please dont laugh, but this is a serious question. ive been playing for about 1 and a half years now and i keep seeing this word "shred" on various different guitar sites. what does it mean? i see it so often that i feel i should know, but i dont.
It means to play the guitar really fast. A shredder = someone who can play really fast.
Member #5 of the Official Conan O'Brien Club; PM Tom Trendy to join
hahahahh
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Virtuoso like playing

shredders are the people who are just, well, very very good, to say the least.

The term is also used for the really fast style of playing found in like...well... different rock/metal genres.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by Kick Me
It means to play the guitar really fast. A shredder = someone who can play really fast.

i see, thanks for clearing that up. i felt a bit of a dick asking but its been bugging me for a while now, and if you dont ask you dont learn.
To play notes in rapid succession using various techniques
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
actually playing a reptive phrase or lick for 21 days moderatly slowly actually makes your muscle memory allow you to play it fast , its all about accuracy.
I just don't care for a lot of shred either. I mean it's alright every once in a while if used sparingly but Yngwie just takes the fun out of it. All he does is blaze up and down scales and arpeggios which gets incredibly boring after the first minute.

I really like a lot of Joe Satriani's music. He can play really fast as well but he doesn't flaunt it every chance he gets and instead forms more pleasing solos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdnKydffZQ

This one is a lesson on modes but after a little bit you can hear some good shred from Joe, much better than Yngwie imo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWHKeC4IEgA
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Jun 28, 2007,