so i went to guitar center to look around today and saw this

The Guitar

its an epi sg but its like blue...i saw it and i was like "Th3 OmG iz tH3 bLOo 3sG"

only delimma is are they any good for metal like melodic death and slayer/metallica stuff?
Setup
Epi. X-Plorer
Line6 Spider III 120
Boss Phase Shifter
Boss Blues Driver
fbv2 Footswich
that guitar makes me cream so hard

i love sgs

blue sgs

its like sex with jessica alba

so rare for a normal person to play

www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
SG's are great for metal, and if you cant shred on one then you can't play

That's an interesting finish....When I first saw it, it looked girly to me....But now it looks kinda badass
Black, Chrome, Blue, looks cool.
Quote by chrschri

The Guitar

its an epi sg but its like blue...i saw it and i was like "Th3 OmG iz tH3 bLOo 3sG"

only delimma is are they any good for metal like melodic death and slayer/metallica stuff?

As far as a low end guitar goes, it's pretty good. I can't imagine why a bright blue SG would cost so much less than a normal color like red or black...

First of all, Metallica isn't melodic death metal. Neither is Slayer. They're both thrash.

Now that that's through with, and I know I'm gonna get flamed to ****, but...

No. It's not gonna be amazing for anything. It'll play what you want on it, but unless you're willing to spend a bit more on a guitar, you're not going to get very much out of it.

It will play your music on it, but don't expect to get Hammett tone out of it instantly with no work involved. There's more to it than that, but it has humbuckers, you'll be fine.
Yeah Seconded Heartbreaker.

I got a Red Epi SG, and Metal is practically all I play and it sounds orgasmical.
Quote by -heartbreaker-
SG's are great for metal, and if you cant shred on one then you can't play

Who made you King of SG's? Clapton doesn't shred, and he played excellently with Cream on one.

Dude, forget him. It's a good guitar. Go ahead.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
the sg-400 is a nice intermediate guitar. seems like a little less than an upgrade looking at ur gear.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have a red Epi G-400 and it is pretty good for metal but I would but a different pickup in the bridge.
My Stuff:
ESP LTD MH-400 (pic's here)
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Quote by aleister
As far as a low end guitar goes, it's pretty good. I can't imagine why a bright blue SG would cost so much less than a normal color like red or black...

First of all, Metallica isn't melodic death metal. Neither is Slayer. They're both thrash.

Now that that's through with, and I know I'm gonna get flamed to ****, but...

No. It's not gonna be amazing for anything. It'll play what you want on it, but unless you're willing to spend a bit more on a guitar, you're not going to get very much out of it.

It will play your music on it, but don't expect to get Hammett tone out of it instantly with no work involved. There's more to it than that, but it has humbuckers, you'll be fine.

Fool. Anyhow, you are right about it not being amazing for anything. It will be decent, and maybe a bit more, but not amazing. As long as you're running it through a good amp, you shouldn't really notice the difference though.
Be cool.
Aleister, I disagree. (Not with your Metallica/Slayer Definition)

With not much work (by that I mean a Marshall MG Series 30DFX) I can get my SG to pump out a massive range of tones, and bloody good sounding ones at that.

With a decent amp this guitar will last you ages.
Personally I hate SG's and the color makes me want to gouge my eyes out with raw carrots...

Apart from that it makes good firewood.

Though I am probably being over harsh, I'm sure lots of other people would love this, in that color, Just I am not one of them.
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Quote by WolfenGuitarist
With not much work (by that I mean a Marshall MG Series 30DFX) I can get my SG to pump out a massive range of tones, and bloody good sounding ones at that.

it's a low end guitar. he has intermediate gear.

people, look at his sig. why are u telling him to fill his closet with starter gear.

and why would a good amp have anything to do with how long a guitar lasts.
are u guys all new here or what?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by cashewchaching
Who made you King of SG's? Clapton doesn't shred, and he played excellently with Cream on one.

Clapton played an ES-335, jackass. He never played an SG with Cream.

Quote by WolfenGuitarist

Somebody tell me I'm not the only one who LOL'd when this guy said he gets good tone out of a Marshall MG?
Quote by WolfenGuitarist

So let me get this straight, you are calling a Marshall MG a decent amp that he can get a broad range of tones from? Well, every person is entitled to his/her own opinion. But I have tried a G-400 through a MG50DFX and....

Be cool.
Quote by jj1565

people, look at his sig. why are u telling him to fill his closet with starter gear.

You actually do have a pretty good point.

For around the same amount of money, you could get an ESP/LTD Viper 400FM. Very pretty guitar, very good for metal, not so much of a starter axe. And they look slightly edgier too
Quote by cashewchaching

NO NO NO!

