this may sound really stupid to some people but..... I want to create a metal band when i grow up. I'm in one already, but my parents don't think persuing a career in music is a good idea. They want me to stop playing in the band I'm in and start focusing on school.
Any way u guys can help me convince my parents to let me do this?
Is it possible to start focusing on school and continue to play in a metal band at the same time?
Chances are, you're an idiot. Your parents know this so they try to make you get good grades so you have at least a small chance for getting manager of McDonalds and not burger flipper. A career in music (especially heavy metal) is so completely far fetched you have to be retarded to think you can do it without some prior job.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
dude...i can semi-relate. Ive been playing for 8 years and my mom still treats metal music like its just a phase that Ill grow out of. BTW its possible to play in a band AND do well in school. Just make good grades and Im sure theyll see.
Member #2 of the "Eggnog > Humanity" club
^^Pm Scourge441 to join

PM MackDaddy or RhinosaurBones to join the Mortal Kombat Klub. That's right, Klub with a K.

Quote by happytimeharry
wow, is that backgammon? Now that's what I call fore play...
drop out, thats what i did
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
I half way agree with your parents.

I say, be in an awesome band, make it a college band, and stay in school.

Then, when you have a major to fall back on, try and make the band bigger and whatnot.

And, if the band doesn't work out, you can at least be assured you have an education to fall back on.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
playing in a band at highschool level really isn't very time consuming. You can't survive playing off Metal band, there's a handful that do, but an ocean full of people who can't.
I do ok in school.... they probably think i'm gonna drop out and be dirt poor when i grow up or something like that. I'm not thinking about majoring in music, i'm gonnna major in medicine or something but i still want to get big with my band. Anyways thanks for the help guys.
Quote by i have to pee
Chances are, you're an idiot. Your parents know this so they try to make you get good grades so you have at least a small chance for getting manager of McDonalds and not burger flipper. A career in music (especially heavy metal) is so completely far fetched you have to be retarded to think you can do it without some prior job.

That was so brutal. I you.
Quote by enterWittyName
I do ok in school.... they probably think i'm gonna drop out and be dirt poor when i grow up or something like that. I'm not thinking about majoring in music, i'm gonnna major in medicine or something but i still want to get big with my band. Anyways thanks for the help guys.

No you don't.

People look at music as some big scary deal...point is music is one of the most stable industries. It's been around for centuries.

Do you want to be a doctor? No? Then don't get a degree in ****ing medicine!

If you want to be a lawyer, do you get a degree in nutrition to "fall back on" if being a lawyer doesn't work out? No...

If you REALLY want it and I mean REALLY want it, then you have to go for it 120%

If you don't...odds are, it will never happen. You can't just expect success to fall out of the sky, hit you on the head, knock you out, wait around a bit for you to wake up so you can grab it.

If you're not willing to go all out, and do whatever it takes. You don't want it. Period.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
OMGZ I''M SO DWONTRODDEN!!! WHY WONT NE ONE LISTENZ TO MEE!!??

I TYEP IN CAPITUHLZ SO PPL WULD LISEN TO ME! BECUZ WHEN I TALK ABOUT IT TO MY PARENTS IN LOWER CASE DEY DONT LISEN TO ME!!!

Yea, as has been said, music will not get you far. Even some of your favourite bands (assuming you've explored all the big genres) that you may think are well off after 10 albums or just because of the success they seem to be having are well off, are not necessarily raking it in. You have to have a vision, meaning that you see yourself doing this well. Subpar in music will not get you anywhere. You have to be at least somewhat original, skilled in your instrument, be able to write very well (not just for your instrument too, can't always rely on every member of your band to write their part - you're not Dream Theater, and even then, DT has main composers). You have to agree to take it on like it's a business you're running yourself. In the beginning, to tour and promote your album is going to be a hell of a lot of hard work, that will not pay off unless you have the next classic under your belt. And, chances are, whatever you have in the works is not revolutionary. You will have to pay to play instead of the opposite most likely. It will be dissapointing. But...if you love doing it, and most importantly, you are good, and people acknowledge you are AMAZIING!!?? omgZz1!!!!! at it, then by all means go for it, but be prepared to take a lot of responsibility for this sort of thing and stay strong. Keep it in perspective. There are a lot of people who would love to be in the music industry, but not everyone is cut out for it.
I've found Jesus
x2.

TS, are you like, eight?

I WANA B DA NEXT HAMIT!!! ZOMG BUT PARINTS WONT LET M3 DROP OWT OV ELAMINTRY SKOOL!!

GOTTA TAKE DA POWA BAK JUSTIS FO ALLLLL
Quote by <><
x2.

TS, are you like, eight?

I WANA B DA NEXT HAMIT!!! ZOMG BUT PARINTS WONT LET M3 DROP OWT OV ELAMINTRY SKOOL!!

GOTTA TAKE DA POWA BAK JUSTIS FO ALLLLL

+1
Face reality dude. A career in music (especially metal) is nearly impossible nowadays. Focus on studying. You shouldnt quit, but studying should of bigger importance.