Is it better to press down on the fifths with your third and fourth finger rather than barring the fifths? I've been using the barre technique for a year and someone I was talking to in Guitar Center told me its a bad habit.
I do it both ways for different songs. If I can I use my third and fourth finger (although I find it harder for faster songs, I want to be able to do it quick and good), but for songs that you have to chuck (such as Santa Monica and the like) I use bar it with my third finger so I can mute the strings easy.
I usually just bar it...sometimes I even bar it with my pinky
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
i've seen Satch, Petrucci etc barre it with their pinky, but i just use my index, ring and pinky.
i barre it with my index too it sounds fine soo i dont see why its a bad habit
Quote by FearTheD
i had sex with abraham lincolns dog at the last supper

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
KurtSlashJimi, you are the most metal man who has started a thread all night

R.I.P.(Rock In Peace)
Randy Rhoads & Dime Bag Darrel
I use 1-3-4. Please use the search bar. This subject came up several times a week at one point.
Quote by Dersharpy
Is it better to press down on the fifths with your third and fourth finger rather than barring the fifths? I've been using the barre technique for a year and someone I was talking to in Guitar Center told me its a bad habit.

i believe this issue is just one of preference, i usually dont barre things unless it is necessary, otherwise i use index, ring, and pinky usually
As a beginner I find it easier to do power chords with just one of myright or pinky fingers, rather than using both like you would in a bar chord, as a beginner I often hit the G string while I'm meant to only be strumming the top three, so it doesnt sound so bad if the lower strings are muted by my ring or pinky :P