What is your guys/girls favorite mode to play/write in?
I like the Mixolydian currently.
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
Lydian for life!
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
phrygian, dorian, and lydian are kewl... just got into the lydian.... harmonic minor is fun.. but i dont think that counts
Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin corpse

Phrygian and Locrian natural 6 for dark sounding stuff.

Mixolydian for and Lydian for happy sounding stuff.

But my all time favorite: Mixolydian b6. I love the scale so much!
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Aeolian.

I think it's often thought of as a shreddy kind of mode because metalheads love it so much but its melodic qualities are great. It sounds very dark but very beautiful, too.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
I too enjoy the search mode. (Dorian with a raised 2nd and 5th)

It really doesn't sound that great.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
legendary.

ohhhh hahaha, got it, music..

phyrigian dominant ftw, either that or locrian 2
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad

phyrigian dominant ftw, either that or locrian 2

Locrian natural 6 > Locrian natural 2.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Largely mixolydian and ionian. I've drifted away from minor modes recently; though when I do use them, I generally use dorian, or very rarely aeolian with several alterations.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Im a huge fan on the Ionian...

But ya, aeolian is another favorite, along with mixolydian.

Im a boring person.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
phrygian and dorian, like that sad jazzy dorian sound, and i like the phrygian because it is so tense and just has so much aggression, but all of them are good provided used properly
Ionian and Aeolian are both indescribably beautiful.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Locrian's always fun, although its a little hard to make something good, that is with using the fifth.
By far, aeolian, ionian are the easiest to use
Not been applying theory that much but aeolian is nice for me, both improv and for chord patterns. G Aeolian ftw
I love the 5th mode of Harmonic Minor (usually in the key of D) a.k.a. jewish scale. This leap from minor second to major third is fantastic, gives me the feeling of being back to Israel .
lol, my favorite mode is the one that accurately portrays what i want musically..... i guess thats prolly kinda cliche though huh?
Dorian FTW! It sounds so proper.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I'm quite partial to Mixolydian, but one can't forget Lydian. Oh, Dorian and Phrygian make me shiver. I also don't mind Locrian. Then there's the old standbys Ionian and Aeolian that make great music everytime. They all have something different so there all my favourites. HOORAY!
Quote by damien guitar
dorian #4 (#11)

I love that scale because it allows for a minor triad and a diminished triad. Awesome.
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
I love that scale because it allows for a minor triad and a diminished triad. Awesome.

Here we go again Danny, making up crazy **** to sound smart...
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Here we go again Danny, making up crazy **** to sound smart...

I'm not making it up.

1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7. Diminished and minor can be fitted in there.
I mean, you could always argue me about the enharmonic (#4/b5) and how the function isn't 100% correct and stuff, but it still could work.

Don't be jealous Justin.

edit: How is that "crazy ****"? It's pretty basic to me.
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
I'm not making it up.

1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7. Diminished and minor can be fitted in there.
I mean, you could always argue me about the enharmonic (#4/b5) and how the function isn't 100% correct and stuff, but it still could work.

Don't be jealous Justin.

edit: How is that "crazy ****"? It's pretty basic to me.

No I get all that stuff bro. Just the first time I read your post it sounded like you were going all music theory on my ass

But ya, its actually a half diminished chord if you are using the 7th note is it not???

EDIT: Nevermind, you have the 6 in there as well, I am a dumbass. Ill go back to my singing.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Last edited by justin_fraser at Jun 29, 2007,
Quote by justin_fraser

But ya, its actually a half diminished chord if you are using the 7th note is it not???

Yeah. I was talking triads though. It could be a Half dim. since the b7. Or a dim. 7th (6)But people could always argue about the whole enharmonic thing that I mentioned earlier.
DANNY

Ya, I always forget that the double flat 7 is also a 6.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
^ it's good to know i'm not alone on that one..... half the time its the dynamics and a hundred other things that matter as much as the notes being used.
phrigian dominant is cool to just jam on an acoustic doin all spanishy shit n that
Quote by bluesrocker101
Locrian natural 6 > Locrian natural 2.

Blasphemy.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.