I need an overdrive pedal for my Marshall JCM 900 combo. It never has had enough gain, and I figured if I got an overdrive, like a Boss SD-1 or a Tubescreamer, that I could get like a Zakk Wylde-ish tone, or at least close to it. I want it thick and chunky, and get screaming squeals, and really nice sounding lead tones. So would an SD-1 or Tubescreamer do that for me? Or just I just sell it all together and invest in a Peavey 5150??
..::RIP::..
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Well, a JCM900 will get you closer to xakk than a 5150 will. Go for a TS and try it. If not, try a 5150, and see if it can do the job.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
if you want to save some cash, the SD-1 will probably suit you better than a tubescreamer. Its a bit more transparent IMO, and that will probably help you if you're using humbuckers and a marshall, its going to be a bit midrangy as it is. I'd look at a Boss Blues Driver as well in the under 100$ range. A fulltone OCD would be PERFECT if you are willing to part with $150.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
I especially like the tone on Road To Nowhere and Time After Time, stuff like that, pretty much the No More Tears era, Zakk Wylde around 1988 and 1989. Zakk used a JCM 800 and a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, and that was the only thing that altered his distortion, the rest was like effects, like wah's and stuff. And my JCM 900 is a model up, and is supposed to have more distortion than the 800 i think, so if I got a overdrive, I should be able to get a pretty heavy Ozzy sound, right????
..::RIP::..
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
tubescreamer 100%. I regret not saving up for one. The TS tightens up the tone more nicely than the sd1, and is more transparent and less fizzy.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Tubescreamer (TS808 is supposedly really transparent) or the Maxon 808 (cheaper than the tubescreamer, but apparently the same thing)
How the **** are TS's transparent?! They're rather middy.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well, Zakk used to use an SD-1 before he got his own signature pedal. Either way, the Tubescreamer and SD-1 are near identical with a few component changes.
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
Quote by aznrockerdude

+1. but they still have the tight responsive sound.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by aznrockerdude

The TS is more transparent than the SD1. The SD1 gets really fizzy and sounds solid state-y when you turn the drive knob up too much. Mids can be avoided by turning down the tone knob on the pedal. The TS also tightens up the tone better than the SD1.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix