hey guys. this may seem like a noob question but it is a frequently occuring one, so here goes: i listen to thrash,death,technical death,trance and good 'ol regular metal and i was wondering how to hear the bass and the specific notes hit in the songs i listen to. ive tried the basics: pulling my hair back and getting real close to the speakers,cleaning my ears,and adjusting the equalizer in itunes ad wmp. are my ears just messsed up from over exposure to loud noises or does it come with experience?
expierence, as you play the bass longer and listen 4 bass lines longer you will begin to pick them out, it is hard tho, 'cause normally bands will meld the bass in with the guitar so you can barely hear it
i dont play bass but my brother does.
one thing he said helps him is turning on the treble booster on itunes.

click on any song, right click it and select get info. select the options tab. under equalizer preset, choose treble booster.

hopefully that helps.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Get a decent pair of headphones. My Beyerdynamic DT770's do wonders for hearing all the subtleties in music (including bass )
Get a speaker system with subwoofers. Turn bass all the way up on iTunes and on the speakers. Sit next to the subwoofer.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Quote by doomed1
expierence, as you play the bass longer and listen 4 bass lines longer you will begin to pick them out, it is hard tho, 'cause normally bands will meld the bass in with the guitar so you can barely hear it

Yeah, unfortunately lots of metal just mixes the bass out.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by d. b. cooper
Yeah, unfortunately lots of metal just mixes the bass out.

yeah i think thats bs how bass lines are just mimics of guitar lines. ima gonna create my own metal where every member has a significant and unique role. power to the bassists!!!
The problem is Metal albums have the Bass so low in the mix that you can barely distinguish them, and they play almost virtually the same thing as the rhythm guitarist.
Quote by BassTamer
yeah i think thats bs how bass lines are just mimics of guitar lines. ima gonna create my own metal where every member has a significant and unique role. power to the bassists!!!

Damn straight. I guess CC has some bass solos, Webster's amazing, but I can't think of too many examples where you can hear the bass while there are guitars playing too.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by doomed1

Exactly. You just have to learn what to listen for. You'll get it the more you play.

On a side note, this should REALLY be in the bass forum.
Quote by HorridxHopes
Exactly. You just have to learn what to listen for. You'll get it the more you play.

On a side note, this should REALLY be in the bass forum.

ok i posted in the bass forum under (Can you guys hear the bass?)
You already put this in the bass forum.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.