Page 1 of 2
Sooo they've been around for quite a while, but haven't released a CD on a major label until early last year. Great band IMO, very original. Kinda took me a while to "get" the band, but wow... they are pretty awesome. Also an interesting writing style, they write all the instrument parts separately, sometimes playing off key, out of tempo on purpose.

Anyone else a fan?
Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown,
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time,
Watching her, these things she said,
The times she cried,
Too frail to wake this time.
They are pretty cool. Quite interesting music a lot of the time, which makes for a good listen.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by zakattak_
yeah i love them. they seem to have dissapeared..

Yeah, they stopped touring cuz they are writing new stuff... been writing for a couple months at least now, hopefully a CD before the end of the year?
The times she cried,
I liked them initially; I've seen them 6 or 7 times, mostly by accident. They are fun live but I found they got less and less enjoyable each time I saw them.
Shame They Took Their Name From A Cap'n Jazz Song, Cap'n Jazz > We Are Scientists. [/ha,mmered]
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Meh, I care not where bands get their names.

I really like these, particularly Can't Lose, Worth The Wait and Lousy Reputation. I saw that they did some random B-sides compilation last year (or so it seemed) which looked like a very odd move considering they've only had the one album release that I knew of.

Either way, I got a lot of time for them. They should play Rote Fabrik, soon.
Quote by YourLastAffront
Shame They Took Their Name From A Cap'n Jazz Song, Cap'n Jazz > We Are Scientists. [/ha,mmered]

+1234
Quote by tezhall
Meh, I care not where bands get their names.

I really like these, particularly Can't Lose, Worth The Wait and Lousy Reputation. I saw that they did some random B-sides compilation last year (or so it seemed) which looked like a very odd move considering they've only had the one album release that I knew of.

Either way, I got a lot of time for them. They should play Rote Fabrik, soon.

Yeah that was weird, a bunch of stuff on that compilation wasn't even theirs.
The times she cried,
I love we are scientists. with love and squalor is an amazing album. and they are incredibly funny guys.
and crap attack included a cd with b-sides remixes and rarities ( which are acoustic versions and covers)all the songs on crap attack are done by them though, apart from the remixes, but the best thing about crap attack was the dvd, with videos for all their songs of with love and squalor and a whole live show, although i have a feeling this was only in the uk edition.
Quote by YourLastAffront

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_Scientists

It says on Wiki that they actually got their name from a conversation with a U-Haul man.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
yeah, an awesome band. with love and squalor is a great album. the great escape always gets me going.
i really love these guys. they're great. i would love to see them live but they don't really tour the US much. and the frontman is so goddamn sexy. tis a shame that most of their stuff are 'imported' though because it costs like a bitch.
one of my faviroute bands, with love and squalor was amazing and so was crap attack, irritatingly i tried to get tickets for the Sheperds Bush Empire show which would appear on the DVD of Crap attack, i'm gutted i didn't see that show

www.myspace.com/wearescientists <----they have regular updates on the blog of how the new album's coming along
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
Quote by YourLastAffront

They got their name from a conversation...
And Cap'n Jazz<We Are Scientists.

Crap Attack wasn't all that great... But overall awesome band.
Love is watching
Someone die.
Quote by Ghost_Knive
They got their name from a conversation...
And Cap'n Jazz<We Are Scientists.

Crap Attack wasn't all that great... But overall awesome band.

They got their name from a caP'n Jazz song, and tried to pass it off as something else to appear dark and interesting. Don't talk that shit, We Are Scientists suck, caP'n Jazz are awesome.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Man o man... go to wearescientists.com
and wikipedia.

look, every band name is probably in some song somewhere.
HECK Death Cab for Cutie is off of a song.

The point is, it is not off a Cap'n Jazz song, just because you decided it was.
Love is watching
Someone die.
It's not because I decided it was, it's because it IS. Their website is straight from the horses mouth, and their Wikipedia entry will be edited by their fans, they're just spreading this story when really the name is from the caP'n Jazz song.

I'm not going to debate anything more about a band I detest with a moron like yourself who clearly knows very little about what he preaches.
Last edited by YourLastAffront at Aug 18, 2007,
It's not because I decided it was, it's because it IS.

Wow! You know the band quite well, I am glad you have such amazing information.
I'm not saying this because I hate you, or Cap'n Jazz, but the thing is I believe the members of the band, more then you.

