I have been looking for a versatile guitar (anything from country to hard rock but not modern metal) with a price of around £400.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a new guitar in that price range or would I get a better instrument second hand.

The amp I am currently using is a Laney VC30 with a Zoom GFX5 in the effects loop.

If there is anything I have missed, ask me and I would be grateful for any help you can give.
Washburn x50 pro from GAK....£300.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
strat? a mexican one or lite ash or something similar. you can probs get a mexican reissue for that much too.
Member #29 of the Fender Armada. Pm Arlabester...
Co-Founder of the UG Hippie Club! PM me or Blynd_Snyper to join!

My Gear:
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Fender Blues Junior Amp
Korg Multi effects pedal
Peavey Millenium Bass
Peavey Bass Amp
a set up mexican strat with texas specials ftw!
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
I tried a MIM strat (satin) yesterday and I was not particularly impressed with it should I try a few more?
Remember I would be willing to go second hand.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Ibanez S470

Would that be worth looking into, everybody I speak to says the floyd rose would be too much bother unless I intend to use it lots which I probably wouldn't?

As for strats how about the stratocaster plus from the 90s with lace sensors?
I see the Schecter C-1 Classic recommended quite often but is it not more aimed at metal?
something HSS + Skill is all you need for versatility.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Quote by Made Of Metal
something HSS + Skill is all you need for versatility.

Assuming I have the skill is there any HSS guitars to look out for? Would an Ibanez SA be good? How about a HH guitar with five way switching?

Thanks for all the replies.
MIM Strat. SSS or HSS is up to you, HSS would offer more versatility, unless of course you throw in a stacked humbucker like one of the Seymour Duncan models.
I tried a MIM strat already and I wasn't impressed but do you think that was just a bad one?
Quote by no. 380059
I tried a MIM strat already and I wasn't impressed but do you think that was just a bad one?

Maybe. MIM strats seem to be pretty hit or miss. Of course, it could be that you just don't like the feel of a strat.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by auranos
Maybe. MIM strats seem to be pretty hit or miss. Of course, it could be that you just don't like the feel of a strat.

Maybe, but I'll try a few more. Do you think I could get an American Strat second hand for £400? Would it fell any different anyway?