Poll: Musical Prejudices?
Poll Options
View poll results: Musical Prejudices?
I have none and so you're wrong about everyone having at least one musical prejudice
37 26%
I don't want to say because it makes me sound a little elitist.
108 74%
Voters: 145.
Page 1 of 5
Everyone has them and everyone is an elitist in some kind of way. I have two prejudices and they're quite silly but I still stick by them. I only listen to music with instrumental focus. In other words, the artist must actually play an instrument. I can never really listen to an artist who doesn't play an instrument. It seems silly, I agree but it's just one of my prejudices. The other prejudice I have is that the music I listen too must have lyrical content that means something to me. The lyrics have to appeal to me. If a band has terrible lyrics it really bothers me.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

So you care more about instruments than vocals, but you care more about vocals than instruments?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
yes i have a ton.
1)Nothing against classic rock, but i hate when the classic rawk 14 year old kiddos act like it's the only good music in the known universe.
2) When people judge all of Hip Hop by the Hip-Pop they hear on MTV.
there's more but i don't wanna be an elitist

Quote by Muphin
So you care more about instruments than vocals, but you care more about vocals than instruments?

Should have made that clear. I mean to say, I need a band/artist who play solos and really focuses on playing their instruments.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Doolittle
yes i have a ton.
1)Nothing against classic rock, but i hate when the classic rawk 14 year old kiddos act like it's the only good music in the known universe.
2) When people judge all of Hip Hop by the Hip-Pop they hear on MTV.
there's more but i don't wanna be an elitist

I have to agree with you. Rap and hip hop on MTV is sickening. Its not that, its pop, and its terrible. Im not really a fan of rap, but I just listened to some underground stuff the other day with a friend and was impressed at the talent these guys posses.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I can't stand bands who put guitar solos in their songs just for the sake of having guitar solos.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
rap...

and that crappy emo/metal core **** like underoath.

i like some metal core, like unearth etc... but not that **** where the emo looking kid sits there and just screams like a girl...
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
Quote by drakenshadow
rap...

and that crappy emo/metal core **** like underoath.

i like some metal core, like unearth etc... but not that **** where the emo looking kid sits there and just screams like a girl...

Hey man. The old Underoath song "The day I left you" or whatever..that had some brutal vocals
i dont like listening to artists who dont play instruments UNLESS they are particularly awesome

and i refuse to listen to mcfly

thats prety much it
i approach most music with a certain degree of prejudice. some genres more than others. this means im pleasantly surprised when i hear something good.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
i dont like listening to artists who dont play instruments UNLESS they are particularly awesome

and i refuse to listen to mcfly

thats prety much it

The voice is an instrument.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
1) i dont like rap
2) i dont like country or southern rock
3) i dont like any kind of music that is just a drum machine and a fake bass with someone singing over it
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
I have prejudices, but it doesn't necessarily stop me from listening to music that falls under them. I kind of just listen to what makes me feel good, BUT there are certain things that will kind of add plus points to a song/artist: that is, writing their own lyrics, playing their own instruments, and not going out of their way to portray a certain image. Do I listen to music that doesn't fulfill the above? Absolutely. Frank Sinatra didn't write any of his own songs. Johnny Cash didn't write many of his songs either, and I'm practically in love with both those men.
Quote by zackk
1) i dont like rap
2) i dont like country or southern rock
3) i dont like any kind of music that is just a drum machine and a fake bass with someone singing over it

Try Brad Paisley [Country Guitar virtuso who also plays Jazz]. I never liked country until I heard that guy.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I somewhat dislike all bands that play with Dot inlays on their guitars. I know thats the dumbest reason ever, but Dot inlays piss me off.
Spastic Ink
Nope. I listen to any old crap.

EDIT^^: Dude, seriously, get the fuck over Brad Paisley.

EDIT2\/: Your sig means you fail life. Sorry.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
ive listened to him and he's a great guitar player... i completely forgot about him
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Quote by Schmietty
I somewhat dislike all bands that play with Dot inlays on their guitars. I know thats the dumbest reason ever, but Dot inlays piss me off.

There are so many guitars with dot inlays... I have three of them
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Schmietty

Rolf!1one
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I only listen to metal, classical and greek/bouzouki and finish folk. I know I should get in to more it's not that I am prejudice but nothing else interests me quite as much.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Quote by Muphin
There are so many guitars with dot inlays... I have three of them

I play one. They just annoys the crap out of me.
Spastic Ink
I tend to develop an immediate disliking towards any band whos name starts with "The". I always keep an open mind to their music, but can't help getting really bored of all of these "The" bands.
I hate anything where the singing/lyrics is the main focus. There are few exceptions.
Quote by Harmonius
Everyone has them and everyone is an elitist in some kind of way. I have two prejudices and they're quite silly but I still stick by them. I only listen to music with instrumental focus. In other words, the artist must actually play an instrument. I can never really listen to an artist who doesn't play an instrument. It seems silly, I agree but it's just one of my prejudices. The other prejudice I have is that the music I listen too must have lyrical content that means something to me. The lyrics have to appeal to me. If a band has terrible lyrics it really bothers me.

You don't like Mark Lanegan's solo stuff?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus

You sure post a lot for someone who's banned...
Quote by FrenchyFungus

I haven't heard much of his stuff so I can't really tell. I suppose there are exceptions.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I can't listen to anything that takes itself too seriously. I really can't describe it, there's just this vibe a lot of bands have that I can't stand. I also don't like my bands to be too talented. I think excessive instrumental virtuosity negates the spirit of rock and roll.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
I hate "solo" artists who have a band that write and records all the music in their songs and have other people write their lyrics for them and the "solo" artist is just the person who sings.

I don't like it when people don't write their own music in general.

And I hate all those Pop stars who go into music just because its another way to make money. Some bands have awesome passion for their music and work hard but are hardly known, yet these pop stars are world famous and their only doing it cos it helps their Image, even though they already have a TV show, been in a couple movies, are a model and have their own clothing line.
I can listen to anything except Dragonforce. I dunno why, but that band annoys the hell outta me. I think it's the lyrics.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Like Michael Jackson!

I don't really have any musical prejudices. I did though, I used to be anti-core (metalcore, deathcore, fashioncore) but then I got into some core bands and realized that it's not all bad.

I now have no prejudices.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
MCR. Fall Out Boy. P!OTD. I hate you! *cries* Look what you've done to me! (and the children!)
1) pop
2) bands/artists that use lyrics or a voice that doesnt seem to flow well with the music they are playing.
yup those are the two that i can think of that i cant stand
Quote by SlimSG
1) pop
2) bands/artists that use lyrics or a voice that doesnt seem to flow well with the music they are playing.
yup those are the two that i can think of that i cant stand

I used to hate all forms of pop but I don't mind pop now - of course if a primary instrument is involved. Most people say they hate pop but most don't even know what the terms really means. John Mayer, for example has many pop tunes but he's an exceptionally gifted musician.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
I clicked on this thread expecting to see that you were trolling for a flamefest. Trying to get people to bash each others genres.
I was wrong!

Even your poll choices are excellent in terms of tolerance.

Marry me ............ Now!

BTW, I try to listen to a little of everything, and stay with the stuff I like. The stuff that doesn't speak to me, I figure that's just my own business. I do remark on poor performances in genres that I do enjoy. That way I have something intelligent to add rather than just saying something is rubbish.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Page 1 of 5