Nothing personal, don't get so uptight man!
Love is watching
Someone die.
I really like the We Are Scientists song Lousy Reputation. When I first heard it I didn't like it, but it's really grown on me. If I really enjoy this song, what others will I enjoy?
Hard to say, I think you would like the whole With Love and Squalor CD.
I would predict your favorites to be:
It's a Hit
Cash Cow
and Inaction.
But I really think you would like the CD.
Love is watching
Someone die.
Quote by YourLastAffront
It's not because I decided it was, it's because it IS. Their website is straight from the horses mouth, and their Wikipedia entry will be edited by their fans, they're just spreading this story when really the name is from the caP'n Jazz song.

I'm not going to debate anything more about a band I detest with a moron like yourself who clearly knows very little about what he preaches.

Well, before I say anything else, I'd just like to point out that the name of a band has absolutely nothing to do with their music and u shouldn't let a name effect ur perception of, once again, their music.
With that said, Cap'n Jazz, never heard of them. Obviously, IF the band was named after something from their song, the guys from We Are Scientists must be fans. To my best knowledge, when a new band gets their name from a song by one of their influences, they tend to acknowledge it. You know, the whole tribute thing... So I think that it'd be stupid to assume that WAS would actually lie to their fans about the origin of their name just to what... get some publicity? C'mon, their story isn't even that great. If you're gonna lie about how ur band name came to be, well, they could've probably thought of a better story.
Bottom line, I don't think they lied, and a reference to the Cap'n Jazz song is a coincidence. But think whatever you want, and uhh... go find urself a Cap'n Jazz thread to endlessly rant in.
The times she cried,
Quote by shamu1001
Well, before I say anything else, I'd just like to point out that the name of a band has absolutely nothing to do with their music and u shouldn't let a name effect ur perception of, once again, their music.
With that said, Cap'n Jazz, never heard of them. Obviously, IF the band was named after something from their song, the guys from We Are Scientists must be fans. To my best knowledge, when a new band gets their name from a song by one of their influences, they tend to acknowledge it. You know, the whole tribute thing... So I think that it'd be stupid to assume that WAS would actually lie to their fans about the origin of their name just to what... get some publicity? C'mon, their story isn't even that great. If you're gonna lie about how ur band name came to be, well, they could've probably thought of a better story.
Bottom line, I don't think they lied, and a reference to the Cap'n Jazz song is a coincidence. But think whatever you want, and uhh... go find urself a Cap'n Jazz thread to endlessly rant in.

I didn't say their name affected my perception of the band, I hated them regardless of the reference because their music is boring shit.
You thought Love and Squalor was boring or Crap Attack?
I thought Crap Attack was kind of boring, but Love and Squalor I didn't find to be that way...
Love is watching
Someone die.
I found Love and Squalor to be boring, haven't hear Crap Attack.

I might, my perception of a band is affected by how they name their cds. Crap attack is a cool name.
Last edited by julio1987 at Aug 19, 2007,
Quote by YourLastAffront

Ah, but at least We Are Scientists > Scary Kids Scaring Kids

I like WAS. With Love and Squalor is good, highlights inclube (for me)

This Scene is Dead, Inaction, Can't Lose, Great Escape, Lousy Reputation and Worth the Wait.

I remember it's one of the only times I've read a review and seen something given no stars though, that was in one of the papers over here.
Wow, thats weird... WAS are very unique, I have never heard of someone not liking them.
0 stars is insane though, if you don't like something fine, but geez.
Love is watching
Someone die.
Yeah. It was only a short review in with a couple of others. They basically dismissed it as copying what had gone before, you know, New York dancey rock.
Quote by Abe
Ah, but at least We Are Scientists > Scary Kids Scaring Kids
This is true.
hmm I will agree, but I do like Scary Kids Scaring Kids.
Love is watching
Someone die.
I saw these guys do a Q&A session at Reading Festival this year, and I gotta say they were absolutely hilarious. When I first walked in I just assumed that they were professional comedians, and only when people started asking them questions about the band did I realise who they were. Top marks for being sound, funny guys.

Oh yea, and they're music is pretty good too.

As for that YourLastAffront guy, do us all a favour and fuck off, take your **** somewhere else. They got their name because they look like geeks - get over it.
Quote by Tom Martin

As for that YourLastAffront guy, do us all a favour and fuck off, take your **** somewhere else. They got their name because they look like geeks - get over it.

They owe their name to caP'n Jazz.
Then Cap'n Jazz owes their name to the military and New Orleans, were the words originated.
Love is watching
Someone die.
Page 1 of 2