Should I purchase one of these. I have heard mixed reviews about em. I want to put it on my GSR100 Bass.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
its something that doesnt affect your overall sound at all... if you feel well playing with one, why shouldnt you go for it?...
Well actually I think it would affect you're overall sound Desolation because if you're playing in a different way than before your tone wil change due to plucking higher or lower than you previously were.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
yeh jonno is right it would change the way you attack the strings which will in turn change the sound
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yea but is it comfortable to play with one and can how would you go about attaching it to the Bass itself.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
Yes, even the smallest angle will result in a slight change in tone. This is very important as a bassist, as you need to get the perfect tone.

I say go for the thumbrest if you want to have more opportunity to shape your tone.
signature
Unless you already rest your thumb on the body, it's going to change the way you play. As for how to attach them, they're usually screwed in but I've heard of some that stick to the body.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Bullet-Rule
Yes, even the smallest angle will result in a slight change in tone. This is very important as a bassist, as you need to get the perfect tone.

I say go for the thumbrest if you want to have more opportunity to shape your tone.

+1, And if you are finding it more comfortable get it.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
yes, i know it will change the position, and there for the place on the bass where you pluck the strings, but you can obviously still play in other spots on the bass if you have it, i meant, it doesnt change the natural tonality of the instrument...
Last edited by DesolationRow0 at Jun 28, 2007,
Quote by DesolationRow0
yes, i know it will change the position, and there for the place on the bass where you pluck the strings, but you can also play in other spots on the bass if you have it, i meant, it doesnt change the natural tonality of the instrument...

Yes, i agree with that.

I don't think buying and installing a thumb rest would effect your playing much, but if you're happy to get one it may be more comfortable for you to use.
signature
you should be sure you want one before you buy it though, cose you could get it and afterwards find it gets in the way of your playing...
My silvertone has a thumbrest and I rarely use it. They can be hard to get in to if you have never used one before just because you feel more comfortable resting your hand on whatever you rested it on prior to buying it.

But its worth a try, there cheap.
Quote by aixelsydevahi
Unless you already rest your thumb on the body, it's going to change the way you play. As for how to attach them, they're usually screwed in but I've heard of some that stick to the body.

thumbrests are for fingers while playing with your thumb
Quote by El Penguino

Yeah that's why it's above the strings.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by El Penguino

You're talking about thumbrests that are on the bottom. He's talking about thumbrests above the strings.

As for resting on the pickups, my guess is that he prefers to play in an area where there isn't a pickup therefore it would be preferable to have a thumbrest. Just like how some people prefer to play more towards the bridge while others more towards the neck.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by DesolationRow0
you should be sure you want one before you buy it though, cose you could get it and afterwards find it gets in the way of your playing...

Not really. I have two basses, one with a thumb rest and the other without.

It will change your playing angle to use one, but if you have one and don't use it, using the pups or float to the E string instead, its not going to get in your way.

Some people like them for the retro look, once I mod my bass, mines going away permanently. I find using one limiting and tend to not use it at all. But its all personal preference.
I looked in every shop in Denmark street at tottenam court road and not one of the 10 shops i went in had one!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Ranxston
You're talking about thumbrests that are on the bottom. He's talking about thumbrests above the strings.

"Thumbrests that are on the bottom" are called grab bars.
If your thumbrest doesn't come with a center screw, try to drill a center hole yourself. Then you can experiment with different angles before attaching it.
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
Last edited by Chromemoly at Jun 29, 2007,