I meant if you cant manage to play fast on an SG neck and need some Ibanez Widard II neck to shred you should go waste your money on some other guitar.

I'm not saying if you don't use an SG to shred then you shouldn't play....I'm not even a shredder, but seriosuly, If someone can't play something fast on this type of neck they can't be that good.

EDIT: ^ Clapton DID play an SG in Cream, what are you smoking?
Last edited by -heartbreaker- at Jun 28, 2007,
I played one, and an then played an Gibson SG standard. I can't play the G-400 after playing an SG standard. Look elsewhere IMO
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Quote by jj1565

Sorry if I am interrupting, but where the heck did your Ultimate Q and A thread go? Every time I search it comes up with nothing. I need to know how to properly adjust the bridge on one of my guitars.
Be cool.
DAMN!
that sg is gorgeous
i love the sg body
but i hate sg necks though
they feel too fat
founder/leader of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club
pm me if you would like to join

--my gear--
squier '51 (flipped for left handed)
cheap no name 15w amp
Quote by rubenroxyoursox
DAMN!
that sg is gorgeous
i love the sg body
but i hate sg necks though
they feel too fat

Yes, IMO it has the fattest neck on any guitar I've ever played.
My Stuff:
ESP LTD MH-400 (pic's here)
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Quote by thedude051
Sorry if I am interrupting, but where the heck did your Ultimate Q and A thread go? Every time I search it comes up with nothing. I need to know how to properly adjust the bridge on one of my guitars.

sorry, i forget to bump it sometimes. ill bump it and u can add ur question...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

awesome colour
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
Quote by inignought
prs se custom pay $500 for a $2000 guitar

Or $500 for a $500 dollar guitar. They're good for the money but nothing special.

Quote by inignought
what the f*!k does "Th3 OmG iz tH3 bLOo 3sG" mean

Something along the lines of:

"Wow, a blue SG. I feel a strong sense of admiration and desire for said guitar"
i have a strong desire to report this thread. flamewar, anyone?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by mad4metal
Yes, IMO it has the fattest neck on any guitar I've ever played.

durh play a tele man they have thick ass necks.
My guitar teacher has one and BAM it's huge. That might have something to do with it being a custom though.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by chrschri

Quote by aleister

Yeah, he never claimed that Slayer or Metallica were melodic death metal bands. Don't attack people without reading their posts first.
The lot of the people posting on this thread are morons.

Personally I have not played a G-400 but I heard that it's a decent guitar for the money, if slightly less solid feeling than the SG Standard.

Secondly, Metallica and Slayer I would say by common consensus are thrash. Maybe I'm wrong, but since genres are, by definition, subjective, and that's what the majority would agree, then that's that. They certainly aren't melodic death, but then again as the above poster said the topic starter used the word "AND" instead of "SUCH AS."

Thirdly, according to the reasonably usually-accurate Wikipedia, which in this case has a reference (page is here):

Early during his stint in Cream, his treasured 1960 Les Paul Standard was stolen, although Clapton continued to play Gibson guitars with Cream and Blind Faith including Les Paul models, a Gibson Firebird and a Gibson ES-335, but his most famous guitar in this period was a 1964 Gibson SG. The guitar was noted for its remarkable, psychedelic appearance. In early 1967, just before their first US promotional tour, Clapton's SG, Bruce's Fender VI and Baker's drum head were repainted in eye-popping psychedelic designs created by the visual art collective known as The Fool.

So whatever noob said Clapton didn't play an SG can shut the hell up as well.

With regards to the shred sentiment, SG's have smaller bodies than Les Pauls and they therefore have a more trebly tone, as evidenced by this video. So one might argue that it's more suited to lead work than the Les Paul, but that also depends on what kinda tone you want. Buck Dharma of BOC used a White SG for the first half of his career and he got some pretty diverse tones out of it, but he was mostly known for his high-pitched wailing solos. Tom Scholz and Barry Goudreau of Boston used a Les Paul with P90s in it to achieve a rich lead tone on the majority of their songs.

Jesus, I'm not even that good of a player but damn at least I know my useless trivia XD.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by aleister
Clapton played an ES-335, jackass. He never played an SG with Cream.

ever heard of "the fool"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton#Clapton.27s_guitars

also, i agree with what jj1565 is saying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think this one is much more appealing, I might take a look at it next time I go to the guitar store, you guys think this is any better?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
i actually like G-400's...a lot....i think that one in your last post is awesome (although the only difference is the pickguard), i think you'd be happy either way with a pickup swap, cause i just don't think they're up to what you want them to play
Quote by cashewchaching

No, no, I'm pretty sure he's talking about how some people (falsely) believe it's really hard to shred on Gibson necks, not that if you can't shred you suck.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Whow, I really love that color!!! Nice indeed-
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/