings have reduced sustain? Does that mean that strings with wound thirds would be the best? And I'll look into that carbon fiber thing, you've been alot of help, thanks guys.
well, if you listen to bumblefoot (which you should anyways if you play fretless) his guitar has a metal fingerboard- really, anything hard will counteract the lack of sustain. that's why carbon fiber is good.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Pretty sure I remember a respected member of this forum telling someone that fret wire will wear down much faster than a rosewood fretboard.